Player Discussion Is there anything redeeming about the Eric Staal trade?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Cally was clearly on the decline...and MSL helped us get to the conference finals and Stanley cup finals...that trade was definitely not worse. And MSL was what, the 8th leading scorer when he was traded? He was actually still...good.

We didn't win the cup. So the deal didn't work out. And we could have no doubt traded Cally for a 1st in a standalone deal. MSL wasn't going to waive his NTC to go anywhere else, yet we essentially traded three first round picks for him. No, after all is said and done that deal is worse. Losing a couple late 2nd round picks and a middle of the road prospect isn't going to kill your future. Three 1st rounders is a different story.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
We didn't win the cup. So the deal didn't work out. And we could have no doubt traded Cally for a 1st in a standalone deal. MSL wasn't going to waive his NTC to go anywhere else, yet we essentially traded three first round picks for him. No, after all is said and done that deal is worse. Losing a couple late 2nd round picks and a middle of the road prospect isn't going to kill your future. Three 1st rounders is a different story.

Saarela isn't a "middle of the road" prospect.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
My response is still what it was at the time. I thought the VALUE was good (2 2nds plus our 5/6/7 prospect for a former #1 center who might benefit from a change of scenery, at 50% salary retained), but did have worries about the DIRECTION of the move.

So, in terms of what might be a positive... perhaps this will finally be the last deal in that DIRECTION? And perhaps the VALUE gives good evidence of what we could get for a much better player (Nash), signed longer term, IF we are willing to retain salary?

But leaving aside the implications, and focusing only on the deal itself...? Yeah, no – there's not much redeeming about it at all, I'm afraid.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I think that this trade might be worse than anything Sather either has ever done or has done in at least 10 years.

Does anyone see anything redeeming or was it just a terrible terrible trade?

Redeeming? The only redeeming thing now is I don't have to see the players that were traded away playing for a hated enemy.

I see Hagelin in a Pens jersey, and all I see is Evil Spock.... It's just plain wrong.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Redeeming?

The NYR have hit rock-bottom on deals like that?

The front office and management will be sellers now for a year or two instead of buyers?

Wishful thinking?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
In what way was it a good trade? Everything about it was bad.

People still love the goddamn awful MSL and Yandle trades. Everyone and their mother is tripping over themselves trying to explain away the Hagelin trade.

This place is NOT a good place to analyze hockey long term.

Compared to losing all of the picks that our amateur scouting dept has been hitting home runs with for over a decade or compared to losing a budding big time player in Duclair, or an all around crucial cog in the middle of the lineup like Hags it was easier for people to get behind a trade that only lost a 2nd round pick and Saarela (Who may be Roman Horak in terms of NHL success for all we know though I admit to complete and utter ignorance of Saarela and his abilities.)

Management has been near the worst in the league for three years and I'm out of the requisite 82, 2 and a half hour long ***** needed to give each year. Let alone follow a team and carolina. So I had no idea Staal's game had gone to such crap. I was thrilled we didn't piss away buchnevich, Skjei or McI. In hindsight I should have asked more questions rather than vote simply because they didn't make as terrible of a move as they usually do

Last edited:

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
It was worth it ! Didn't you guys see those 3 good games he played with the berg's??

It reminded me of the minute Mcilrath and Yandle were the most dominating defensive pair in the NHL.

What a time to be alive back then......

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It was worth it ! Didn't you guys see those 3 good games he played with the berg's??

It reminded me of the minute Mcilrath and Yandle were the most dominating defensive pair in the NHL.

What a time to be alive back then......

If only our evil coach would have kept those combinations together and sat Glass. If only.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The trade was horrendous from the get go for so many reasons. Our fanbase just doesn't learn. We went out and got the biggest name available with no eye towards any other consideration like the current makeup of the roster. The front office satisfied the newspapers and the majority of the fanbase who just want big names.

This trade is also the reason why I think anyone who believes the front office is going to do some sort of rebuild/retool is delusional. It's easy for us to say the team wasn't a cup contender but the front office obviously thought we were. They likely still think the team is a cup contender.

Last edited:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Saarela isn't a "middle of the road" prospect.

Don't think I've ever seen a top 50 prospect list with his name on it. Took a quick look just now at HFBoards and TSN's rankings and he's not included. Not sure what makes him anything more than a middle of the road prospect. Odds are he'll never amount to much at the NHL level, but time will tell.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Maybe only if this trade served as a lesson for the Rangers to not sell the farm when they're not contenders.

But we all know it won't.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Don't think I've ever seen a top 50 prospect list with his name on it. Took a quick look just now at HFBoards and TSN's rankings and he's not included. Not sure what makes him anything more than a middle of the road prospect. Odds are he'll never amount to much at the NHL level, but time will tell.

You're looking at this the wrong way.

The important factor isn't where Saarela ranks as a prospect on a league wide level, it's what his value was to THIS organization.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You're looking at this the wrong way.

The important factor isn't where Saarela ranks as a prospect on a league wide level, it's what his value was to THIS organization.

This is completely backwards. What matter is how he ranks league wide. Not in this organization. Who cares if a player is our #1 prospect if league-wide he's not seen as a good prospect and is expected to be like a 4th liner. We should still value him that highly because he's our best prospect?

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Well if you had actually followed him this season then I think you'd understand me... but it seems quite evident that you most likely didn't.

I'm not trying to say he's a surefire first liner in the future but he's certainly not as meh as you're seemingly making him out to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad