Is Stamkos largely a passenger?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Future UFAs won't look at it that way. They will say to themselves:

"If I sign here, and move my family here or start a family here, thinking there is a commitment, then will this team later try to break that commitment and force me to make drastic changes to my situation and my family's situation? They did it to Stamkos, their former captain, so why wouldn't they do it to me?"

You don't ask players you signed to long-term deals to waive their NMC, especially when they are your captain.

If Stamkos ever moves, it will be due to Stamkos making the request, not the Lightning asking him to waive his NMC.
Players would have to be very naive to think getting traded isn't on the table literally anywhere. That's why they push for NMCs if they have the leverage to do so.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
A lot of people love to bash Stamkos around here to the point that I think he’s underrated. The argument that there’s 4 or 5 guys better than him on the team, while probably true, is silly considering how stacked Tampa is. His shot, while not what it once was, is still world class.

That said, these playoffs are probably the worst I’ve seen him play since his rookie season. He’s not strong on the puck, can’t cycle, and often makes bad decisions. He’s working hard and playing well defensively but offensively he’s a liability unless he is shooting.

The most logical conclusion is he’s dealing with some sort of nagging injury (again).

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
His last couple seasons summarized: Elite in the regular season until he gets injured, misses games, returns early for playoffs at not 100%, gets banged up more, consequently plays even worse and less, off-season surgery/recovery, repeat.

He’s clearly not 100% right now and it’s a shame. When healthy he’s not only an elite level sniper, but great defensively with actual playmaking qualities, good vision, explosive skating and will throw the occasional big hit.

Right now he’s a decoy on the left circle on the PP and will take important faceoffs and end his shift.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Players would have to be very naive to think getting traded isn't on the table literally anywhere. That's why they push for NMCs if they have the leverage to do so.
You are right. And Stamkos has a NMC.

Asking him to waive it and creating the thought in his mind that he isn't welcome anymore doesn't look good on the organization.

Again, a future UFA is going to say "They asked Stamkos to waive his NMC. Will they ask me?".

At that point, it becomes a lose-lose situation for the player. You either waive and go somewhere that originally wasn't your first choice. Or you don't waive and stick with an organization that you know wants you gone.

No future UFA is going to want to risk being put in that situation.

This is why Stamkos won't be asked to waive.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Big time. Only time you notice him is on the PP. it’s a shame he was a great great player at one time
There was a time from 2010 to 2014 when it wasn't a Big 3 (Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin) anymore, and had turned into a Big 4 with Stamkos included.

Reactions: Voight

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
It depends on how much he enjoys driving himself I think. Some guys that rich that are still young are really into cars and like to drive, but he can certainly afford to have somebody drive him around if that's what he prefers. When it's just him and his wife who knows, I can't say for certain which of them would usually drive and which one rides in the front seat.
You're a bad, bad man.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
If we are talking about passengers, we should probably start with this guy:

8475848.jpg

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
There was a time from 2010 to 2014 when it wasn't a Big 3 (Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin) anymore, and had turned into a Big 4 with Stamkos included.

I'm not sure Stamkos was ever in that tier, in the same way that Kane wasn't either. And Kane was racking up playoff success at the time.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I wouldn't say it was that long a period. It was really only that season he broke his leg, and maybe that shortened season before it. Right before that injury happened, everyone was talking about how he was putting it all together as a center (two-way play, assists, faceoffs, etc.), whereas before he was just a pure goalscorer.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Like when Crosby "passed the baton" to Giroux during a first round Playoff Series?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Like when Crosby "passed the baton" to Giroux during a first round Playoff Series?
That was one playoff series.

Stamkos was putting up seasons of 51 goals and 60 goals, while also 90s in points multiple seasons (when 90s in points was harder than it is in 2020-2021).

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
That was one playoff series.

Stamkos was putting up seasons of 51 goals and 60 goals, while also 90s in points multiple seasons (when 90s in points was harder than it is in 2020-2021).

People still sometimes don't respect Ovechkin's career because he was primarily a goal scorer. I think you'll be hard pressed to convince people that didn't already believe it that Stamkos was in that tier.

Hell, his 60 goal season would've been an even bigger landmark season with a Hart and probably Lindsay but it lined up with Malkin's best season ever. His first two injury seasons he was leading in points pre injury and I believe stayed in the lead in GPG. His story is just timing and circumstance (being injury and having 3 of the best players of all time in the league with him)

In an alternate universe there's probably a big 3-5 with some mix of Kane, Giroux, Stamkos, Getzlaf and Perry.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Well, Stamkos had 156 goals in three seasons. 156. He was at one point in time he was in the group with Ovechkin/Crosby/Malkin, how could he not be?

He had 14 goals in 17 games in 2013 and led the league in points and +/-, was well on his way to Hart honors. And then he broke his tibia in Boston and needed a titanium rod inserted into his leg and screwed together. He's never been the same since.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Pre-Leg-Break-Stamkos was undeniably elite. He was playing the best hockey of career, defensively/offensively, when he broke his leg... This is the type of injury that kills careers.

If you notice, Post-Leg-Break-Stamkos diminished in every way possible. His shot was not as hard or accurate. He lost explosiveness and speed. He also became more of a floater than the guy that would backcheck as hard as he would attack. It's very sad. I remember when he was the 4th guy after Sid/Ovi/Malkin

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Pre-Leg-Break-Stamkos was undeniably elite. He was playing the best hockey of career, defensively/offensively, when he broke his leg... This is the type of injury that kills careers.

If you notice, Post-Leg-Break-Stamkos diminished in every way possible. His shot was not as hard or accurate. He lost explosiveness and speed. He also became more of a floater than the guy that would backcheck as hard as he would attack. It's very sad. I remember when he was the 4th guy after Sid/Ovi/Malkin

How does breaking a leg affect one's shot and accuracy

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
How does breaking a leg affect one's shot and accuracy
I'm not a doctor or hockey player but I'd have to imagine playing on a titanium rod in his leg impacts his ability to transition weight, balance, and just overall trust his lower body. Not to the point that he can no longer play, but to the point that his shot power and accuracy are not quite what they once were when his body was healthier.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I look at Stamkos statistics these playoffs, and they shock me a little.

I have watched almost every Lightning playoff game, and he has barely been noticeable. Especially at even-strength, where you never even notice he is on the ice.

I know he has padded his statistics in a couple of blowout games. But still, 18 points in 22 games is surprising for someone who has been invisible.

He won't ever be traded though. First, he has a NMC. Second, it isn't a good look for an organization that trades their captain midway through a long-term contract, one that he signed as a pending UFA. Every other UFA will think twice before signing there if they trade Stamkos.

I somehow doubt trading Stamkos would outweigh playing on a borderline dynasty team with low taxes and good weather.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad