Sportsnet: Islanders ‘likely to offer’ 8-year deal to John Tavares

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
He's a franchise centre in the prime of his career. That's #1 wish-list for 20 plus teams. I don't think the Kessel comparison is that great as Kessel has always been a nice complimentary player while Tavares is the kind of player you build your team around.
I think a lot of teams would figure out a way to make it work, trade value and contract-wise.

He'll get back a Sequin-like return - but one that hopefully works out better for The Isle than it did for Boston.
Veteran player, young NHLer, two prospects that would be considered top 5 in their organization or prospect and 1st rounder.

Can't see there would be 20 teams with a wish for a franchise #1 C. Sure, 20 teams that may want to upgrade their own #1 C with JT but not 20 teams that are in need of a #1 C...

And even if there were, there certainly wouldn't be 20 teams that have the cap space to pay JT 9-10+mill a year. Actually, there are probably only a handful. Everyone else would need to jettison cap space somehow. Most of those teams probably wouldn't be able to (or willing too).

And after ALL that, that team would also need the assets to trade for JT...

So, of those that need a #1C (or really want to upgrade), can afford to move cap space around to afford ~10mill a year, they would also need to be one of those teams that JT is willing to move too...I think the final number will be very small. I would be surprised if there are more than 3 teams.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I hope the Isles lock him up for 8 years so that we won't have to see anymore threads about Tavares to Toronto.

I think this is a meme at this point as hardly anyone purposes this. We know getting JT means losing a significant forward in the future due to money. As much as JT is great and I would take him, at this point in his career, he's already in his prime and by the time of his new contract will have peaked and start declining in a few years, while making a ton of money.

I think Nylander/Marner can produce as much as he does, and be similar level players in every regard as Tavares isn't exactly a stud in area's other than offense and is average defensively if we are being really generous. The icing on the cake is they'll prob be 2-3 mil cheaper as well.

So yeah, Tavares is great, would love to have him, but theres no space for him with his future cap hit considering other options, and other teams can easily out bid the Leafs. I think we see a team like St. Louis, Nashville, Flyers, Carolina etc who have solid teams with good defense but want to bolster their center group make a play.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He resigns ,money is money.And if he doesnt like the direction of the team he can still move later,as iam sure he will have a nmc.And will always maintain control of where he plays

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Can't see there would be 20 teams with a wish for a franchise #1 C. Sure, 20 teams that may want to upgrade their own #1 C with JT but not 20 teams that are in need of a #1 C...

And even if there were, there certainly wouldn't be 20 teams that have the cap space to pay JT 9-10+mill a year. Actually, there are probably only a handful. Everyone else would need to jettison cap space somehow. Most of those teams probably wouldn't be able to (or willing too).

And after ALL that, that team would also need the assets to trade for JT...

So, of those that need a #1C (or really want to upgrade), can afford to move cap space around to afford ~10mill a year, they would also need to be one of those teams that JT is willing to move too...I think the final number will be very small. I would be surprised if there are more than 3 teams.

Yeah this is what I was trying to say before, maybe he misread what I meant I wasn't trying to say Kessel and Tavares have the same value, but that they were/are in the same situations which killed/kills the value. If the cap wasn't there, then sure 20 teams, probably 31 teams make a play for him.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think this is a meme at this point as hardly anyone purposes this. We know getting JT means losing a significant forward in the future due to money. As much as JT is great and I would take him, at this point in his career, he's already in his prime and by the time of his new contract will have peaked and start declining in a few years, while making a ton of money.

I think Nylander/Marner can produce as much as he does, and be similar level players in every regard as Tavares isn't exactly a stud in area's other than offense and is average defensively if we are being really generous. The icing on the cake is they'll prob be 2-3 mil cheaper as well.

So yeah, Tavares is great, would love to have him, but theres no space for him with his future cap hit considering other options, and other teams can easily out bid the Leafs. I think we see a team like St. Louis, Nashville, Flyers, Carolina etc who have solid teams with good defense but want to bolster their center group make a play.

Nylander and Marner can produce as much as Tavares and be as good as him in non-scoring areas? You heard it here first! Nylander and Marner are both gonna be as good as Tavares! Might as well hand over the next dozen Cups to the Leafs!

What an arrogant, idiotic statement.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Why are the leafs still obsessed with landing JT, you have Matthews and Nylander? Not to mention the TON of money those kids are going to get when their ELCs are up.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Why are the leafs still obsessed with landing JT, you have Matthews and Nylander? Not to mention the TON of money those kids are going to get when their ELCs are up.

Honestly I think a lot of this now is just Toronto media keeping the rumor mill going for clicks. A lot of their fans here seem to aware that JT doesn't make sense when there will be more pressing needs down the line. They should focus on improving the defense and probably will.

But hey, if they want to figure out how fit JT/Marner/Matthews/Nylander under the cap good luck!

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Wanted Tavares in Toronto more than I wanted Stamkos, but that was before we knew that we were drafting Matthews.

Tavares is a great player, but the ship has sailed in Toronto on several fronts. He will be a great piece, signed to a maximum contract by the Islanders.

If not, the Habs need to be on him like white on rice.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Sounds about right. 10M give or take is the price of a franchise player even in today's NHL with the cap slowing down. Look at Kopitar, Benn, even Burns contract which despite only having an 8M cap hit starts when he is 32 years old and has a 10M salary for the first four years.

10M is the magic number for franchise players, like it or not that's the way it is these days. Anywhere other than TB, Stamkos and Hedman would have gotten north of 9M up to 10M.

It's a good problem to have as a team if you have a player good enough to command 10M coming off of their RFA years.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
no cap space for the Leafs with extensions coming up soon

Dude, that's the least of the teams worry.

No chance in hell the Leafs would pass up on scooping Tavares up if given the opportunity, you worry about the cap-stuff after.

That's the price you pay for a top 10 center.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
So a possible 8 years $80 million offer to John Tavares, Can't see him being worth that much. At the most a similar deal that Stamkos signed 8 years $68 million or an AAV of $8.5 million at the very most.

Just IMO - but SY could sell Stamkos on "we're a legit Cup contender" and that taking a relatively small discount would allow the organization to keep the team together. I don't think that Snow can make that same statement.

And like it's been said - Stamkos didn't really take a big discount on his previous deal like Tavares did.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Leafs going after Tavares doesn't make much sense if you consider the only way it will happen is if they trade for him because logically if he rejects an extension from the Islanders, they'll shop him around and trade him to a team he is willing to extend with.

The Leafs already have their franchise centre in Auston Matthews. If they didn't have him, Tavares would be a great target. But unless you're a dilusional Leafs fan who thinks you're gonna get Tavares for Kapanen+1st+Bozak or something absurd like that, why would you make that trade?

Islanders should be able to create the type of market for Tavares where the ask would start with Marner or Nylander. "But he has only 1 year left on his deal, nobody is trading that much for a player with 1 year left!"....the rumored Shattenkirk for Drouin? O'Reilly to the Sabres? If the Islanders trade Tavares they'll likely do it in a situation where they send Tavares somewhere he wants to be with the trade off being Tavares has an opportunity to sign a 7 year contract before playing the next season and the team trading for him has a good idea that he wants to be there.

So my point is, why do the Leafs give up those huge trade chips when they have other pressing needs? Doesn't make sense.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Without looking it up I bet Stamkos might make more at an 8.5 cap hit in Tampa than JT with a 10 cap hit in NY.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Without looking it up I bet Stamkos might make more at an 8.5 cap hit in Tampa than JT with a 10 cap hit in NY.

It's close, I live in NJ but I'm looking it up and it looks like the state+city tax add up to about 12 percent. The situation for TB vs Canada is prob worse.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Leafs going after Tavares doesn't make much sense if you consider the only way it will happen is if they trade for him because logically if he rejects an extension from the Islanders, they'll shop him around and trade him to a team he is willing to extend with.

The Leafs already have their franchise centre in Auston Matthews. If they didn't have him, Tavares would be a great target. But unless you're a dilusional Leafs fan who thinks you're gonna get Tavares for Kapanen+1st+Bozak or something absurd like that, why would you make that trade?

Islanders should be able to create the type of market for Tavares where the ask would start with Marner or Nylander. "But he has only 1 year left on his deal, nobody is trading that much for a player with 1 year left!"....the rumored Shattenkirk for Drouin? O'Reilly to the Sabres? If the Islanders trade Tavares they'll likely do it in a situation where they send Tavares somewhere he wants to be with the trade off being Tavares has an opportunity to sign a 7 year contract before playing the next season and the team trading for him has a good idea that he wants to be there.

So my point is, why do the Leafs give up those huge trade chips when they have other pressing needs? Doesn't make sense.

On the bolded - my understanding is that deal fell apart because Shattenkirk wouldn't sign an extension, not because STL wanted a better return. And didn't ROR sign an extension just after the deal to BUFF? In those cases, the organization was willing to move "prime" assets for guys they were going to lock up, so JT would have to be willing to sign with the acquiring team for that type of deal to work.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
On the bolded - my understanding is that deal fell apart because Shattenkirk wouldn't sign an extension, not because STL wanted a better return. And didn't ROR sign an extension just after the deal to BUFF? In those cases, the organization was willing to move "prime" assets for guys they were going to lock up, so JT would have to be willing to sign with the acquiring team for that type of deal to work.
You also have to wonder if the return would be as large as some here believe it would be .JT holds all the cards ,he wouldnt want the team that he wants to play for. Gut their roster to get him,when he can just wait for another season then resign with whomever he wishes.

I still believe he resigns with them ,with a full NMC and will decide if he likes the way the team is heading .If not he will be asking to be traded

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
He has 1 year left on his deal.. it's not like we're gonna trade for 5.5M JT. If we trade for him we'll be paying him at full value. That said i'd do Galchenyuk + Sergachev + 1st if there's an extension in place.

Definitely agree with the trade offer.

Can the Islanders afford to pay him $10M per year for 8 years? I don't know.

I think Montreal should go for him and give him the same contract as Anze Kopitar signed last July.

$80M per year for 8 years. In an ideal world, I would give him Patrice Bergeron contract but I think Montreal should do whatever it takes to sign him. He's gonna be 27 and can give us at least 5 good years of what we have never had for the past 15 years.

Tavares
Weber
Price

NYI gets 2 promising young stars in Galchenyuk and Sergachev + 1st rounder 2017 (24th-ish overall)

What does NYI think of this? ******If JT doesn't sign with the Islanders*****

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
You forgot the :sarcasm:

Yes, it's probably more than he's worth but thats the way it works. He would easily get that on the open market. He works hard and just had a down year. I have no doubt he can get back to being a top 5-10 scorer in the league.

You have to pay your stars. If you let him walk you're a muuuuch worse team without him.

No, didn't forget any emojis. In my opinion JT is only going to regress more, as the game get faster.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
With salary cap increases, I'm not sure 8 years $80 million gets John Tavares to stay with the Islanders. This is a reflection of where the cap would go after next season.

It's difficult to compare Stamkos signing in Florida two years earlier when the total cap spend grows almost every season.

Tavares will be 27 years old when his contract expires. I think Tavares could make even more. He wouldn't get 8 years on another team though, but I would imagine the Islanders would have to pay $12m per year when everything is said and done.

What do I know? I didn't expect Stamkos to resign at $8.5m last year.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Extensions with O'Reilly was done after the trade.

Murray admitted at one point that he hadn't spoken to RORs camp before the trade.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Please don't generalize. JT is amazing but doesn't really fill a need for us and we have our #1C now. Most Leaf fans realize it would be poor cap allocation at this point.

Our biggest need is on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad