Player Discussion Is there anything redeeming about the Eric Staal trade?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't think the cost of the Yandle trade was a problem, but I actually still maintain that deal made the team worse. The pairings were immediately thrown into disarray.

I have little problem with what the Rangers paid for Eric Staal. I think the bigger issue was targeting him in particular. Teddy Purcell would have been a better fit. Dale Weise would have been a better fit. There were better targets out there.

You have little problem with the Rangers doling out 3 assets for a shell of a player? Agree to disagree there.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You have little problem with the Rangers doling out 3 assets for a shell of a player? Agree to disagree there.

3 low grade assets on a bet that Staals problem was the Hurricanes, and his boredom there, and not the player himself. Sure, I think it's the right value. It didn't work out, because that's just how it goes sometimes. A little predictable. Very predictable, really. Risk is inherent to this.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
3 low grade assets on a bet that Staals problem was the Hurricanes, and his boredom there, and not the player himself. Sure, I think it's the right value. It didn't work out, because that's just how it goes sometimes. A little predictable. Very predictable, really. Risk is inherent to this.

They also had to add to get them to retain 50% of his contract.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

Disagree with calling them 'low-grade' assets. Has a different effect when we've already shipped out so many prospect and draft picks. Every one you do have becomes that much more valuable.

So we shipped them out for 20 games of Eric Staal and one playoff run.

Jeesh

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Disagree with calling them 'low-grade' assets. Has a different effect when we've already shipped out so many prospect and draft picks. Every one you do have becomes that much more valuable.

So we shipped them out for 20 games of Eric Staal and one playoff run.

Jeesh

A 7th round pick doesn't become more valuable if you've traded your 1st-6th rounders.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
They also had to add to get them to retain 50% of his contract.

Why did they "have to add"? Carolina wanted to trade Staal. Staal wanted to go to the Rangers. The only way that could happen was for Carolina to eat some salary to fit in with the Rangers' cap situation.

If they had to add, they could have walked away from the deal. That is an option.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Why did they "have to add"? Carolina wanted to trade Staal. Staal wanted to go to the Rangers. The only way that could happen was for Carolina to eat some salary to fit in with the Rangers' cap situation.

If they had to add, they could have walked away from the deal. That is an option.

again, that deal had Sather written all over it.

It's unlikely we see one of these deals again for awhile.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Retaining salary has value attached to it. Those are real dollars, not just numbers on a piece of paper.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
My guess is that it was either making it a 2nd instead of a 3rd or 4th. Or something like Saarela instead of Bernhardt. That kind of thing.

I think that's insane. Especially since Staal had the final say on where he would go. If that's what it was going to take, you walk away.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Adding an extra second just to eat salary on a guy they wanted to move and who dictate where he would go? Or upgrading the prospect? That's nuts.

I didn't say adding a second. I said upgrading a pick. Without retention, the deal maybe looks more like a 2nd, a 3rd and Saarela.

I think you're overstating the value of these assets.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Semantics.

When a team lacks assets, you can't overstate value of assets.

No, not semantics. There's a big difference between upgrading an already offered asset and adding in a whole extra one.

On the lack of assets, that is why it was pretty clearly stated this was a last hurrah sort of trade. The failure here wasn't on the part of the GM making the trade in terms of the assets given up. It was on the professional scouting, including by said GM, that led them to believe Eric Staal would be a good fit on the roster. Eric Staal with retention gets that package back from whatever team acquires him.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
No, not semantics. There's a big difference between upgrading an already offered asset and adding in a whole extra one.

On the lack of assets, that is why it was pretty clearly stated this was a last hurrah sort of trade. The failure here wasn't on the part of the GM making the trade in terms of the assets given up. It was on the professional scouting, including by said GM, that led them to believe Eric Staal would be a good fit on the roster. Eric Staal with retention gets that package back from whatever team acquires him.

Agree to disagree.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
again, that deal had Sather written all over it.

It's unlikely we see one of these deals again for awhile.

Gorton was the GM.

And if Sather has that much power still, what makes you think the thinking is going to change?

Anyway, we can argue about the value given up for Staal all day, but my biggest issue is that they went after him in the first place. This is a guy that is quite clearly on the decline - and the team wasn't competitive enough to reconcile the possibility that a change in scenery would turn his play around.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Absolutely Nothing.

One of the worst deals made by this organization in a long time.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
There were those 3 games where Stalberg-Staal-Lindberg were the best line before AV went AV.

But yeah...really stupid trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad