Player Discussion Is there anything redeeming about the Eric Staal trade?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think that this trade might be worse than anything Sather either has ever done or has done in at least 10 years.

Looking at the facts. The Rangers were pretty clearly not a cup contender this year. I have a hard time believing that Eric Staal at his peak could bring the Rangers the cup, much less what Eric Staal was this season. From my understanding he's a UFA after this season. So we traded a couple of draft picks and a good prospect for one year of a mediocre player that even if he played above his head was not getting us a cup. Now Saarela will likely never be a superstar but even if he turns into a Fast type player, I can't see trading Fast and 2 2nds for one year of a mediocre old 3rd line player, who was a mediocre 3rd line player when we traded for him being a good idea. This is the type of high risk low reward traded made due to name recognition that has made me lose faith in Gorton and the Rangers for the upcoming years. Looks like something from the 90s. For all his faults we haven't seen a trade like this by Sather at least since the first lockout. The Yandle trade isn't even close as we were cup contenders and Yandle was a much better player than Staal.

Does anyone see anything redeeming or was it just a terrible terrible trade?

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
If the Rangers hadn't made the trade, Eric might have gone on a bit of a hot streak with Carolina or whatever team he was traded to.

In that case the Rangers might have signed him to a 3 or 4 year contract as an UFA. Based on his lack production with the Rangers that will not happen (at least I hope not).

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If the Rangers hadn't made the trade, Eric might have gone on a bit of a hot streak with Carolina or whatever team he was traded to.

In that case the Rangers might have signed him to a 3 or 4 year contract as an UFA. Based on his lack production with the Rangers that will not happen (at least I hope not).

First of all that's conditional on him going on a hot streak. Second, wouldn't that be an overreaction to a hot streak even if it happened? It's not like the Rangers would be compelled to trade for him. And third, while that would eat into the cap at least we'd have 3 important assets.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think that this trade might be worse than anything Sather either has ever done or has done in at least 10 years.

Looking at the facts. The Rangers were pretty clearly not a cup contender this year. I have a hard time believing that Eric Staal at his peak could bring the Rangers the cup, much less what Eric Staal was this season. From my understanding he's a UFA after this season. So we traded a couple of draft picks and a good prospect for one year of a mediocre player that even if he played above his head was not getting us a cup. Now Saarela will likely never be a superstar but even if he turns into a Fast type player, I can't see trading Fast and 2 2nds for one year of a mediocre old 3rd line player, who was a mediocre 3rd line player when we traded for him being a good idea. This is the type of high risk low reward traded made due to name recognition that has made me lose faith in Gorton and the Rangers for the upcoming years. Looks like something from the 90s. For all his faults we haven't seen a trade like this by Sather at least since the first lockout. The Yandle trade isn't even close as we were cup contenders and Yandle was a much better player than Staal.

Does anyone see anything redeeming or was it just a terrible terrible trade?
Ok that's a stretch. :laugh:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I'd say the good thing to come out of it is that since the move and season didn't pan out as management wanted, now they have to shift focus to trying to build a contender rather than keep one afloat

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Horrible trade. No justificantion given all available evidence about current status of Eric Staal as a player, the needs of this roster and overall market value of the futures and state of NYR prospect pool.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'd say the good thing to come out of it is that since the move and season didn't pan out as management wanted, now they have to shift focus to trying to build a contender rather than keep one afloat

Without this trade they wouldn't have gotten here?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Horrible trade. No justificantion given all available evidence about current status of Eric Staal as a player, the needs of this roster and overall market value of the futures and state of NYR prospect pool.

I guess Gorton/Slats (accurately) felt that this was the last year when the Rangers could contend, so they took a stab at it. He was arguably the best player they could've gotten and the feeling must've been that maybe he or the team will get hot and pull it off. Even another SCF loss would've been an exciting result.

From here on, we start the steady decline out of the playoffs. The team could quickly rebuild by trading all the 28+ guys for youth/picks, which would add the excitement of knowing we have a lot of youth and a bright near future. Instead, they will make us bleed slowly, for years, as we will be told that we can make the playoffs and then "anything can happen." But "anything" won't be happening. We'll miss the playoffs or lose in the first round, with the most exciting things in the next half a dozen or more years being one second round upset.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I guess Gorton/Slats (accurately) felt that this was the last year when the Rangers could contend, so they took a stab at it. He was arguably the best player they could've gotten and the feeling must've been that maybe he or the team will get hot and pull it off. Even another SCF loss would've been an exciting result.

From here on, we start the steady decline out of the playoffs. The team could quickly rebuild by trading all the 28+ guys for youth/picks, which would add the excitement of knowing we have a lot of youth and a bright near future. Instead, they will make us bleed slowly, for years, as we will be told that we can make the playoffs and then "anything can happen." But "anything" won't be happening. We'll miss the playoffs or lose in the first round, with the most exciting things in the next half a dozen or more years being one second round upset.

Believe me I understand the desire to go for it. So I can understand parting with a prospect and draft picks. Wasting them on getting Staal is what I can't grasp. First the team's needs this year were on defense. Nayes between Bergs were starting to get better. Second, we - amatures could believe that Staal had another gear left for play-offs. The front office should've known better. Emphasis on "known".

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
A lot of people were saying the trade was horrendous at the time. Hurricanes got away for robbery as far as I'm concerned.

Will be nice to see Saarela in their middle 6 in a few years tearing it up

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
It was a good trade that didn't work out

It was a horrible trade that was inevitably not going to work out from the beginning.

The only possible thing I could think of redeeming from is it that we aren't re-signing him. That's not very redeeming in itself, though.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
About the only way it might have worked out even a little for the Rangers is if whichever pro scout recommended trading for Staal got reassigned. But then the no accountability thing would be compromised.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
There's a few things about this trade.

1) Had this trade been done if the team was the same as the 13-14 or the 14-15 team, the value paid would have been fine for the run. It wasn't bad value for a supposed elite player, albeit on the downturn, as a rental.

2) The major reason this trade is a 100% dud and a stupid ass decision, is because the team never was close to being the 13-14 or the 14-15 team. They needed new D-Men. They needed depth forwards. They needed to much to acquire at a deadline to win a cup.

In a vacuum, the Rangers didn't overpay. In terms of where the team was an evaluating what should have been done, this was a horrendous trade.

Our management embarrassed themselves with the evaluation of the team this year. They didn't have a chance at the cup. None, nada, nil. They proved this since game 1.

The pathetic stretch in December should have been enough to show management we weren't a cup contender. Instead a mediocre stretch in Feb/March made them believe they were.

Pathetic trade then. Even worse now. Will likely be completely awful in the future when Saarela is tearing it up in the division years from now.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Id rather my team swing and miss than be wussified or cheap.

Me too, when they're actual contenders. Not when they are literally throwing darts with a blindfold on.

This team was never a contender. This wasn't Yandle and it wasn't St. Louis. It was clear to anyone with a brain that this team was not competing for the cup this year, let alone winning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad