Is there any way on this planet Tatar is not on the Red Wings next season

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Helene St. James everyone!

Its been covered in this thread but yes its a terrible quote. The *might* get a chance on the 4th line is ludicrous. The dude is a goal scorer who proved himself this year. You dont stick those guys on the 4th line. Put him on the 3rd line and let him earn it from there.

We've seen from Chicago and Boston that having deep lines that do damage helps win Cups. We could have 3 scoring lines with Tatar on our third.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Its been covered in this thread but yes its a terrible quote. The *might* get a chance on the 4th line is ludicrous. The dude is a goal scorer who proved himself this year. You dont stick those guys on the 4th line. Put him on the 3rd line and let him earn it from there.

We've seen from Chicago and Boston that having deep lines that do damage helps win Cups. We could have 3 scoring lines with Tatar on our third.

I think it depends on the fourth line. Assuming Helm is healthy, he would seem to be the defacto third line center. While it's a long shot, what if we ended up with a "fourth" line of Jarnkrok-Andersson-Tatar? yeah, Tatar wouldn't be next to Datsyuk, but that's not your typical fourth line, either.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I think it depends on the fourth line. Assuming Helm is healthy, he would seem to be the defacto third line center. While it's a long shot, what if we ended up with a "fourth" line of Jarnkrok-Andersson-Tatar? yeah, Tatar wouldn't be next to Datsyuk, but that's not your typical fourth line, either.

Where do Miller, Eaves and Tootoo play?

Tatar isnt a center so Helm has no bearing on where Tatar plays really. If Helm is out then Andersson slides up to 3C.

Tatar, Helm, Brunner/FA
Miller, Andersson, Eaves/Tootoo

Does any other combo make sense outside of major trades and roster changes?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Where do Miller, Eaves and Tootoo play?

Tatar isnt a center so Helm has no bearing on where Tatar plays really. If Helm is out then Andersson slides up to 3C.

Tatar, Helm, Brunner/FA
Miller, Andersson, Eaves/Tootoo

Does any other combo make sense outside of major trades and roster changes?

We're apparently looking to move Tootoo, and I'm fine sitting Eaves. And any roster with Jarnkrok on it means we did some other gutting, but with the rumors of us buying out Sammy, looking to move CC, and lord knows with Bertuzzi, it's not as improbable as I thought it would have been a month ago.

Right now, with all of the movement rumors, I'm just pretty open to where anyone could end up and what the lines could look like.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
We're apparently looking to move Tootoo, and I'm fine sitting Eaves. And any roster with Jarnkrok on it means we did some other gutting, but with the rumors of us buying out Sammy, looking to move CC, and lord knows with Bertuzzi, it's not as improbable as I thought it would have been a month ago.

Right now, with all of the movement rumors, I'm just pretty open to where anyone could end up and what the lines could look like.

Tatar ends up on a scoring line with PP time or "no peace"! :)

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Valenti doesn't like hockey. So all he does is ***** about the Wings, Problem is, you can tell he doesn't know what he's *****ing about. Valenti and Foster have really helped kill the hockey talk in the Detroit radio market

They're a far cry from Stoney and Wojo back in the day
He may not and he may not know a lot about the Wings but what he does say echoes the thoughts on this board about Ken Holland and the lack of moves made. It's refreshing as opposed to Malik's twitter, who's so far up the Red Wings' brass ***** he can't even see light anymore.

In all fairness to talk radio, most of the people that call in about the Wings don't know what the hell they are talking about either.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

Jarnkrok isn't ready for the AHL, let alone the NHL.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL

We'll find out when camp opens. But many of the rumors floating around would disagree with you. There's an outside chance he could make the opening day roster. Even if he doesnt make the top 12, he could be a valuable "plug in". he could likely beat out Ferraro and Sheahan for "first call up" duty

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
We'll find out when camp opens. But many of the rumors floating around would disagree with you. There's an outside chance he could make the opening day roster. Even if he doesnt make the top 12, he could be a valuable "plug in". he could likely beat out Ferraro and Sheahan for "first call up" duty

He's coming to camp with a shot to earn a spot; I don't think anyone in the organization actually expects him to do so though. If he doesn't make it (which is what's going to happen) he'll go to GR and then theoretically be available for a call up.

I'm really not sure because it's hard to get accurate numbers on European players especially but I THINK he's still only about 175 lbs. It's a huge issue. He needs to get stronger and it seems unlikely that he can accomplish enough to be a real part of the team anytime in 2013.

Also, hat tip to TZE; as he helped me update my Jarnkrok info not that long ago.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Based on what? He didnt get a lot of points while he was up with GR but people said they were impressed.

Depends on his strength, if he's improved that I've seen some people state that he could be the 3rd line center for the Wings.

I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that right away because I'd prefer him to be the 1st line center for Grand Rapids and then be an injury call up.

RedWingsNow*

Let's give Jarnkrok a chance to show where he belongs.
I suspect he'll need a full season in Grand Rapids.
You've got Sheahan and Ferraro who've sometimes played center.

If Helm is healthy, you've got Datsyuk, Zetterberg, possible UFA, Helm, Abdelkader, and possibly Franzen or Emmerton at center....
And then you've got Sheahan or maybe Ferraro.

Jarnkrok is a good prospect, but he's not coming in with the buzz that a Zetterberg or Grigorenko had (guys who were penciled into scoring line roles)

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013

Is the Swedish Elite League really that overrated, or do you mean "not ready" in terms of rink size and style of play? If that is the case, I tend to believe real talent prevails. In other words, I believe he is definitely ready.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Is the Swedish Elite League really that overrated, or do you mean "not ready" in terms of rink size and style of play? If that is the case, I tend to believe real talent prevails. In other words, I believe he is definitely ready.
He's still pretty small and weak, and it held him back at the WC. I don't think Jarnkrok is anywhere near the weight he's listed at right now. (Just as I don't think Datsyuk and Zetterberg are, either,)

Jarnkrok needs to be about 180 in real world weight to handle the NHL. I think he's closer to 170 real world weight. Hockey weight is a lovely thing.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Let's give Jarnkrok a chance to show where he belongs.
I suspect he'll need a full season in Grand Rapids.
You've got Sheahan and Ferraro who've sometimes played center.

If Helm is healthy, you've got Datsyuk, Zetterberg, possible UFA, Helm, Abdelkader, and possibly Franzen or Emmerton at center....
And then you've got Sheahan or maybe Ferraro.

Jarnkrok is a good prospect, but he's not coming in with the buzz that a Zetterberg or Grigorenko had (guys who were penciled into scoring line roles)

The interesting thing here is that Jarnkrok comes over at pretty much the same age Zetterberg started his career in Detroit, and if we look at their stats in their last seasons in the Swedish Elite league they come up very even:

- Zetterberg: 48GP - 10G - 22A - 32P
- Jarnkrok: 50GP - 16G - 23A - 39P

In fact, the stats favour Jarnkrok by a small margin. This is not to say Jarnkrok is he next Z of course and I do not know the cirumstances around their stats (roles etc), but I still think it warrants some attention. Especially when you mention all this fanfare around Z.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
He's still pretty small and weak, and it held him back at the WC. I don't think Jarnkrok is anywhere near the weight he's listed at right now. (Just as I don't think Datsyuk and Zetterberg are, either,)

Jarnkrok needs to be about 180 in real world weight to handle the NHL. I think he's closer to 170 real world weight. Hockey weight is a lovely thing.

Makes sense, although I wasn´t saying he was ready for the NHL (just for the record). ;)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Nah, but I definitely think an adjustment period is needed. I suspect he'll get the chance in a couple of pre season games, then they'll send him to the Griffins and after a couple of months there we'll know how close he is/isn't.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The interesting thing here is that Jarnkrok comes over at pretty much the same age Zetterberg started his career in Detroit, and if we look at their stats in their last seasons in the Swedish Elite league they come up very even:

In fact, the stats favour Jarnkrok by a small margin. This is not to say Jarnkrok is he next Z of course and I do not know the cirumstances around their stats (roles etc), but I still think it warrants some attention. Especially when you mention all this fanfare around Z.

Z had already made an Olympic squad and was coming off a really strong World Championship, and was an Elitserien Best Player "Guldpucken" award winner.

Z was a real well known commodity, Grigorenko was huge. I think Jarnkrok isn't that far off Datsyuk in terms of where he is coming over and how well known and accomplished.

RedWingsNow*

Zetterberg at 19:
16 goals 31 assists 46 points
Jarnkrok at 19
16-23-39

The big difference?
Zetterberg was playing on a team where he was basically the only player.

Jarnkrok, at the very least, had Silfverberg,
Johan Larsson is a second round pick with upside
Mattias Ekholm is a legit prospect
Goalie Johan Holmquist was pretty much a starting goalie in the NHL for two years.

Zetterberg was credited with lifting Timra basically by himself

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Z had already made an Olympic squad and was coming off a really strong World Championship, and was an Elitserien Best Player "Guldpucken" award winner.

Z was a real well known commodity, Grigorenko was huge. I think Jarnkrok isn't that far off Datsyuk in terms of where he is coming over and how well known and accomplished.

Yeah, no doubt the buzz was bigger, not disputing that. Just thought to mention the nice numbers Jarnkrok put up his last season with Brynas, which makes me excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad