Player Discussion Isac Lundestrom

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
An Assist in today's game in SHL and most ice time (20 min) among forwards two games in a row. According to me Lundeström is quite dominant out on the ice.
Love this, will borrow it :laugh:

The TOI was inflated due to the game going to OT but hard to argue against letting one of your top prospects play 20+ minutes a night for one of the best teams in the SHL. He simply wouldn't have had the same opportunity in North America.

Basically 24 mins. He`s getting Getzlaffed, lol

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He should have been there all year.

Yes, he should have. But too many people on here mocked me for the sentiment that having several different coaches in a small amount of time probably messed him up. From SHL, to rookie camp, to NHL level, to AHL level, and then to WJC in what... nine to 10 months?

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
A Google Translate from the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet after last night's game:

AFTONBLADET
Lundestrom already dominates SHL

Photo: SIMON ELIASSON / BILDBYRAN
by Johan Hakansson
HOCKEY Saturday 18:12

I know, I know - I wrote that we should all give him time.
But Isac Lundestrom didn't need it. It took him three rounds to dominate SHL and the question that feels most relevant right now is:
How could Anaheim release him?

Normally, in a chronicle about Lulea, we usually pay tribute to the collective, the team, the machine, the work morale and the accuracy. But now I simply feel obliged to highlight the individual.
When it became clear that Lundestrom would return to SHL and Lulea, I was completely convinced that it would be a rather painful return. I assumed that it would be a sprained self-confidence, readjustment problems and everything that usually hit players who come home and should correspond to the fans' soaring expectations.
But Lundestrom is not as good as he was when he left Lulea in the pre-season.
He is much better.

Impressed with the effort
This was his third match after the return and his first period against Farjestad was something incredible. Sometimes I yelled at the press room, sometimes I happily giggled. It was a long time since I saw an individual player dominate a SHL match that way.
Basically every time he was on the ice, every time he touched the puck, it was as if the game was changing. Lundestrom has that fortune that characterizes a real class player who make the whole environment simply adhere to his conditions. If he wants to lower the tempo and make the game slow then he does. If he wants to take full speed, no one is hanging on to him.
Lundestrom was behind Lulea's first two goals, and when he dominated the worst, it was as if someone released Gretzky in the middle of SHL's well trained but limited blue collar workers.
So Lundestrom needed no time at all to take the leadership role in Lulea and that means that we actually have to completely re-evaluate the team's position.

Starting to get some favorite stamp
Lulea was already a team that could go all the way before the return of super talent, but with him it almost resembles a favorite stamp. Lulea's center position is absolutely fantastic where there is now an abundance. This has the coach "Bulan" Berglund at least temporarily solved in powerplay by simply playing Lundestrom at the same time as Niklas Olausson.
When you see Lundestrom grab the puck in his own zone, look up and then majestically move across the ice it is only to realize that Lulea really got a present from Anaheim Ducks. Of course, with this game, the center belongs in the NHL, but it is only to thank for the time we get to enjoy his all-round knowledge.
Lulea most recently dismissed HV 71 on an away game and then at home for great parts outplayed Farjestad. So that's two of SHL's absolutely strongest teams and right now Lulea feels like the heaviest and most complete team in the series.
The red machine, which we have rewritten before.
With an important change - they now have a player who can dominate and determine any match.
Finally, let's hope that Lulea and Farjestad will meet in the playoffs. This was a magnificent hockey match and a series between these teams cannot be anything but amazing.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I have little doubt that Lundestrom ends up being an elite forward in the NHL. People will wonder why he didn't go in the top five. I'll eat the crow if it's ever served to me.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
A Google Translate from the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet after last night's game:

AFTONBLADET

by Johan Hakansson

But Isac Lundestrom didn't need it. It took him three rounds to dominate SHL and the question that feels most relevant right now is:

Normally, in a chronicle about Lulea, we usually pay tribute to the collective, the team, the machine, the work morale and the accuracy. But now I simply feel obliged to highlight the individual.
When it became clear that Lundestrom would return to SHL and Lulea, I was completely convinced that it would be a rather painful return. I assumed that it would be a sprained self-confidence, readjustment problems and everything that usually hit players who come home and should correspond to the fans' soaring expectations.
He is much better.

This was his third match after the return and his first period against Farjestad was something incredible. Sometimes I yelled at the press room, sometimes I happily giggled. It was a long time since I saw an individual player dominate a SHL match that way.
Basically every time he was on the ice, every time he touched the puck, it was as if the game was changing. Lundestrom has that fortune that characterizes a real class player who make the whole environment simply adhere to his conditions. If he wants to lower the tempo and make the game slow then he does. If he wants to take full speed, no one is hanging on to him.
Lundestrom was behind Lulea's first two goals, and when he dominated the worst, it was as if someone released Gretzky in the middle of SHL's well trained but limited blue collar workers.
So Lundestrom needed no time at all to take the leadership role in Lulea and that means that we actually have to completely re-evaluate the team's position.

Lulea was already a team that could go all the way before the return of super talent, but with him it almost resembles a favorite stamp. Lulea's center position is absolutely fantastic where there is now an abundance. This has the coach "Bulan" Berglund at least temporarily solved in powerplay by simply playing Lundestrom at the same time as Niklas Olausson.
When you see Lundestrom grab the puck in his own zone, look up and then majestically move across the ice it is only to realize that Lulea really got a present from Anaheim Ducks. Of course, with this game, the center belongs in the NHL, but it is only to thank for the time we get to enjoy his all-round knowledge.
Lulea most recently dismissed HV 71 on an away game and then at home for great parts outplayed Farjestad. So that's two of SHL's absolutely strongest teams and right now Lulea feels like the heaviest and most complete team in the series.
With an important change - they now have a player who can dominate and determine any match.
Finally, let's hope that Lulea and Farjestad will meet in the playoffs. This was a magnificent hockey match and a series between these teams cannot be anything but amazing.
Thanks for the update. That is awesome to hear. He has the tools just needs to learn to be a playmaker and scorer. This is the perfect opportunity for him where his tools are so far beyond the competition that he can dominate and work on his playmaking. He has a really high floor. Like maybe a 3c. I'm not sure yet what his ceiling is.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Perhaps at this point in his career he’s simply more comfortable and confident in the SHL. He wasn’t lighting the world on fire over here, in either professional league nor the World Juniors, albeit sample size. I think the Ducks made the correct decision for his long term development and it looks like Lulea, Lundy are reaping the immediate benefits and hopefully eventually the Ducks reap the benefits as well. He thinks the game at an elite level already and basically has all the pre-requisite skills to be extremely successful in the NHL. This is great news.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

AFTONBLADET

by Johan Hakansson

He is much better.

Obviously points aren’t everything, but that seems like exceptionally high praise for a guy who had one assist. Especially when Lunderstrom has a tendency for “playing well” without the points to show for it.

I have no doubt he can be a Lowry, Backlund, fadska type. The question is whether he will ever produce enough offense to be a ROR, Kesler (previous version), or Stall type.

Reactions: Goose of Reason

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Obviously points aren’t everything, but that seems like exceptionally high praise for a guy who had one assist. Especially when Lunderstrom has a tendency for “playing well” without the points to show for it.

I have no doubt he can be a Lowry, Backlund, fadska type. The question is whether he will ever produce enough offense to be a ROR, Kesler (previous version), or Stall type.

Lol yeah that is an insanely optimistic report on him. Not to take anything away from him and how good of a season he's had, but that makes him sound like an Elias Pettersson-like player.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Lol yeah that is an insanely optimistic report on him. Not to take anything away from him and how good of a season he's had, but that makes him sound like an Elias Pettersson-like player.
I don't think he'll ever be producing points at a rate even close to EP. If that's what's expected you'll be very disappointed.

On the other hand, he's already an SHL elite 2-way C and has the ability to create space and time for his teammates. And there's no leaking on his own end (in WJC he was not on ice for a goal against during the whole tournament, so far in SHL he's 5-1 in total where the -1 was an individual D mistake). He reads the game on a level I've not seen on any player I can remember in SHL for years, always at ther right place at the right time, taking the right decisions. But the points, especially goals, has to come from others.

He does his best from his own zone up to the blue line, and along the boards. Although, he's got a very good shot when he uses it, and that probably is what he needs to learn to do more often. Something he has in common with a lot of Swedish players, it's not part of the Viking DNA I presume :D

In a recent interview he expressed feeling good coming back home. The time in US had been very exciting but he felt a bit tired from constantly living in hotel rooms. Anaheim actually put him on 1 week forced vacation after coming over here, not even allowed to practice with the team...
Regarding SHL/NHL difference he claims the main difference is that there's more time with the puck over here. Also AHL is a very fast league, similar to NHL in that respect. Quite natural given the rink size difference I guess (not having personal experience from North American hockey).

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I don't think he'll ever be producing points at a rate even close to EP. If that's what's expected you'll be very disappointed.

On the other hand, he's already an SHL elite 2-way C and has the ability to create space and time for his teammates. And there's no leaking on his own end (in WJC he was not on ice for a goal against during the whole tournament, so far in SHL he's 5-1 in total where the -1 was an individual D mistake). He reads the game on a level I've not seen on any player I can remember in SHL for years, always at ther right place at the right time, taking the right decisions. But the points, especially goals, has to come from others.

He does his best from his own zone up to the blue line, and along the boards. Although, he's got a very good shot when he uses it, and that probably is what he needs to learn to do more often. Something he has in common with a lot of Swedish players, it's not part of the Viking DNA I presume :D

In a recent interview he expressed feeling good coming back home. The time in US had been very exciting but he felt a bit tired from constantly living in hotel rooms. Anaheim actually put him on 1 week forced vacation after coming over here, not even allowed to practice with the team...
Regarding SHL/NHL difference he claims the main difference is that there's more time with the puck over here. Also AHL is a very fast league, similar to NHL in that respect. Quite natural given the rink size difference I guess (not having personal experience from North American hockey).
This actually sounds like Pahlsson.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Most Swedish players do take a while to develop their goal scoring prowess (EP is an exception) so it will be interesting to see how much of a goal scorer Lundestrom will become as he matures. That ability is what will separate him from being a 2C or a 3C.

Hopefully Pahlsson is the floor for Lundestrom.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Most Swedish players do take a while to develop their goal scoring prowess (EP is an exception) so it will be interesting to see how much of a goal scorer Lundestrom will become as he matures. That ability is what will separate him from being a 2C or a 3C.

Hopefully Pahlsson is the floor for Lundestrom.
Doubt he's the floor lol pahlsson was a maniac

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Doubt he's the floor lol pahlsson was a maniac

Yes, he was a defensive dynamo no doubt. But I'm sure the Ducks are hoping to get more out of Lundestrom at both ends of the ice. Pahlsson was great but didn't earn his pay in the opponents end. I'd be disappointed if Lundestrom topped out as a strong defensive center.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

The numbers he put up leading to this year were well above average for players his age in that league. When it comes to the SHL you need to understand that the numbers aren't going to be high. It's different than junior or even college for that matter.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
The numbers he put up leading to this year were well above average for players his age in that league. When it comes to the SHL you need to understand that the numbers aren't going to be high. It's different than junior or even college for that matter.

Of course I understand that, but his career didn’t start in the SHL. Look at his scoring in international play , U16, and allvenskan. Not to mention the large consensus of scouting reports.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It`s very exciting to read things like that but yeah, if he`s such an elite star there, why he wasn`t like that even in the WJCs? Something seems fishy.
He will be an NHL player but so far he hasn`t show he will be a top6 one. I`ll be rooting for him to become one tho

Reactions: Trojans86

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
From what I saw of him when he played for the Ducks, he never looked out of his league...he fit right in, which is saying something for someone so young. He looked more like an NHLer than Terry, Steel, etc. No, he wasn't putting up points, but he made smart decisions, looked difficult to shake off the puck, etc.

Considering how the Ducks have played the entire year (winning games, winning streak being more a fluke), that's saying something.

He doesn't look to have an elite shot, but he'll be positionally sound and a stabilizing force for whichever line he's on. I have no doubt he'll be a good player for us.

Also, thanks Tiger for the translation.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I did and I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

He has not put up numbers in any league/tournament that would indicate a high level of NHL offensive upside.

That is not to say it is not possible he further develops.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He has not put up numbers in any league/tournament that would indicate a high level of NHL offensive upside.

That is not to say it is not possible he further develops.
I suspect that you don't know what those numbers mean. Few players crack into the SHL from ages 16 to 18, even fewer stay in that league for longer than single digit games, but he was there for two full seasons before he was drafted. His numbers at those ages would be considered good for a 19 or 20 year old breaking in to that league.

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm not seeing the problem at the lower levels, either.

Reactions: Getz2perry

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
My take while watching Isac is that he's so focused on making the right play and being in perfect defensive position that he doesnt put himself in dangerous offensive areas. As much as that is encouraging it's time for him to show he has elite offensive skills, I would hope he's being encouraged to start taking more chances and unlocking some of that offensive skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad