Player Discussion Isac Lundestrom

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I have little doubt that Lundestrom ends up being an elite forward in the NHL. People will wonder why he didn't go in the top five. I'll eat the crow if it's ever served to me.

Sounds like you think he has a chance to be a Patrice Bergeron-esque player. Which if he is and we end up with another prospect with a chance to be an elite center, we have a shot to be a cup contender relatively quickly with the right coach.

Reactions: Trojans86

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Sounds like you think he has a chance to be a Patrice Bergeron-esque player. Which if he is and we end up with another prospect with a chance to be an elite center, we have a shot to be a cup contender relatively quickly with the right coach.
That's the sort of center that I imagine him being, even with a shot at being a little better on offense.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
From what I saw of him when he played for the Ducks, he never looked out of his league...he fit right in, which is saying something for someone so young. He looked more like an NHLer than Terry, Steel, etc. No, he wasn't putting up points, but he made smart decisions, looked difficult to shake off the puck, etc.

Considering how the Ducks have played the entire year (winning games, winning streak being more a fluke), that's saying something.

He doesn't look to have an elite shot, but he'll be positionally sound and a stabilizing force for whichever line he's on. I have no doubt he'll be a good player for us.

Also, thanks Tiger for the translation.
I agree. His edgework is elite for NHL standards which in itself gives him a decently high ceiling. He needs to learn to be a playmaker without a doubt.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
My take while watching Isac is that he's so focused on making the right play and being in perfect defensive position that he doesnt put himself in dangerous offensive areas. As much as that is encouraging it's time for him to show he has elite offensive skills, I would hope he's being encouraged to start taking more chances and unlocking some of that offensive skill.
Yeah I saw that too. I feel like Silf is actually very similar in that regard and part of the reason he doesnt play as well on the Getzlaf line. Playing too responsible defensively can absolutely be a bad thing I'd you are never in position to attack. it is a balance. Sometimes your best defense is a good offense.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
That's the sort of center that I imagine him being, even with a shot at being a little better on offense.
So you project him to be better than Patrice? I'm generally optimistic but those are pretty loftly expectations.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Wow, there is some serious praise for lundestrom in this thread. Don't get me wrong, i like the guy and the dude looked quite good in his NHL stint especially with some nice flashes of stick handling and defensive responsibility but a better patrice bergeron? That's basically a top-1o or top-5 C in the league...

Reactions: JohnnyDrama

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
So you project him to be better than Patrice? I'm generally optimistic but those are pretty loftly expectations.
I didn't say that I expected him to be better. I said he has a shot at it. At this point probability factors into it, and I think there are plausible scenarios in which he does better(worse too, but this is about ceiling). Bergeron is where I'm placing my expectations at the moment.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Wow, there is some serious praise for lundestrom in this thread. Don't get me wrong, i like the guy and the dude looked quite good in his NHL stint especially with some nice flashes of stick handling and defensive responsibility but a better patrice bergeron? That's basically a top-1o or top-5 C in the league...
I said 'elite' for a reason.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I didn't say that I expected him to be better. I said he has a shot at it. At this point probability factors into it, and I think there are a plausible scenarios in which he does better(worse too, but this is about ceiling). Bergeron is where I'm placing my expectations at the moment.
Okay, so you are saying that is his ceiling, right? Not your expectation?

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
What were Bergeron's numbers and projection prior to his NHL career?

I'm just thinking that saying this prospect, who has shown some good intelligence, is possible Bergeron or higher ceiling, is really, really pumping him up. I'm not saying it's not possible, but before he really shows anything, I'm much more conservative about my expectations. I do think he could very definitely be a 2C, but need to see much more before I say he's 1C or elite 1C potential.

Reactions: Elf and Trojans86

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Remember, for his age his numbers in SHL is on an extremely high level. They're comparable to elite centers like Henrik Sedin, Nicklas Backstrom and such. And one full year ahead of Pahlsson in development, who never was that much of a scorer in SHL (good but not ace) . I'd say Pahlsson is a slower, heavier and more defensive version of Lundestrom so he should have a higher ceiling than him.

So don't necessarily underestimate his potential. He won't probably projectile to a Sedin-level although if he can get himself into the right mindset he might start to produce on a high level also in NHL. Especially if you could mate him with a winger with an elite shot and an at least half-decent playmaker on the other side. BTW, that's basically how they've put together his line in SHL right now.

I'd put his potential at worst as a 3rd line center but 1-2 is definitely possible. I think this spring will tell what he really might be capable of, and if he can be reasonably close to 1 PPG then that should probably get him going (1 PPG in SHL is not that easy though, there's much less scoring than in NHL. Scoring leader is now at .88). What he's showed so far looks promising at least.

Re. WJC he was playing with illness for some games, but also there I felt he put a bit too much emphasize on the defensive play. It wasn't until the last period in the QF he release the brakes, then he was quite good and definitely the driving force on the team, but it was too late already.

Last edited:

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I'm also not saying he won't have very high potential. I really liked what I saw from him when he was with the Ducks.

I'm interested to see him with solid linemates and a team that can hold its own in general without having to rely on Gibby just to keep them in games.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

I'm just thinking that saying this prospect, who has shown some good intelligence, is possible Bergeron or higher ceiling, is really, really pumping him up. I'm not saying it's not possible, but before he really shows anything, I'm much more conservative about my expectations. I do think he could very definitely be a 2C, but need to see much more before I say he's 1C or elite 1C potential.
He was not projected to be the player that he became.

He also came out of Canadian junior. The numbers comparison is going to be meaningless.

Reactions: Getz2perry

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Hmmm, okay. Thanks Exit. We'll just have to keep an eye on him. I hope he's playing for the Ducks next year.

This is another indication of the strength of our player evaluation and drafting, eh?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Hmmm, okay. Thanks Exit. We'll just have to keep an eye on him. I hope he's playing for the Ducks next year.

This is another indication of the strength of our player evaluation and drafting, eh?
I don't think their talent at finding forward gems in the draft is on par with what they've done with defensemen and goalies, but it's not that far off, either. Call it the one silver lining of the poop cloud currently hovering over the team.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Call it the one silver lining of the poop cloud currently hovering over the team.
DQ8ZgDHG95-10.png

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Bergeron is worthy of a number 1 overall pick in most drafts. Not sure if Lundy is there. I agree with Bran. I could see his ceiling being Bergeron but even that seems generous to me. My expectations are around a 2c or maybe even a 3c.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I see more of a Sean Couturier. Super advanced at a young age, offense still coming

Gotta be patient with this guy

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Bergeron is worthy of a number 1 overall pick in most drafts. Not sure if Lundy is there. I agree with Bran. I could see his ceiling being Bergeron but even that seems generous to me. My expectations are around a 2c or maybe even a 3c.
I don’t think Bergeron is #1 overall pick worthy most years at all.

1st overall picks from 2004-2018

Ovechkin
Crosby
Erik Johnson
Kane
Stamkos
Tavares
Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Mackinnon
Ekblad
McDavid
Matthews
Heischier
Dahlin

There’s no way you’re taking him over most of those guys...he’s only clearly better than 5 of those guys (Johnson, RNH, Yakupov,Ekblad, Hischier)

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I suspect that you don't know what those numbers mean. Few players crack into the SHL from ages 16 to 18, even fewer stay in that league for longer than single digit games, but he was there for two full seasons before he was drafted. His numbers at those ages would be considered good for a 19 or 20 year old breaking in to that league.

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm not seeing the problem at the lower levels, either.

I think the issue in your logic is that making SHL at a young age does not necessarily correlate to high end offensive upside. He made the SHL at a young age because he is a mature, responsible, and cerebral player. However, there is not much evidence thus far that he has offensive upside of a Bergeron type player. That would be projecting a very steep offensive development curve.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Lol at the expectation that any prospect (not drafted in top 3ish) be as good as one of the best 2 way centers of all time, in Bergeron. Not sure if folks are overestimating Lunderstrom or underrating Bergeron, but my guess is both.

Last edited:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I don’t think Bergeron is #1 overall pick worthy most years at all.

1st overall picks from 2004-2018

Ovechkin
Crosby
Erik Johnson
Kane
Stamkos
Tavares
Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Mackinnon
Ekblad
McDavid
Matthews
Heischier
Dahlin

There’s no way you’re taking him over most of those guys...he’s only clearly better than 5 of those guys (Johnson, RNH, Yakupov,Ekblad, Hischier)
Only guys I'd take over bergeron are Ovi Crosby McDavid. I'd put him on the Matthew's and Mackinnon level.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Only guys I'd take over bergeron are Ovi Crosby McDavid. I'd put him on the Matthew's and Mackinnon level.
Fair enough, but I totally disagree with the thinking. MacK is a 100+ point player and as overrated as Matthews has been he is still a dominant above PPG player at the age of 21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad