Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
18nov2.gif
And he's got 7 goals and 14 points???

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Excelled in NY at getting empty net points . Also loves trying to do 1-1:30 minute shifts in OT that cost the winning goal against. For the OP, yes, he is worth every $

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, I'd get it if he were struggling, but he's on pace for 88 pts, a career high.
If he does through a couple of dry spells and scores 90 points anyway there will NOT be questions like this at year end.

2 losses by the leafs (one of which they were the better team) and the HF collective pounces.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
save the jinxs for the Sabres please...last thing we want is the Leafs players to go on a tear again especially if they play the Sabres.

Reactions: Devonator

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Completely wrong. There's a reason Nylander is unsigned. If you think Nylander is a nothing than have at it. Tavares at 9 Million (which he never would have agreed to) and Nylander is in the lineup day one this year. Even JT at 10 Million and you give Nylander 7 which would have been perfect. Tavares at 11 is insane and that's why Nylander isn't in the lineup because they want to give him 6 so it works. Tavares is clearly not twice the player Nylander is but the Leafs want to pay him like he is. That' there problem in a nutshell and I completely agree with Willie on this. Mathews, Marner and JT will all be 10 Mil + but Nylander is only 6.5? Really? I don't blame him at all for holding out.

Hi, do you get the reality of contracts in the NHL? Do you think people get paid relatively what they are worth and that's how things work?

UFAs = Always Overpaid

Regardless of what happens with Tavares based upon how the NHL currently works and not some fantasy, Tavares is a good signing and they can't cave to Nylander at 8/year.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
If he does through a couple of dry spells and scores 90 points anyway there will NOT be questions like this at year end.

2 losses by the leafs (one of which they were the better team) and the HF collective pounces.

Is it any different than the whole offseason and projection threads after the first few games of the season that we all had to endure?

Look, other teams fans have to deal with the minority of Leafs fans that are loud and annoying, and in turn, the other Leafs fans have to deal with the reaction caused by them.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Is it any different than the whole offseason and projection threads after the first few games of the season that we all had to endure?

Look, other teams fans have to deal with the minority of Leafs fans that are loud and annoying, and in turn, the other Leafs fans have to deal with the reaction caused by them.
Well yes it sort of is. This one implies hes been a failure.

Which is kind of my point. If he continues exactly as is for the rest of the season, it's far from a failure.

And FFS, the leafs have been enduring offseason projections of the leafs missing the playoffs for 2 years now. When it got blatantly clear that those were purely idiotic, it became "wont win a round".

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Well yes it sort of is. This one implies hes been a failure.

Which is kind of my point. If he continues exactly as is for the rest of the season, it's far from a failure.

The thread is about if he's worth his contract, not if he's a failure.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The thread is about if he's worth his contract, not if he's a failure.
Whether hes worth his contract based on the start of the season. Based on the start of the season hes a 45 goal 90 point player?

Yes worth it.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Whether hes worth his contract based on the start of the season. Based on the start of the season hes a 45 goal 90 point player?

Yes worth it.

Good job answering the OP but somehow completely missing the point of our conversation. I already answered if he was worth his contract. Now you did too. Good job! That wasn't what we were talking about as I was explaining why "HF lost its mind after 2 games". A minority of Leafs fans often make this place intolerable, and in turn, the other Leafs should not be surprised when the pendulum swings the other way.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Good job answering the OP but somehow completely missing the point of our conversation. I already answered if he was worth his contract. Now you did too. Good job! That wasn't what we were talking about as I was explaining why "HF lost its mind after 2 games". A minority of Leafs fans often make this place intolerable, and in turn, the other Leafs should not be surprised when the pendulum swings the other way.
I think what you're missing is that the pendulum is always swinging the other way.

As I said, there are still people out there claiming the leafs will miss the playoffs. Last year it took till December before it changed to "but they will lose in the playoffs". And then "the leafs will miss the playoffs started again in the offseason".

This "pendulum swinging the other way" instance is just more stupid than most.

Hell there were two posters I recall quite clearly, one claimed the leafs would not make the playoffs and the sens would, well into December. The other claimed the sens played a "exciting brand of winning hockey, and carry the flag for ontario, and canada".
[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He was s a superstar player. No credible poster can deny that. So yeah of course he is.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
To answer the OP question- this is specifically a contract between the Leafs and Tavares and should be judged as such. It's not whether or not he's worth 11 million dollars a year. This contract signing is a horrible signing for the Leafs because it does not address what the Leafs need and hobbles their ability to address this problem now and in the forseeable future unless they give up other valuable assets. He may be worth 11 million to some teams who could have afforded him but it will prove to be just an abysmal decision by Leafs. It's like a guy who get's obsessed by horsepower and buys a twin turbo charger for his corvette but now can't afford the wheels. It's plain stupidity.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No, not even close.

At least he'll help put the Leafs in cap hell bringing joy to all non-Leafs fans around the world
This is typically the kind of response you get from a fan of a team that could pay twice as much and a player like that still wouldn't sign.

Senators fan?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
"Demanded" to not be traded is a strong term. The analogy I made at the time was like taking a hot tinder match out on your third or fourth date without so much as a goodnight kiss or any affection. As much as you want to say "so are you just using me for free dinners or can we go make out in the back of my Jeep?", you risk her telling you to screw off and that's that. So you grind your teeth knowing she's probably using you, because you really really wanna make out with her in the back of your jeep. Thus was the Islanders placating Tavares to where he didn't he didn't have to make hard "demands".

The implication was that if we traded John, the team were the ones to break the special magical bond. The Tavares comes back to the Islanders book would be closed forever. He wants to stay with the Islanders, he'd insist again and again. In reality, this would have suited Judas perfectly: having Islander fans crying that he would have stayed with us if evil Snow hadn't broken the special magic bond while moving onto Toronto. Nobody mad at Johnny Sensitive.

But instead we got:

Tavares happy Islanders have no plans to trade him

That third paragraph is right - there is an absolute assumption that a team unsure about signing the player would wait to see what it can get. Even put out a general word, just let other GMs kick the tires a bit. Tampa's offering this, Boston can you match that? But no, Snow wouldn't/couldn't even do that, and Tavares knew because he didn't want to be traded. He just wanted to help the team, everything else is out of his control. By "help the team", I of course mean the final 20ish games and so long suckers.

Look, if you want to believe Snow is 100% responsible for everything and John is a pure honest soul who has never told a fib in his life like the Toronto fans, go for it. Tavares lead us on and then politely requested we not break the special magic trust by exploring a trade. He didn't want to be playing playoff hockey in June and risk some goon taking out his ACL, he needed to spend time with Brisson planning how to maximize the media circus around him.

I really hope Garth Snow writes an autobiography one day and just tells all.

If you really believe this all I will say is you really don't know very much about the mindset of hockey players do you. Laughable.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
To answer the OP question- this is specifically a contract between the Leafs and Tavares and should be judged as such. This contract signing is a horrible signing for the Leafs because it does not address what the Leafs need and hobbles their ability to address this problem now and in the forseeable future unless they give up other valuable assets. He may be worth 11 million to some teams who could have afforded him but it will prove to be just an abysmal decision by Leafs. It's like a guy who buys a twin turbo charger for his corvette but now can't afford the wheels. It's plain stupidity.

My 2 cents is if the Leafs want to maximize Tavares signing they need to trade Marner(not Nylander) because he will be the one to get the defenseman they truly need

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
He is a tremendous player well worth his contract and I hate the fact that the Leafs got him!!

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He was s a superstar player. No credible poster can deny that. So yeah of course he is.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
"Demanded" to not be traded is a strong term. The analogy I made at the time was like taking a hot tinder match out on your third or fourth date without so much as a goodnight kiss or any affection. As much as you want to say "so are you just using me for free dinners or can we go make out in the back of my Jeep?", you risk her telling you to screw off and that's that. So you grind your teeth knowing she's probably using you, because you really really wanna make out with her in the back of your jeep. Thus was the Islanders placating Tavares to where he didn't he didn't have to make hard "demands".

The implication was that if we traded John, the team were the ones to break the special magical bond. The Tavares comes back to the Islanders book would be closed forever. He wants to stay with the Islanders, he'd insist again and again. In reality, this would have suited Judas perfectly: having Islander fans crying that he would have stayed with us if evil Snow hadn't broken the special magic bond while moving onto Toronto. Nobody mad at Johnny Sensitive.

But instead we got:

Tavares happy Islanders have no plans to trade him

That third paragraph is right - there is an absolute assumption that a team unsure about signing the player would wait to see what it can get. Even put out a general word, just let other GMs kick the tires a bit. Tampa's offering this, Boston can you match that? But no, Snow wouldn't/couldn't even do that, and Tavares knew because he didn't want to be traded. He just wanted to help the team, everything else is out of his control. By "help the team", I of course mean the final 20ish games and so long suckers.

Look, if you want to believe Snow is 100% responsible for everything and John is a pure honest soul who has never told a fib in his life like the Toronto fans, go for it. Tavares lead us on and then politely requested we not break the special magic trust by exploring a trade. He didn't want to be playing playoff hockey in June and risk some goon taking out his ACL, he needed to spend time with Brisson planning how to maximize the media circus around him.

I really hope Garth Snow writes an autobiography one day and just tells all.
So your claim is tavares actually did what he did because he DIDNT want to play playoff hockey.

Very bold cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad