Is Tavares worth his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You have any links or proof of Tavares lying?

Your word is worth everything but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Remember that time ol' truthful John said "hey Garth Snow, you know I'm probably going to explore my options this offseason, so if you'd like to recoup some assets for the organization feel free to trade me as a rental as I'm pretty sure I'll command a steep price"?

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
he is already worth every penny.

he has been the best player on the ice just about every game we've played this year (and yes, I've watched every one).

I guess if your a stat watching fan, that doesn't actually watch games, it can appear he goes silent ... even if you hate the guy you have to admit he has played very well this year.

His work ethic and strong playing is wonderful to watch.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
No i don't think he's worth 11M. That's just my opinion on watching him the last few years.

That said, anytime you have the opportunity to get a player of his caliber in FA you go for it. Especially considering the position he plays, and how tough it is to get good centers.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
No i don't think he's worth 11M. That's just my opinion on watching him the last few years.

That said, anytime you have the opportunity to get a player of his caliber in FA you go for it. Especially considering the position he plays, and how tough it is to get good centers.

As someone who has probably missed like 5 of Tavares' NHL games in his career, this is exactly who Tavares is. He is exactly as advertised. He's not fast or flashy, so he is not going to wow you in any way. He is streaky and can sometimes do too much, but he will surely get his deserved points. His style makes him appear "bad" when the points aren't there though because you don't see him breaking ankles and flying all over the ice, but he can still control play, especially down low. He's a top player below the hash marks.

Is he worth $11MM? Prob not -- but all UFAs are overpaid and it's not something you can evaluate by calculating points per dollar like armchair analysts on this board want to do. The 'worth it' will be simple: if they win a cup during that contract (or at least play for it a few times) and he is a major contributor, then yes definitely worth it. If they flame out every year with early exits and/or his contract inhibits them from keeping other talented players or strengthening their weaknesses, then no definitely not worth it.

Reactions: glovesave_35

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
As an Islander fan who has seen nearly every game he's played in he's absolutely worth the contract. With that said however he has always been a streaky player.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Remember that time ol' truthful John said "hey Garth Snow, you know I'm probably going to explore my options this offseason, so if you'd like to recoup some assets for the organization feel free to trade me as a rental as I'm pretty sure I'll command a steep price"?

I don't but it does sound credible that such a conversation may have happened.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

In all fairness on the Isles board I've asked a few times for proof/a link showing that JT demanded not to be traded. Posters have said "insert name" stated it, but not one person has ever provided a link (to my knowledge). Just saying.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Also as a longtime fan of JT and the Islanders I can attest he is a very streaky player. He will disappear some games but usually has an impact on games even when he isn't scoring. Not fast or flashy. Hard worker.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
In all fairness on the Isles board I've asked a few times for proof/a link showing that JT demanded not to be traded. Posters have said "insert name" stated it, but not one person has ever provided a link (to my knowledge). Just saying.

"Demanded" to not be traded is a strong term. The analogy I made at the time was like taking a hot tinder match out on your third or fourth date without so much as a goodnight kiss or any affection. As much as you want to say "so are you just using me for free dinners or can we go make out in the back of my Jeep?", you risk her telling you to screw off and that's that. So you grind your teeth knowing she's probably using you, because you really really wanna make out with her in the back of your jeep. Thus was the Islanders placating Tavares to where he didn't he didn't have to make hard "demands".

The implication was that if we traded John, the team were the ones to break the special magical bond. The Tavares comes back to the Islanders book would be closed forever. He wants to stay with the Islanders, he'd insist again and again. In reality, this would have suited Judas perfectly: having Islander fans crying that he would have stayed with us if evil Snow hadn't broken the special magic bond while moving onto Toronto. Nobody mad at Johnny Sensitive.

But instead we got:

Tavares happy Islanders have no plans to trade him

The news that John Tavares will not be dealt was not actually news at all to Tavares. It was welcome nonetheless.

“Well, I don’t want to be traded,” he said after the team’s rigorous practice Friday at Northwell Health Ice Center.

It is natural for speculation to surface about a star who is eligible for free agency at the end of the season. In some instances, there is an assumption that a team that is unsure about signing the player would want to see what it can get, rather than risk the chance of losing him and getting nothing in return. That is not the case with the Islanders.

“It’s nice to hear that,” Tavares said, “but I had a good sense of that already. For me, I’m just trying to do my best to help this team. Everything else is out of my control. The goal is to get to the playoffs and compete for the Stanley Cup.”

That third paragraph is right - there is an absolute assumption that a team unsure about signing the player would wait to see what it can get. Even put out a general word, just let other GMs kick the tires a bit. Tampa's offering this, Boston can you match that? But no, Snow wouldn't/couldn't even do that, and Tavares knew because he didn't want to be traded. He just wanted to help the team, everything else is out of his control. By "help the team", I of course mean the final 20ish games and so long suckers.

Look, if you want to believe Snow is 100% responsible for everything and John is a pure honest soul who has never told a fib in his life like the Toronto fans, go for it. Tavares lead us on and then politely requested we not break the special magic trust by exploring a trade. He didn't want to be playing playoff hockey in June and risk some goon taking out his ACL, he needed to spend time with Brisson planning how to maximize the media circus around him.

I really hope Garth Snow writes an autobiography one day and just tells all.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
As a Leafs fan i would say overpaid slightly. I would rather overpay Tavares slightly than overpay a 3rd liner like Clarkson. Pay the stars not the grinders. Boston and San Jose had contracts lined up for Tavares. So it's not like the Leafs were the only team willing to pay.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Considering what players are getting these days 11 for him is fine right now. However in 3-4 years he will be over paid but if they win the Cup within the next 3 years or so it will have been worth it.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Giroux and Tavares used to always be compared on here.

I still don't think he's reached Giroux's heights.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s overpaid. But these are the kind of overpayments that any team would make. It’s overpaying plugs that gets you in trouble in the long run.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
He’s overpaid. But these are the kind of overpayments that any team would make. It’s overpaying plugs that gets you in trouble in the long run.
Overpay Tavares or comfortably sign Matthews, Marner and Nylander? Seems Tavares big cap hit have complicated things. If they dont have a deep run will leafs fans will it was worth it?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
He's one million percent worth the money when no other assets had to be given up.

If we traded assets for him there might be a discussion, but a player of his pedigree for 11million and nothing else is a no-brainer.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
He's one million percent worth the money when no other assets had to be given up.

If we traded assets for him there might be a discussion, but a player of his pedigree for 11million and nothing else is a no-brainer.

One million percent, huh? Math definitely checks out.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
lol at that one game sample size.

He's been fine. He leads the league in shots from the slot.

SlotShots11.02-1024x576.png

Totally unimpressive.
Weird flex but ok

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016

Completely wrong. There's a reason Nylander is unsigned. If you think Nylander is a nothing than have at it. Tavares at 9 Million (which he never would have agreed to) and Nylander is in the lineup day one this year. Even JT at 10 Million and you give Nylander 7 which would have been perfect. Tavares at 11 is insane and that's why Nylander isn't in the lineup because they want to give him 6 so it works. Tavares is clearly not twice the player Nylander is but the Leafs want to pay him like he is. That' there problem in a nutshell and I completely agree with Willie on this. Mathews, Marner and JT will all be 10 Mil + but Nylander is only 6.5? Really? I don't blame him at all for holding out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->