Player Discussion Is there anything redeeming about the Eric Staal trade?

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
About the only way it might have worked out even a little for the Rangers is if whichever pro scout recommended trading for Staal got reassigned. But then the no accountability thing would be compromised.

Completely agree. It proved we have the worst pro scouts in the league.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I guess Gorton/Slats (accurately) felt that this was the last year when the Rangers could contend, so they took a stab at it. He was arguably the best player they could've gotten and the feeling must've been that maybe he or the team will get hot and pull it off. Even another SCF loss would've been an exciting result.

From here on, we start the steady decline out of the playoffs. The team could quickly rebuild by trading all the 28+ guys for youth/picks, which would add the excitement of knowing we have a lot of youth and a bright near future. Instead, they will make us bleed slowly, for years, as we will be told that we can make the playoffs and then "anything can happen." But "anything" won't be happening. We'll miss the playoffs or lose in the first round, with the most exciting things in the next half a dozen or more years being one second round upset.

I agree with most of this post but I also think it's a bit optimistic to say they could quickly rebuild by trading all the 28+ guys. This is the same pipe dream we were hearing during the lockout. How has this worked for Edmonton? It's possible we'll get lucky, have a ****** season and draft the next Crosby. But it's also possible that we'll not be bad enough or no one will be great enough to turn this franchise around. How do you know that they could quickly rebuild? Is it a better route than what you and I think will actually happen? A lot of mediocrity. Perhaps. But you're making it sound like a definite route. Either way, I'm not looking forward to Rangers hockey or a long long time.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I think that this trade might be worse than anything Sather either has ever done or has done in at least 10 years.

Looking at the facts. The Rangers were pretty clearly not a cup contender this year. I have a hard time believing that Eric Staal at his peak could bring the Rangers the cup, much less what Eric Staal was this season. From my understanding he's a UFA after this season. So we traded a couple of draft picks and a good prospect for one year of a mediocre player that even if he played above his head was not getting us a cup. Now Saarela will likely never be a superstar but even if he turns into a Fast type player, I can't see trading Fast and 2 2nds for one year of a mediocre old 3rd line player, who was a mediocre 3rd line player when we traded for him being a good idea. This is the type of high risk low reward traded made due to name recognition that has made me lose faith in Gorton and the Rangers for the upcoming years. Looks like something from the 90s. For all his faults we haven't seen a trade like this by Sather at least since the first lockout. The Yandle trade isn't even close as we were cup contenders and Yandle was a much better player than Staal.

Does anyone see anything redeeming or was it just a terrible terrible trade?

I hope it was sather arm twisting Gorton! If not, then we are cooked until further notice ! When 80-90 percent of us think it's bad, you know somebody is really stupid!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So for some perspective, Patrick Kane was arguably the best player in the NHL this season and they got eliminated in the 1st round. The Hawks were better than the Rangers minus Kane. Even if we got Kane instead of Staal for no roster players (I know he plays a different position and we're deep at wing) we still wouldn't come close to winning it all. But we got a mediocre 3rd liner.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I think the redeeming part of the trade was to rid the Rangers of those pesky things called, draft picks. Think about how much time it keeps us from spending giving a **** about the entry draft. I applaud Gorton for it.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
At least its not a 5 year 30 million albatross.

This and hopefully we've learned our lesson making these kind of trades. Staal was clearly a shell of his former self albeit he wasn't used entirely correctly by AV but that's moot at this point.
Although I wasn't favor of the yandle trade cause felt we gave up a lot yandle was terrific here.
We have to stop with the Ryan clowe type trades. Giving up two second round picks at a time is NOT a good thing.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Maybe it's time to reverse the trend and get teams to go for our "stars". Go out and get 2 second rounders and a prospect for Nash. Go out and get a second and third for m. Staal.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers have always been suckers for big names and usually when they land one he's past his prime.

.....and here we have a story where we reunite two brothers......and that's a narrative that went right down the ****ter.

The Rangers overestimated how good they were and they overestimated how good Eric Staal is now. Compounding that a few players got injured as well.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Maybe it's time to reverse the trend and get teams to go for our "stars". Go out and get 2 second rounders and a prospect for Nash. Go out and get a second and third for m. Staal.

I'd hope that Nash could garner a 1st.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The only redeeming thing I can think of is that they didn't add a first or Buchnevich. I am going to be pissed about Saarela for awhile.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The only redeeming thing I can think of is that they didn't add a first or Buchnevich. I am going to be pissed about Saarela for awhile.

Pretty much this. But let's not act like we gave away Marc Savard all over again. Saarela was, at best, our 6th best prospect in the system if you count Skjei and Buchnevich.

He's a good prospect that probably will be a solid top 9 forward if he stays healthy, but he was the riskiest out of him, Kovacs, and Gropp of one day being an NHL forward, IMO.

Saarela will be forgotten about when the Rangers take a better prospect with a high pick that they trade for in a few weeks :)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I agree with most of this post but I also think it's a bit optimistic to say they could quickly rebuild by trading all the 28+ guys. This is the same pipe dream we were hearing during the lockout. How has this worked for Edmonton? It's possible we'll get lucky, have a ****** season and draft the next Crosby. But it's also possible that we'll not be bad enough or no one will be great enough to turn this franchise around. How do you know that they could quickly rebuild? Is it a better route than what you and I think will actually happen? A lot of mediocrity. Perhaps. But you're making it sound like a definite route. Either way, I'm not looking forward to Rangers hockey or a long long time.

Lundqvist, Nash, Zuccarello, Brassard would all bring a couple first rounders or more. Klein would bring back a second rounder. Staal and Girardi would bring back a second rounder too if we picked up some salary. Could be picks or equivalent prospects. This should produce 5-7 NHL players.

The team would still have Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Lindberg, Fast, Butcher up front, and McDonagh, McIlrath, Skjei, Graves on defense. Plus there would be a few more guys who could reasonably make the NHL in a lesser capacity (4 line or 13F/7D): Hrivik, Jensen, Nieves, Fogarty, Gropp, Andersson. Reasonably a couple of them make it. That's roughly 13 guys who available plus 5-7 guys we acquire plus whoever we draft.

That would produce results as soon as they mature.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Callahan and two 1sts for MSL is worse. That's pretty recent.

Cally was clearly on the decline...and MSL helped us get to the conference finals and Stanley cup finals...that trade was definitely not worse. And MSL was what, the 8th leading scorer when he was traded? He was actually still...good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad