Is Tavares worth his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Except it obviously does have to do with Tavares, because when you sign 1 player for $11 million there's less money to go around for other players
yeah, other players. Nylander for market value isn't one of them, but it might cost them someone like Gardiner

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
At most it's like a 1M overpay. Not the end of the world. In terms of value that is - not the actual worth of his contract.

If he gets ~85 points a season for 5 years the Leafs will be more than satisfied

As for worth of the contract - Toews signed for 10.5M in 2015. Are you really surprised that Tavares could command 11M three years later, entering the market as the marquee UFA since Kovalchuk? Who was coveted to no end?

Simple economics people. Wasn't San Jose offering like $13M?

Reactions: Instant

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think it is a fair market value.

I just hate that the media made it sound like some sweetheart deal for toronto and made it out to be a bargain.
Just because San Jose was willing to pay more doesn't mean its a bargain.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
yeah, other players. Nylander for market value isn't one of them, but it might cost them someone like Gardiner
I don't understand... If signing Nylander for market value isn't an issue then why isn't he playing. Is he asking for that much? 8AVV? I'd say 6.5 is pretty fair.

I suspect TML is lowballibg him cause they know cap hell is looming.

Last edited:

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
At most it's like a 1M overpay. Not the end of the world. In terms of value that is - not the actual worth of his contract.

If he gets ~85 points a season for 5 years the Leafs will be more than satisfied

As for worth of the contract - Toews signed for 10.5M in 2015. Are you really surprised that Tavares could command 11M three years later, entering the market as the marquee UFA since Kovalchuk? Who was coveted to no end?

Simple economics people. Wasn't San Jose offering like $13M?

Lol @ 85 pts a season for the next five years. He's never once hit that mark.

But I know, I know... Now he's playing for the mighty leafs so logic is no longer applicable.

Reactions: Pens x

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Well one things for certain, the Tavares contract is an absolute boon compared to the one Shea Weber has.
Who cares? Montreal has zero problems with the cap right now, and we don't have anyone holding out on our team for more money.

Well seeing as we're about a month into the season and neither side is budging, it looks Nylander might be the Leafs' first cap casualty.

Reactions: Axel574 and Pens x

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Excuse me ur correct... Doesn't change the fact the expecting 5 consecutive 85 pts season is a bit of wishful thinking.

Approximately 85 points is what I wrote. Even if it's 75 points - freeing up Matthews to get 90 or more - it's worth roughly what he's paid, considering context. I did say he was slightly overpaid.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't understand... If signing Nylander for market value isn't an issue then why isn't he playing. Is he asking for that much? 8AVV? I'd say 6.5 is pretty fair.

I suspect TML is lowballibg him cause they know cap hell is looming.

If Nylander accepts 6.5M the Leafs have him signed before the season starts.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
"Demanded" to not be traded is a strong term. The analogy I made at the time was like taking a hot tinder match out on your third or fourth date without so much as a goodnight kiss or any affection. As much as you want to say "so are you just using me for free dinners or can we go make out in the back of my Jeep?", you risk her telling you to screw off and that's that. So you grind your teeth knowing she's probably using you, because you really really wanna make out with her in the back of your jeep. Thus was the Islanders placating Tavares to where he didn't he didn't have to make hard "demands".

The implication was that if we traded John, the team were the ones to break the special magical bond. The Tavares comes back to the Islanders book would be closed forever. He wants to stay with the Islanders, he'd insist again and again. In reality, this would have suited Judas perfectly: having Islander fans crying that he would have stayed with us if evil Snow hadn't broken the special magic bond while moving onto Toronto. Nobody mad at Johnny Sensitive.

But instead we got:

Tavares happy Islanders have no plans to trade him

That third paragraph is right - there is an absolute assumption that a team unsure about signing the player would wait to see what it can get. Even put out a general word, just let other GMs kick the tires a bit. Tampa's offering this, Boston can you match that? But no, Snow wouldn't/couldn't even do that, and Tavares knew because he didn't want to be traded. He just wanted to help the team, everything else is out of his control. By "help the team", I of course mean the final 20ish games and so long suckers.

Look, if you want to believe Snow is 100% responsible for everything and John is a pure honest soul who has never told a fib in his life like the Toronto fans, go for it. Tavares lead us on and then politely requested we not break the special magic trust by exploring a trade. He didn't want to be playing playoff hockey in June and risk some goon taking out his ACL, he needed to spend time with Brisson planning how to maximize the media circus around him.

I really hope Garth Snow writes an autobiography one day and just tells all.

Your post states that Snow told Tavares he wasn't being traded and Tavares was happy with that. That's really nothing Tavares did wrong. Snow is 95% to blame and Tavares is 5% imo. The only thing I don't believe him on is when he says he never thought about going elsewhere throughout the season (but this is PR 101, what's he supposed to say that he can't wait to leave)? Islander fans are upset because he has been the face of our franchise for a decade and left when in reality did he really do anything worse than Nielsen or De Haan?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
If you ever watched how Elias Pettersson played so far this year, I can foretell that he will definitely be better than JT. I was hoping if Isles do not resign JT, he would be interested to come to Vancouver last summer. Now I am glad Canucks did not so they can save cap space for their 4 young future stars - Petterson, Boeser, Horvat, and possibly Hughes if he is as good as his scouting report says.

Tavares is worth his contract now but not so sure a few years down the road. If TML wins a cup during his prime then definitely yes. The management may need to be careful though. You do not want have reluctantly signed players who have a lingering grudge against his GM or teammates if he views that another teammate took the big raise he craves for. These kind of things can lead to dissension within the locker room and carry over to the ice level. This is the reason why I do have a lot of respect for Crosby and Malkin both, not just for their incredible skills and dedication on ice. They both put their team ahead of themselves and did so happily.

Wow!!! You're really something.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Who cares? Montreal has zero problems with the cap right now, and we don't have anyone holding out on our team for more money.

Well seeing as we're about a month into the season and neither side is budging, it looks Nylander might be the Leafs' first cap casualty.
But but but Dubas said he would keep the big 4.

No one is criticizing Dubas only months after continuing to say this all summer. The media and team has done well at blaming this on nylander being greedy and not the fact that Toronto has to pinch pennies now with Tavares eating up a huge chunk of the cap.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's been really good for the most part. Last couple games the team has been in a funk though.

He can be better and he'll probably get going very soon.

I love Leafs threads on the main boards. It brings everyone together.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Keep laughing. The Isles may win the cup before the Leafs. If this signing goes down the tubes, the likelihood increases.
The Isles are in no way set up to win a cup. The level of talent is nowhere close. and the Isles pipeline has nothing near enough to make them an elite team. so I'm really not worried.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018

But Toews is somehow overpaid for putting up similar regular season numbers, but delivering THREE Cups?

Yes, yes I am. Toews was a proven commodity when he signed. Tavares isn't. To ask for more than a guy who has had a significantly better career is quite ballsy. But then again, look at the GM he was negotiating with.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Okay... So what's the problem? I doubt it's a half million stopping this? Do you know where each camp is standing? Honestly I don't know.

I've heard both are being firm, I'm guessing 1 to 1.5M apart. But it's all hearsay. Its also likely from the direction of his agent and father.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
But Toews is somehow overpaid for putting up similar regular season numbers, but delivering THREE Cups?

Yes, yes I am. Toews was a proven commodity when he signed. Tavares isn't. To ask for more than a guy who has had a significantly better career is quite ballsy. But then again, look at the GM he was negotiating with.

Teams deliver cups, not single players. And 9 years isn't a proven commodity? Tough crowd.

Bottom line is Toews got a larger piece of the cap then Tavares.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
He’s a few million overpaid given his past and current production. But that’s what a big time UFA costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad