Is there any way on this planet Tatar is not on the Red Wings next season

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The point is that she said every player has to earn it. Whatever "it" is. Lashoff didn't earn any of his ice time.

If you want Tatar to get the same allowances Lashoff got, you can expect Tatar to only suit up for 64% of the games (52) next year and be a healthy scratch for the playoffs.

I feel like your wish will be granted.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If you want Tatar to get the same allowances Lashoff got, you can expect Tatar to only suit up for 64% of the games (52) next year and be a healthy scratch for the playoffs.

Lashoff came into the year as a nothing prospect

he was just plain handed huge minutes on the first d pair after injuries

slowly(through being absolutely,hilariously terrible for a long period of time) those minutes went down and eventually when the Wings had more options again he(FINALLY) got scratched

then when Dekeyser went down in the Playoffs Lashoff was apparently regarded as higher in the depth chart than Colaiacovo and White and got THREE games to COMPLETELY SUCK before Colaiacovo was FINALLY inserted and showed why he should have been in there instead of Lashoff in the first place when Dekeyser got injured

oh and somewhere in there he got a 3 year contract extension for some reason

and apparently now the Wings are getting rid of Colaiacovo to make room for Lashoff to stay on the roster and be the 7th dman

Tatar enters next year as an actual good prospect who played well in his brief callup this year and just won the Playoff MVP in the AHL after scoring 16 goals in 24 games

Last edited:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
You had a point with Smith, but I think you're wrong on Nyquist. He got a callup, ran with it, and put in an excellent playoff performance. That was good enough an audition.

But even so, I expect him to be on the 3rd line, not in the top 6.

I definitely agree that Gus showed enough to make the team next season (and that I had a point with Smith :D), but it's not like Nyquist was playing lights out hockey for most of his time with the Wings last year.

3G/3A in 22 GP during the regular season wasn't mind-blowing, and while Gus looked good in the playoffs (the play against Seabrook & Crawford obviously comes to mind), he put up about the right # of points you'd expect from a complementary scorer. A nice PO run from a rookie, but not setting the world on fire.

If you're right and Gus is looking at 3rd line duty with Tatar duking it out for a spot on the 4th line, then Kenny must be planning to have a busy and productive offseason of bringing in scoring help for the top 9. Flip seems to be gone, uncertainty on Brunner re-signing... not much left in the cupboard when it comes to skilled scoring wingers.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I definitely agree that Gus showed enough to make the team next season (and that I had a point with Smith :D), but it's not like Nyquist was playing lights out hockey for most of his time with the Wings last year. 3G/3A in 22 GP during the regular season wasn't mind-blowing, and while he looked good in the playoffs (the play against Seabrook & Crawford obviously comes to mind), he put up about the right # of points you'd expect from a complementary scorer. A nice PO run from a rookie, but not setting the world on fire.

If you're right and Gus is looking at 3rd line duty with Tatar duking it out for a spot on the 4th line, then Kenny must be planning to have a busy and productive offseason of bringing in scoring help for the top 9. Flip seems to be gone, uncertainty on Brunner re-signing... not much left in the cupboard when it comes to skilled scoring wingers.

plenty of good scoring wingers

we got Abdelkader,Cleary will probably be back

Bertuzzi,Samuelsson

I mean....the list just goes on and with amazing players like Emmerton,Miller,Eaves,Tootoo etc we might as well just waive Nyquist and Tatar because there really isn't anywhere to even put them at all

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
My last response was "He was on pace to score about 20 goals in a 82 gm season on 3rd line and led the Griffins in g's and got MVP of the playoffs."

Him maybe finding a spot on the 4th line is ridiculous. He should be on the 3rd line with out a doubt. If they dont like him then they need to trade him.

St James is essentially being Kenny Holland but as a smug journalist. Saying all the right things, never any surprises. Wouldn't be surprised if she's seen as a friend to most people around the team. Not the type of journalist I have much respect for.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
And do you have any doubts he'll play more than Lashoff did last year?

no serious ones no

but you're acting like they are really even comparable

I mean....to even be comparable to getting all the rope Lashoff got compared to what he "earned" Tatar would basically have to become the next Cleary and be stapled to the top 6 all year long no matter what he does

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
St James is essentially being Kenny Holland but as a smug journalist. Saying all the right things, never any surprises. Wouldn't be surprised if she's seen as a friend to most people around the team. Not the type of journalist I have much respect for.

Aren't all Wings beat writers just a shill/mouth piece for Wings management? I have yet to find one who actually does his/her job. I would only read their articles if i swallowed something poisonous and needed to induce vomiting.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Not to be a smart***, well that is exactly what I will be. But Lashoff got 17:41 ATOI, because he is a D-man. So....

I know it is a different ballgame, but I expect between 10-15 minutes of ATOI for Tatar next season. Certainly he will play more games with a full season.

Babcock needs to use the bottom lines more, I am tired of the 6-8 minute junk he does with it. Get some discipline and role lines, I think that would help in the long-run of the team, keep everyone fresh. Obviously great teams win with depth, but I thought this was Anaheim's big problem in terms of true contender all season, you wear your guys out when you don't have enough balance in minutes. All our great teams really did have that balance.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
The forward cupboard isnt bare.....it just isnt ready yet

Which is to say, it's mainly stocked with players who have exceeded their best-by dates by a few seasons, and young players who haven't proven to be consistent NHL scorers yet.

And Franzen.

There's your top 9 winger cupboard.

Certainly subject to change this off-season with the potential for FA's or trades (Kenny is a regular riverboat gambler when it comes to making deals, after all), but as of today, it's not exactly a top 9 with skill and scoring to spare.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Ohhh those guys. My apologies.

No worries. All of Wing Nation knew the Sammy deal was an abortion before the ink dried. Everyone knew it woukd end on IR. He did not disappoint in that respect. Cleary had an abysmal regular season but played much better in the playoffs. Still, I think his time has passed. Bert gives DET some size they sorely need and coupled with his offensive skill set, keeping him around made sense. Sadly, injury hampered his use. Not sure where it will leave his compete level going forward.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
All the recent articles by St. James sound like complete speculation. There is nothing coming out of the front office so she has to write something for a story. Tatar will get his shot.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
All the recent articles by St. James sound like complete speculation. There is nothing coming out of the front office so she has to write something for a story. Tatar will get his shot.

True. She has to write something and I doubt she's speaking for management about Tatar.

RedWingsNow*

Lordy. Do people actually believe "you earn" anything in Babcock's system.

What in the hell did Justin Abdelkader do to deserve playing with Datsyuk? Does anyone remember the stat line? It was something like 25 games with 1 goal and 1 assist or something.

Or how about Tatar scoring more than everyone but Datsyuk, in 5-on-5 production per 60 minutes.

What did he "earn?"

A trip to Grand Rapids.

Last edited by a moderator:

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Lordy. Do people actually believe "you earn" anything in Babcock's system.

What in the hell did Justin Abdelkader do to deserve playing with Datsyuk? Does anyone remember the stat line? It was something like 25 games with 1 goal and 1 assist or something.

Or how about Tatar scoring more than everyone but Datsyuk, in 5-on-5 production per 60 minutes.

What did he "earn?"

A trio to Grand Rapids.

Abdelkader deserved a Selke nomination. He shut down his entire line all year long ;)

RedWingsNow*

If Tatar bleeds goals against and is never on the ice for goals for -- the way Lahsoff did -- he wouldn't get 1/3rd the games played Lashoff got

Lashoff somehow managed to leapfrog Kindl, White and Colaiacovo on the depth charts despite HORRID hockey.

Kindl managed to play up past Lashoff. But it wasn't until Lashoff got back into the lineup and blew it for a couple games that Babcock finally wised up and put CC in -- Which was just in time to pull out the Ducks series, thankfully

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Red Wings beat writers are total morons. It really is that simple.

She talks about "earning it." Brian Lashoff says hello.
Brunner also says hello.

St. James is just about as good as Malik. Watching Valenti tear apart Malik (while his tail was between his legs) on twitter months ago was a treat.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Brunner also says hello.

St. James is just about as good as Malik. Watching Valenti tear apart Malik (while his tail was between his legs) on twitter months ago was a treat.

You can say what you want about Valenti and his lack of hockey knowledge but I do enjoy some of his thoughts that echo some of our thoughts in concern to this team moving forward and the lack of action from our GM. Just wish more radio personalities and beat writers did similar.

RedWingsNow*

Valenti doesn't like hockey. So all he does is ***** about the Wings, Problem is, you can tell he doesn't know what he's *****ing about. Valenti and Foster have really helped kill the hockey talk in the Detroit radio market

They're a far cry from Stoney and Wojo back in the day

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Valenti doesn't like hockey. So all he does is ***** about the Wings, Problem is, you can tell he doesn't know what he's *****ing about. Valenti and Foster have really helped kill the hockey talk in the Detroit radio market

They're a far cry from Stoney and Wojo back in the day

Exactly! They try and claim nobody likes hockey because nobody ever calls in to talk about it. No, its because Valenti and Foster know nothing about hockey and nobody wants to call in to talk about it with them. And, if you argue with them, they just hang up. Foster is 10x worse. I would say everybody on this board, individually, know more about hockey then both of them combined.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
■Tomas Tatar: He seemed to have a good stretch when he was up with the Wings, but there's concern in the front office about Tatar's toughness. He might get a shot at finding a spot on the fourth line.

Helene St. James everyone!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad