Is Tavares worth his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I see you taking your chance to jump down our throats after a 5 game bad stretch. We’re you as vocal when he had 8 points in 3 games? Will you still be around if he goes on another hot streak and finishes having a great season!? Or are you only around when the trolling is ripe?

Look at my posts before the season started. I warned you guys.

Here it is:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...to-our-defense.2482493/page-13#post-148851535

and here:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...pot-in-regards-to-our-defense.2482493/page-14

and here:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...pot-in-regards-to-our-defense.2482493/page-15

Hey Sherlock, was I salty then? Here's an interesting post I made in August Sherlock: "Also in regards to the Tavares acquisition, I'm looking at the long term consequences for your team. Let's face it he's costly. As an Islander fan, I was hoping he would re-sign with the team, but I've often worried about at what cost, given the big contract that McDavid signed."

and how about this one:

Hardly "free". Your argument is only true when the asset comes cheaply as in a pick or young prospect. You hobble a team when your asset takes a big bite out of your cap space such that in the future you MUST give up vital assets in order to keep the team somewhat intact. You force yourself into making hard decisions and losing assets you would rather not lose but are forced to let go. So no, I'm not buying this argument.

The whole purpose of the Cap was to create parity in the league such that big market teams could not grab all the assets because they had the resources to do so. Today the name of the game to build a balanced team, I'm not so sure (and neither is the OP) that the Leafs are anywhere close to having accomplished this.

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Then why did you want him to stay so bad? According to your posts before he signed you used to have a very different opinion until he switched jerseys.

You are right. I did and I didn't. I wanted to stay because I as many Isles fans were VERY VERY loyal fans. And we accepted him as the face of OUR franchise despite some of his shortcomings. But to lie to us and the organization and way he left. We were betrayed. And for that he disgusts me. But this thread is NOT about that. Like I said before the season started, I told you guys why this contract made no sense. (BTW, that's when I was still Rehabguy).

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
The Tavares signing has been an interesting situation so far. On on hand, that contract seems to be the primary reason Nylander is still not signed. However, Tavares is also the reason the Leafs have been winning games despite not having Nylander. So far that's all a wash and Tavares has been worth it. But if the Leafs end up losing Nylander, or worse, Matthews or Marner, then the Taveres signing may turn out to be a huge disaster.

The entire point of the signing was to go all in the last season of Matthews and Marner's ELCs, two of the best value deals in the league right now, while maintaining their core and being competitive for the long term. If that plan comes to fruition, it's a great signing. But if there's a hiccup it could go downhill really quickly.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The flame potential in those Toronto threads though...

It's either some mindless Leafs fans claiming their roster is some kind of Olympus and Auston M. is Zeus or once Tavares doesn't score a hattrick every game he's hot garbage.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I mean it's already begun and Leaf fans are in denial.

Where is Nylander playing golf tomorrow?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
You are right. I did and I didn't. I wanted to stay because I as many Isles fans were VERY VERY loyal fans. And we accepted him as the face of OUR franchise despite some of his shortcomings. But to lie to us and the organization and way he left. We were betrayed. And for that he disgusts me. But this thread is NOT about that. Like I said before the season started, I told you guys why this contract made no sense. (BTW, that's when I was still Rehabguy).

I’m just going to say this - do you think your opinion could be influenced by your hatred of him?

The reason I ask is because you claimed that things are bright for NYI since stealing Lou, but Lou actually offered more.

Murray, widely considered on here as a top 5 GM offered 2 million more a year!

Boston’s offer was apparently close fianncially.

So either Dubas/Shanny, Murray, Lou and Sweeney are all bad at pricing out Tavares...or maybe, just maybe he is worth 11 million as a UFA.

Forgive me for thinking that you anger is actually guiding you - turns out you are just smarter than top NHL executives.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
This might be a good time to remind people we’re 8-5 still without Nylander and now Matthews.

Disappointing couple of weeks but you might want to give the season a few weeks before you count us out. When healthy and signed, this will be a different team. I’ve been down on them but the negativity in here is silly.

JT has been a beast, so entertaining to watch.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I’m just going to say this - do you think your opinion could be influenced by your hatred of him?

The reason I ask is because you claimed that things are bright for NYI since stealing Lou, but Lou actually offered more.

Murray, widely considered on here as a top 5 GM offered 2 million more a year!

Boston’s offer was apparently close fianncially.

So either Dubas/Shanny, Murray, Lou and Sweeney are all bad at pricing out Tavares...or maybe, just maybe he is worth 11 million as a UFA.

Forgive me for thinking that you anger is actually guiding you - turns out you are just smarter than top NHL executives.

No it's not. I wish it were. At the moment I honestly hate the guy- people like him disgust me. Just a really really bad show of character and not AT ALL what I expected from our former Captain. He is a good player, but he was absolutely the wrong player at the wrong time for the Leafs- because of the cost to your team. I often wonder if he wasn't from Toronto, would the Leafs have gone after him this hard. The Islanders could have afforded him but it could have also cost the team in the long run. I would have liked to have the assets in return though before he left. Again read the posts I cited above that I made in August. Read that thread through. If they look biased to you, well then I don't know what to tell you.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Look at my posts before the season started. I warned you guys.

Here it is:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...to-our-defense.2482493/page-13#post-148851535

and here:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...pot-in-regards-to-our-defense.2482493/page-14

and here:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...pot-in-regards-to-our-defense.2482493/page-15

Hey Sherlock, was I salty then? Here's an interesting post I made in August Sherlock: "Also in regards to the Tavares acquisition, I'm looking at the long term consequences for your team. Let's face it he's costly. As an Islander fan, I was hoping he would re-sign with the team, but I've often worried about at what cost, given the big contract that McDavid signed."

and how about this one:

Hardly "free". Your argument is only true when the asset comes cheaply as in a pick or young prospect. You hobble a team when your asset takes a big bite out of your cap space such that in the future you MUST give up vital assets in order to keep the team somewhat intact. You force yourself into making hard decisions and losing assets you would rather not lose but are forced to let go. So no, I'm not buying this argument.

The whole purpose of the Cap was to create parity in the league such that big market teams could not grab all the assets because they had the resources to do so. Today the name of the game to build a balanced team, I'm not so sure (and neither is the OP) that the Leafs are anywhere close to having accomplished this.

And what was your opinion before he became a Leaf?

That last paragraph is so sad. I can hear the pain in your words. JT is happy now, let it go.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
He’s not necessarily worth 11 million, but he’s an incredible 2nd line center under Matthews. He’s streaky and going through a rough streak right now but he’ll be back to his usually form in a few

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
No it's not. I wish it were. At the moment I honestly hate the guy. He is a good player, but he was absolutely the wrong player at the wrong time for the Leafs- because of the cost to your team. I often wonder if he wasn't from Toronto, would the Leafs have gone after him this hard. The Islanders could have afforded him but it could have also cost the team in the long run. I would have liked to have the assets in return though before he left. Again read the posts I cited above that I made in August. Read that thread through. If they look biased to you, well then I don't know what to tell you.

He cost to our team is cap space, and that keeps going up. The Marleau signing is far more painful than Tavares.

You didn’t comment on the part where 3 respected executives wanted John at the same price or more.

Are you a better talent evaluator than Sweeney, Dubas, Murray and Lou?

They all think John is worth 11.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
He cost to our team is cap space, and that keeps going up. The Marleau signing is far more painful than Tavares.

You didn’t comment on the part where 3 respected executives wanted John at the same price or more.

Are you a better talent evaluator than Sweeney, Dubas, Murray and Lou?

They all think John is worth 11.

Talent wise, I don't think it takes a genius to figure out what Tavares has to offer. I have pretty solid business acumen and own my own company and sign many many contracts. This one doesn't make much sense to me. Like I said, before I changed my name to FUJudas91 I was Rehabguy and I posted in this thread. Read on. I'm saying the same thing now as I said then. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...pot-in-regards-to-our-defense.2482493/page-13

Posted a lot on that thread. Just trying to say I'm not throwing a tantrum just reconfirming what I thought and think will happen in regards to the Tavares signing.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
UFA's are almost never worth their contract because they always get overpaid. Its just a fact of life in the Nhl.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
LOL. That's exactly what you DO LOOK LIKE! :laugh: You are following the Snow model of building a team. In fact, you took the very centerpiece of that model in Judas. All offense and no defense. Trust me. IT FAILED!

All you need to do now is hire Cappy and you're all set! :laugh:

Who's Judas?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Find a center better than Tavares not names McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, McKinnon, who can carry a team on their backs alone
If you ever watched how Elias Pettersson played so far this year, I can foretell that he will definitely be better than JT. I was hoping if Isles do not resign JT, he would be interested to come to Vancouver last summer. Now I am glad Canucks did not so they can save cap space for their 4 young future stars - Petterson, Boeser, Horvat, and possibly Hughes if he is as good as his scouting report says.

Tavares is worth his contract now but not so sure a few years down the road. If TML wins a cup during his prime then definitely yes. The management may need to be careful though. You do not want have reluctantly signed players who have a lingering grudge against his GM or teammates if he views that another teammate took the big raise he craves for. These kind of things can lead to dissension within the locker room and carry over to the ice level. This is the reason why I do have a lot of respect for Crosby and Malkin both, not just for their incredible skills and dedication on ice. They both put their team ahead of themselves and did so happily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad