Player Discussion Is there anything redeeming about the Eric Staal trade?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think that this trade might be worse than anything Sather either has ever done or has done in at least 10 years.

Looking at the facts. The Rangers were pretty clearly not a cup contender this year. I have a hard time believing that Eric Staal at his peak could bring the Rangers the cup, much less what Eric Staal was this season. From my understanding he's a UFA after this season. So we traded a couple of draft picks and a good prospect for one year of a mediocre player that even if he played above his head was not getting us a cup. Now Saarela will likely never be a superstar but even if he turns into a Fast type player, I can't see trading Fast and 2 2nds for one year of a mediocre old 3rd line player, who was a mediocre 3rd line player when we traded for him being a good idea. This is the type of high risk low reward traded made due to name recognition that has made me lose faith in Gorton and the Rangers for the upcoming years. Looks like something from the 90s. For all his faults we haven't seen a trade like this by Sather at least since the first lockout. The Yandle trade isn't even close as we were cup contenders and Yandle was a much better player than Staal.

Does anyone see anything redeeming or was it just a terrible terrible trade?
It did not work.

I cannot fault management for trying. Unlike you, they and I thought the team was a Cup contender.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
It did not work.

I cannot fault management for trying. Unlike you, they and I thought the team was a Cup contender.

They clearly werent a legitimate contender. That being said, giving a run one last try isn't completely contemptnable. It was just a bad calculation on their part. Here's hoping that Saarela doesn't come back to bite us for the next decade.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
It did not work.

Well, hate to say it, but you were very wrong, like management. Most of us knew they were not a real cup contender this year.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Is him being resigned to a reasonable deal something that has already been stated as not happening? Just curious haven't been following it at all.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The most frustrating part is the continual desire to chase the name / UFA for flexibility.

Trade the same assets for a LT answer at 3C and I have no beef at all. Trading assets over and over for players that have NO chance of being long term core players is impressively dumb and frustrating to watch.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The most frustrating part is the continual desire to chase the name / UFA for flexibility.

Trade the same assets for a LT answer at 3C and I have no beef at all. Trading assets over and over for players that have NO chance of being long term core players is impressively dumb and frustrating to watch.

I'm offended.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It did not work.

Just wondering what outside of the success of the last two years and the tired flawed "well we have Lundqvist" argument made you think they were a contender.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
struggled with this one "Is there anything redeeming about the Eric Staal trade?"

wanted to say maybe he sucked less that Ryan Clowe,
but he cost more, and maybe he didn't...

Ryan Clowe was actually pretty decent, his problem was the injuries not his play

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Just wondering what outside of the success of the last two years and the tired flawed "well we have Lundqvist" argument made you think they were a contender.

1. I'm not sure anyone thought they were a "sure bet contender", but there was no reason the team couldn't have made a deep run. (I know millenials are either all about going all in to win only if it's all but guaranteed and would rather finish last than make an effort otherwise.) Did anyone think Tampa was going to be one win away from a return trip to the SCF?

2. They were SECOND in the Eastern Conference. They were flawed, but so was EVERYONE else, including Washington. Personally, I think they could have (not saying would have) beaten anyone else in the East except Pittsburgh.

3. They were playing well, and seemed to have gotten over that December/early January weirdness. Also, the season was, IMO, more weird than necessarily bad.

4. Your Lundqvist point (and no matter what nevesis and other Hank defenders say, Hank had a down season save for the first two months) about getting hot in the playoffs.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
One redeeming feature - the trade showed us that, despite the changes, Rangers management is still stuck on stupid.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
For all of you who thought the Rangers had no chance in this years playoffs, how many of you had San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa and Pittsburgh in their final four? Probably the same guys who wanted Alex Semin last summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad