Is Stamkos largely a passenger?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Ever since his 2013 leg injury, Stamkos has been something of a what-if. He was coming off a 60-goal season and pacing for close to 50. My memory at the time is of him as a top-10 player in the world, playing the best hockey of his life.

Today, after a few more injuries and at the ripe old age of 31, he's invisible for long stretches at even-strength. Although he has a respectable 18 points in 22 games, 12 of them have come on the powerplay. And last year his team demonstrated that he may be superfluous, winning the Cup with less than 3 minutes of postseason ice time from him.

Now I like him as a player and this thread isn't to bash him, but I can't recall a similar situation in which a former 1st overall pick, only a few years removed from his prime and making >$8M, seems largely extraneous to his team's overwhelming success. Contrasting his position to other 1st OAs who are by and large expected to be "the guy", you could argue Stamkos is the 6th (or worse) most important player on his team.

So for the sake of discussion:
  • Does last year's Cup or this year's (probable) Cup have any impact on his legacy in your eyes?
  • Is he overpaid for what he brings to the table?
  • Where does he rank on his own team?
  • Should Tampa consider moving on from him after his contract? Or what is a fair value for a future contract?

Reactions: Ursus8

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
An injured passenger yes but he has been a huge asset to TB and helped make them the power they are. He has put in his due and is now being carried by a stacked squad.

Reactions: Iwuwd

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
  • Is he overpaid for what he brings to the table?
I think it depends on how you look at it. He's a very valuable regular season player still. For a bubble team he'd be worth a lot. For Tampa though, they don't really need him. They didn't even really need Kucherov for the regular season either. For Tampa he's overpaid at 8.5 million. For someone else he might not be.

• Where does he rank on his own team?
In terms of importance I'd rank him behind Point, Kucherov, Vasi, Hedman and McDonagh.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It depends on how much he enjoys driving himself I think. Some guys that rich that are still young are really into cars and like to drive, but he can certainly afford to have somebody drive him around if that's what he prefers. When it's just him and his wife who knows, I can't say for certain which of them would usually drive and which one rides in the front seat.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
It depends on how much he enjoys driving himself I think. Some guys that rich that are still young are really into cars and like to drive, but he can certainly afford to have somebody drive him around if that's what he prefers. When it's just him and his wife who knows, I can't say for certain which of them would usually drive and which one rides in the front seat.
That was pretty good

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
I think they're such a stacked team, they don't need someone to carry them, even Kucherov. They're so deep, one night it's someone, another night it's someone else. I think his Kirk Gibson moment last year locked up the Cup for TB. No way they were losing after that, even though it was his only on-ice contribution. Very inspirational, and shows they look up to him as a leader

Reactions: NatoGhost

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Yes

He doesnt suck and back checks etc

Stamkos just like Tavares are overpaid

Instead of Stamkos salary... TBL instead could keep Goodrow, Coleman, Savard

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He's largely a passenger. in the ambalance when he rips his groin putting on his flipflops

Last edited:

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I look at Stamkos statistics these playoffs, and they shock me a little.

I have watched almost every Lightning playoff game, and he has barely been noticeable. Especially at even-strength, where you never even notice he is on the ice.

I know he has padded his statistics in a couple of blowout games. But still, 18 points in 22 games is surprising for someone who has been invisible.

He won't ever be traded though. First, he has a NMC. Second, it isn't a good look for an organization that trades their captain midway through a long-term contract, one that he signed as a pending UFA. Every other UFA will think twice before signing there if they trade Stamkos.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He won't ever be traded though. First, he has a NMC. Second, it isn't a good look for an organization that trades their captain midway through a long-term contract, one that he signed as a pending UFA. Every other UFA will think twice before signing there if they trade Stamkos.
It's a business.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think they could use his money more effectively, for sure, but he's still a very nice piece to have and has had a great career.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
He's still very effective on the power play but 5 on 5 he's been a total non-factor these playoffs.

Stamkos in his prime was a guy who thrived playing the game at hyper speed. He's still a great skater but now on the other side of 30 and many injuries, he just does not have that gear anymore and therefore easier to defend.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I look at Stamkos statistics these playoffs, and they shock me a little.

I have watched almost every Lightning playoff game, and he has barely been noticeable. Especially at even-strength, where you never even notice he is on the ice.

I know he has padded his statistics in a couple of blowout games. But still, 18 points in 22 games is surprising for someone who has been invisible.
best player in the world when you're up by 3 goals late in the third period with a powerplay

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
It's a business.
Future UFAs won't look at it that way. They will say to themselves:

"If I sign here, and move my family here or start a family here, thinking there is a commitment, then will this team later try to break that commitment and force me to make drastic changes to my situation and my family's situation? They did it to Stamkos, their former captain, so why wouldn't they do it to me?"

You don't ask players you signed to long-term deals to waive their NMC, especially when they are your captain.

If Stamkos ever moves, it will be due to Stamkos making the request, not the Lightning asking him to waive his NMC.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
As we discussed in that other thread, clearly yes. He’s not a great player anymore and is well down the list when it comes to Tampa’s best and most important players.

With that being said, I was low key rooting for him to score the GWG on the PP the other night. That would have been special.

With that being said, outside of being a trigger man here and there, the play tends to die on his stick unfortunately. If he gets the puck I’m expecting a turnover or lost puck battle more often than not.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Already had a thread about this but yes. At least he's good at faceoffs and can score on the PP once in a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->