Is Tavares worth his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
To answer this, teams had to do whatever they did to get Tavares on their team. Toronto managed to do that, and the way to do that is give him top dollar. But I wouldn't say it's overpayment in that context, the business of sports is a ruthless one and you gotta win.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
What kind of no trade clause does he have?

Edit Should be just trade clause.

Edit again Never mind NMC

Last edited:

Jan 21, 2018
so many upset isles fans in this thread trashing Tavares lol. he's a superstar and there would be zero complaints if he re-signed for 12M with the isles.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Well you should be happy then. Of course what you are saying is pure poppycock and strongly suggests you have no clue about how to put together a winning hockey team. Can you even skate?

Hit bullseye eh? Sorry, but the way the Leafs are built now and the limitations imposed by Tavares' exorbitant and unnecessary contract does not make the Leafs a contender now or anytime in the near future. Just not going to happen. No defense, no depth, no backbone You tell me, what all that conversation going on at the Leaf''s board and all the doubting Thomas's. Tell them they don't have a clue.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
so many upset isles fans in this thread trashing Tavares lol. he's a superstar and there would be zero complaints if he re-signed for 12M with the isles.

We would have screwed the franchise long term if we signed him to that nonsense. Don't embarrass our fanbase please. This Leafs signing is possibly the dumbest contract signed all year. They had more than enough offense to take them far. All they needed was a few signings such as what Lou Lamiorello did for the Isles and they are an instant contender, but because of this bunghole of a contract they can't afford even most basic and otherwise affordable small upgrades and they are screwed for the future unless they dismantle their core. Dumb Dumb Dumb!

This goes right up there with being house poor, over extended on your credit, and trying to raise a family on a McDonald's salary. The friggin Leafs were on the threshold of something great and they BLEW it on a stupid contract!

Last edited:
Reactions: Axel574

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Hit bullseye eh? Sorry, but the way the Leafs are built now and the limitations imposed by Tavares' exorbitant and unnecessary contract does not make the Leafs a contender now or anytime in the near future. Just not going to happen. No defense, no depth, no backbone You tell me, what all that conversation going on at the Leaf''s board and all the doubting Thomas's. Tell them they don't have a clue.

Yeah the leafs should follow the tried and proven isles model instead. :laugh:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
We would have screwed the franchise long term if we signed him to that nonsense. Don't embarrass our fanbase please. This Leafs signing is possibly the dumbest contract signed all year. They had more than enough offense to take them far. All they needed was a few signings such as what Lou Lamiorello did for the Isles and they are an instant contender, but because of this bunghole of a contract they can't afford even most basic and otherwise affordable small upgrades and they are screwed for the future unless they dismantle their core. Dumb Dumb Dumb!

This goes right up there with being house poor, over extended on your credit, and trying to raise a family on a McDonald's salary. The friggin Leafs were on the threshold of something great and they BLEW on a stupid contract!
Who needs tavares when matt Martin will take you to the promised land amirite?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So your claim is tavares actually did what he did because he DIDNT want to play playoff hockey.

Very bold cotton.

Yep. He Le'veon Bell'd the situation to the detriment of the Islanders and the benefit of himself (and by extension the Maple Leafs). Le'Veon Bell, if you don't know with all the CFL craze up north, is a runningback refusing to report to the Steelers because he wants a long-term extension and Pittsburgh isn't giving it. The NFL has a rule where you can franchise tag a player and sign them to a 1-year, high money contract. Another player in a contract dispute, Seahawks safety Earl Thomas was in a similar situation. Signed his tag, showed up to the team, and promptly suffered a season-ending injury, flipping off the Seahawks sideline as he was carted off.

You have the argument of "I know John Tavares is literally a saint who would never manipulate the Islanders into giving him the safest possible route into a huge UFA contract".

I understand the modern realities of professional sports and the willingness of a player to value a future big money contract over doing right by his former team and playing postseason hockey.

But please, you go on believing all your sports heroes are the purest angels to ever walk the earth. No player on your team would ever be selfish enough to put their own needs ahead of the team they plan on leaving as soon as they're allowed to.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Yeah the leafs should follow the tried and proven isles model instead. :laugh:

LOL. That's exactly what you DO LOOK LIKE! :laugh: You are following the Snow model of building a team. In fact, you took the very centerpiece of that model in Judas. All offense and no defense. Trust me. IT FAILED!

All you need to do now is hire Cappy and you're all set! :laugh:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yep. He Le'veon Bell'd the situation to the detriment of the Islanders and the benefit of himself (and by extension the Maple Leafs). Le'Veon Bell, if you don't know with all the CFL craze up north, is a runningback refusing to report to the Steelers because he wants a long-term extension and Pittsburgh isn't giving it. The NFL has a rule where you can franchise tag a player and sign them to a 1-year, high money contract. Another player in a contract dispute, Seahawks safety Earl Thomas was in a similar situation. Signed his tag, showed up to the team, and promptly suffered a season-ending injury, flipping off the Seahawks sideline as he was carted off.

You have the argument of "I know John Tavares is literally a saint who would never manipulate the Islanders into giving him the safest possible route into a huge UFA contract".

I understand the modern realities of professional sports and the willingness of a player to value a future big money contract over doing right by his former team and playing postseason hockey.

But please, you go on believing all your sports heroes are the purest angels to ever walk the earth. No player on your team would ever be selfish enough to put their own needs ahead of the team they plan on leaving as soon as they're allowed to.
I guess my question is, if tavares wanted to leave so badly why wouldn't he tell the islanders he wanted to go to a contender. There would be nothing stopping him from going to a contender as a rental and then going to the leafs if that's what he always wanted.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
LOL. That's exactly what you DO LOOK LIKE! :laugh: You are following the Snow model of building a team. In fact, you took the very centerpiece of that model in Judas. All offense and no defense. Trust me. IT FAILED!

All you need to do now is hire Cappy and you're all set! :laugh:
Uh how so? The isles never had ANYONE outside tavares. Offense or defense.

I mean, he went to a team that put up more points than the isles have in 35 years.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
All right Leaf fans, you think this guy is worth it? Let's see. I'll be watching.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I watched the Leafs game last night and was not impressed with Tavares at all. Looking back on his game logs / stats and after a hot start he has 1 goal in his last 10 games and 4 points in his last 8. Minus 4 over that period as well. How has he played overall?
His 11 million is already having an effect on future contracts by all accounts.
The last 4-5 years might be tough to swallow and the contract is almost buyout proof.
This is where I stopped reading. A player and their value can't be assessed from watching one game and then looking at stats. Oof!

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I guess my question is, if tavares wanted to leave so badly why wouldn't he tell the islanders he wanted to go to a contender. There would be nothing stopping him from going to a contender as a rental and then going to the leafs if that's what he always wanted.

Did you read what I wrote and you're quoting? I explain why it was in JT's best interests to stay with the Islanders as opposed to being traded to a contender.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
JT isn’t worth the contract, but the contract comes w the inflation of the market.

He’s a great center though who can be streaky. I think he excels as the secondary option behind Matthews.

His work around the net, down low and along the boards is world class. One of the greatest half court players.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

Explain.

As for the rest of your blather maybe Tavares wanted to go to a market that understands the sport.

As for the supposed convo going on at the Leafs board I can't tell you because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Tavares has been awesome, love this guy. To get him without giving up Nylander/Rielly or top futures is just incredible.

People say we should have spent it on D, but when was a D of Tavares caliber a UFA?

People questioning this contract are going to be shocked by what some rfas get in the coming years. Salaries are inflating, the Getzlaf deal started it and it’s continued to inflate since then. In 3-4 years, we will look back on 11 million for a 1c free agent and laugh.

Islanders fans shouldn’t be sad they lost Tavares, they should be sad that he could have fetched possibly the best rental return of all time and they didn’t move him. Imagine NYI with a top blue chip guy+?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
As a jets fan
The jets would need to lose Myers and little this year

Then would need to lose wheeler and mp to resign the other players
Something like that anyways
Don't think that's worth it

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
short answer: no
long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Islander should have dealt him for the best rental package in NHL history. He might be a snake, I don’t think he is I just think he changed his mind. regardless, even if NYI continues to be better than they were last year, the real sadness should be “what could have been?” I have no doubt that he fetches a blue chip guy or an even more impressive package. That’s not Toronto’s fault, it’s not even Johns fault.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Wait a minute Sherlock. You just figured out that I don't like the guy?

I see you taking your chance to jump down our throats after a 5 game bad stretch. We’re you as vocal when he had 8 points in 3 games? Will you still be around if he goes on another hot streak and finishes having a great season!? Or are you only around when the trolling is ripe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad