Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Zetterberg at 19:
16 goals 31 assists 46 points
Jarnkrok at 19
16-23-39

The big difference?
Zetterberg was playing on a team where he was basically the only player.

Jarnkrok, at the very least, had Silfverberg,
Johan Larsson is a second round pick with upside
Mattias Ekholm is a legit prospect
Goalie Johan Holmquist was pretty much a starting goalie in the NHL for two years.

Zetterberg was credited with lifting Timra basically by himself

true enough

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Zetterberg at 19:
16 goals 31 assists 46 points
Jarnkrok at 19
16-23-39

The big difference?
Zetterberg was playing on a team where he was basically the only player.

Jarnkrok, at the very least, had Silfverberg,
Johan Larsson is a second round pick with upside
Mattias Ekholm is a legit prospect
Goalie Johan Holmquist was pretty much a starting goalie in the NHL for two years.

Zetterberg was credited with lifting Timra basically by himself

True that Zetterberg´s numbers were greater in his second to last season (than his last).
I also notice a steady increase in Jarnkrok´s numbers. And Silvferberg was in Ottawa for at least half a season (I believe) in Jarnkrok´s most impressive season statistically speaking. I have no idea how important those prospects´ play were to Jarnkrok´s success, and I don´t know what Z´s supporting cast was like in his Timra*, so no point in discussing that. Again, not trying to build up Jarnkrok as the next Z here, just saying that he obviously has offensive clout.

* worth noting Timra finished 3rd in the league the season after Zetterberg had left for Detroit.

RedWingsNow*

I think Jarnkrok isn't that far off Datsyuk in terms of where he is coming over and how well known and accomplished.

Which is a little misleading -- because Datsyuk wasn't very well known.

I think Jarnkrok is coming over about at the same level as Filppula.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
True that Zetterberg´s numbers were greater in his second to last season (than his last).
I also notice a steady increase in Jarnkrok´s numbers. And Silvferberg was in Ottawa for at least half a season (I believe) in Jarnkrok´s most impressive season statistically speaking. I have no idea how important those prospects´ play were to Jarnkrok´s success, and I don´t know what Z´s supporting cast was like in his Timra, so no point in discussing that. Again, not trying to build up Jarnkrok as the next Z here, just saying that he obviously has offensive clout.

Seriously, I think he's nuts good. I really don't know about the Zetterberg comparisons but it's not like he doesn't have elite talent. You can see it in virtually any collection of clips on the guy.

Mostly it's just that he's really small right now. Feels very much like a 2014-15 thing. I mean 170-175 lbs just isn't very big; he has got to put on some muscle or it won't matter how good he is. Pretty sure the Wings know that tho. I'm very excited for the kid's future and no amount of wet blanketing on this forum is gonna change that :)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Which is a little misleading -- because Datsyuk wasn't very well known.

I think Jarnkrok is coming over about at the same level as Filppula.

He is more well known because the continued internet age explosion in my opinion. In terms of accomplishments, I don't think Jarnkrok is far off where Datsyuk was back then, in fact he has a lead.

Filppula had not suited up for a single WC team, Jarnkrok has twice. Filppula had played two seasons of Mens league hockey in Sm-liiga, with one pretty strong season, Jarnkrok has played four with one pretty strong and two strong seasons. Jarnkrok was on a team that one the league Championship and he played a big role.

Datsyuk had played had played four seasons of RSL hockey before coming over, really only having one notably strong season, although he tore apart lower tier Russian leagues during one season in the middle of that stretch. He had made the WC team and started to create some buzz before coming over.

Realistically Jarnkrok is in front of both, but Datsyuk was a bigger deal coming over than Filppula. Based on European performances Jarnkrok has even been better. Of course a lot has changed over in Europe with the formation of the KHL.

Grigorenko and Zetterberg were a very big deal though in a lot of circles before ever making it across the pond though. On a whole different level than anybody else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad