Player Discussion Is there anything redeeming about the Eric Staal trade?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Just wondering what outside of the success of the last two years and the tired flawed "well we have Lundqvist" argument made you think they were a contender.

For starters, the Rangers appeared to be coming around in February after a bad slump. I expected the veterans to play better in the playoffs. I never figured Nash' season was essentially over . And I felt like with three lines capable of scoring, the Rangers could beat anyone.

Oh and we have Lundqvist. Who arguably for the first time in many years **** in the bed in the playoffs.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
For starters, the Rangers appeared to be coming around in February after a bad slump. I expected the veterans to play better in the playoffs. I never figured Nash' season was essentially over . And I felt like with three lines capable of scoring, the Rangers could beat anyone.

Oh and we have Lundqvist. Who arguably for the first time in many years **** in the bed in the playoffs.

You can bring this over to the roster building thread, but what are your sources saying with regard to the Rangers and the upcoming off-season?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What ??

He was nowhere near the price we paid for him. This guy was damaged goods yet we paid top dollar. Awful trade.

And that's probably my biggest beef with a lot of the trades from recent years.

I can understand the mindset of looking at certain players, because a team that clicks at the right time is very dangerous.

With that said, we repeatedly paid hefty prices for guys that were noticeably past their primes. Even if the hope was that they brought 70 percent of their peak performance, we didn't go out and find any real bargains.

To some degree, we fell into the trap we did in the mid-90s by acquiring players based on reputation rather than results.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It was a horrible trade from day 1. So were the Yandle, St Louis, and Nash trades. We mortgaged the future for bupkis.

Ok. Then go root for a budget team that won't try to improve and instead will settle for mediocrity and hope to luckbox the draft.

Apparently your definition of "horrible trade" is "any deal made where futures are traded for someone expected to help the team now"

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
What ??

He was nowhere near the price we paid for him. This guy was damaged goods yet we paid top dollar. Awful trade.

The Clowe trade was hysterical. They gave up multiple assets for a guy who had ZERO goals in 28 games. 0. Zilch. None.

For all of you who thought the Rangers had no chance in this years playoffs, how many of you had San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa and Pittsburgh in their final four? Probably the same guys who wanted Alex Semin last summer.

I had Tampa - Pitt in mine. East played out exactly how I thought it would minus the Isles winning their series. The west is where it really went to hell for me.

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
Ok. Then go root for a budget team that won't try to improve and instead will settle for mediocrity and hope to luckbox the draft.

Apparently your definition of "horrible trade" is "any deal made where futures are traded for someone expected to help the team now"

Exactly. You can look back in hindsight and say they may have been bad because we didn't win a cup. But anybody who wouldn't make those trades again for 3 trips to the Conference finals in the last 5 seasons, including one trip to the Stanley Cup Final, is crazy.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

I think this had a lot to do with making the Staal trade. Girardi had one of the best months of his career in February, and a lot of us were optimistic that his play was turning around to a manageable level.

I still believe targeting Staal was a good move, even though we overpayed to get him. I have no clue why we were viewing him as a center when he was playing, and excelling, predominantly on the LW in Carolina. He would've easily slid into a top-6 wing spot, which would've allowed us to use Kreider or Miller to feast on 3rd pairings and 3rd lines.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It was a horrible trade from day 1. So were the Yandle, St Louis, and Nash trades. We mortgaged the future for bupkis.

Lol, on what planet was the Nash trade bad?

On what planet was the MSL trade bad?

Those two trades helped get us to the SCF.

My goodness. You couldn't possibly be more wrong if you even tried.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think this had a lot to do with making the Staal trade. Girardi had one of the best months of his career in February, and a lot of us were optimistic that his play was turning around to a manageable level.

I still believe targeting Staal was a good move, even though we overpayed to get him. I have no clue why we were viewing him as a center when he was playing, and excelling, predominantly on the LW in Carolina. He would've easily slid into a top-6 wing spot, which would've allowed us to use Kreider or Miller to feast on 3rd pairings and 3rd lines.

Because that would've pushed Fast or Lindberg to the 4th line and AV would've had to scratch who?????????

(Hint: His names rhymes with Ganner Tlass.) :laugh::laugh:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Lol, on what planet was the Nash trade bad?

Those two trades helped get us to the SCF.

My goodness. You couldn't possibly be more wrong if you even tried.

Folks retroactively view the MSL trade as bad because of the CONDITIONAL 1st... and because there were no other teams we were bidding against... bidding against a play-off season? Yes.

We don't make it to the finals and it's a 2nd and a fine trade... in retrospect.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Because that would've pushed Fast or Lindberg to the 4th line and AV would've had to scratch who?????????

(Hint: His names rhymes with Ganner Tlass.) :laugh::laugh:

If we're being honest with ourselves, Lindberg would've taken a seat. Staal had the exact type of game that we were lacking in our top-6: strong on the walls, can establish cycles, and dish from behind the net.

Whatever, the past is the past. Nothing we can do about it now.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
the rick nash trade and yandle trade were both good.

the staal trade was horribad.

the MSL trade was also pretty poor but in the end it helped us get to the SCF so there's that....

in terms of assets in and out, the Nash trade was a home run, as was the Gaborik trade. basically traded one set of assets for another set of assets and in the end got better because of it.

the yandle trade was also terrific....yandles usage wasnt good...nor was the decision to not trade yandle at the deadline...thats poor asset management...but the original yandle deal was a deal id do again. yandles elite. we screwed 2 seasons of having him here by not utilizing him properly.

the staal trade was bad. i get why they did it...i dont agree with it, and i wouldnt have done it. but again, i get it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The MSL trade gets some pushback because of the high price.

Not only did the Rangers trade their captain, they also traded two first round picks.

MSL was sometimes good, sometimes very good, but never consistently great. His age caught up to him quickly, as most feared it would and it was his personal life that seemed to propel the Rangers, not his actual play.

I think it was that second first rounder that pushed people over the limit. Especially considering that it seemed the Rangers were either bidding against themselves, or acting particularly desperate to find a magic tonic that would put them over the top.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
the rick nash trade and yandle trade were both good.

the staal trade was horribad.

the MSL trade was also pretty poor but in the end it helped us get to the SCF so there's that....

in terms of assets in and out, the Nash trade was a home run, as was the Gaborik trade. basically traded one set of assets for another set of assets and in the end got better because of it.

the yandle trade was also terrific....yandles usage wasnt good...nor was the decision to not trade yandle at the deadline...thats poor asset management...but the original yandle deal was a deal id do again. yandles elite. we screwed 2 seasons of having him here by not utilizing him properly.

the staal trade was bad. i get why they did it...i dont agree with it, and i wouldnt have done it. but again, i get it.

I'm somewhat torn on the Nash trade as I can't say for certain that it made us significantly better in the grand scheme of things, or just got us to the same neighborhood in a different manner. At the very least I know I can't consider it a homerun.

The Gaborik trade was a good one.

The Yandle trade was a mixed bag for me and I freely admit that some of that is because I'm not the biggest Yandle fan in the world and some of it is because I'm not sure where the Rangers intended to use him to begin with when they already had McD and Staal was going to be the second pairing LD no matter what.

The Staal trade was just awful.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
At the end of the day MSL was a 39 year old. 39. Years old.

Only wanted to come to NY

Trade the same assets for a player that is still a core player and I can live with it. Sharks traded Setoguchi, Coyle (prior years late first) and a 1st for a 26 y/o Brent Burns in 2011. That is "re-tooling".

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
lets reel it in a little bit on the estaal deal.

for a team that believed it could make waves in the playoffs and give their guys "another kick at the can" ugh..... that trade, at the time, made some sense. looking back, it didn't work.

the decision wasnt flawed nor was the mindset. the result was eric staal didn't produce- but then again,he wasnt alone there.

lets just wait and see what those 2 2nds become before we get our panties in a bunch. and as far as alex saarela goes- who i like as an undersized offensive guy prospect, he still hasn't scored an nhl goal yet.

bad result of a trade that, at the time, made sense.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I don't know, Jon, I thought the MSL trade was bad from the start. The team got older and softer. And they gave up a ton for a guy they were pretty much bidding against themselves for.

It was a boom or bust move. And since they didn't win the Cup, it's a bust.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

for a team that believed it could make waves in the playoffs and give their guys "another kick at the can" ugh..... that trade, at the time, made some sense. looking back, it didn't work.

the decision wasnt flawed nor was the mindset. the result was eric staal didn't produce- but then again,he wasnt alone there.

lets just wait and see what those 2 2nds become before we get our panties in a bunch. and as far as alex saarela goes- who i like as an undersized offensive guy prospect, he still hasn't scored an nhl goal yet.

Have to disagree. The trade didn't make sense, because we weren't close enough. With E Staal, without E Staal, this team was not going to win the big prize.

These trades only make sense they give you a good shot at winning. The E Staal trade improved our chances of winning from 0.5% to 0.8%. Not worth doing.

What it says to me is that either a) our management can't see how good or how bad the team is, or b) management is so stuck in its habits it can't adapt, or c) they don't care about winning, they just want to make a splash.

Whatever it is, it doesn't make you confident going forward.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

It was another trade were I was forced to ask: who were they bidding against?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
At the end of the day MSL was a 39 year old. 39. Years old.

Only wanted to come to NY

Trade the same assets for a player that is still a core player and I can live with it. Sharks traded Setoguchi, Coyle (prior years late first) and a 1st for a 26 y/o Brent Burns in 2011. That is "re-tooling".

Regardless of the age, at least MSL was still a VERY effective hockey player. Wasn't he 8th in points when we traded for him?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Eric Staal is just another grotesquely mismanaged player on AV's resume. If you're a center, and your 2nd most common on-ice teammate is a defenseman, then something is wrong.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Regardless of the age, at least MSL was still a VERY effective hockey player. Wasn't he 8th in points when we traded for him?

The problem with getting a guy at that stage in his career is that the lights can start to dim pretty quickly.

In looking back, I'm not totally sure TB's system didn't also extend MSL's effectiveness past where it would be most other places.

I suspect they knew that, and that factored into his being left of Team Canada.

If so, it was very smart asset management by the Bolts.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Eric Staal is just another grotesquely mismanaged player on AV's resume. If you're a center, and your 2nd most common on-ice teammate is a defenseman, then something is wrong.

He hasn't been a truly effective center ever since the hernia surgery and Edler blowing up his knee. His speed took a major hit, but the board play and skills were still there. He should've been a winger here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad