Is Stamkos largely a passenger?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Didn't notice him much. He used to score a lot of goals against Price and he tried, I guess he's been relegated to defense duty. That's how powerful that team his, a two-time Rocket trophy winner and he played defensively.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
Stamkos had 45 Goals and 98 points two seasons ago.

He then had 29 Goals and 66 points in 57 games just last season.

Stamkos has had his two best Point production years of his career. He is not Past his prime.

How has he not got it done? lol. All he does is consistently score at a 40 goal, 80-90 point pace, year in and year out.

He had 66 points in 57 games WITHOUT Kuch feeding him.

Hedmonster Bolt

Les Paul Goon Life
May 8, 2018
Largo,Fl
Is Stammer what he once was, no, but he is the unquestioned leader of our team. He set the standard for this organization with his taking less to keep the team together, cheering on the team during the bubble and most importantly, being a good human being and outstanding example for the rest to follow.

Reactions: Gjman2019

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Everyone acting like Stamkos is washed up...he's 31. He's not going to peak or anything but he has a few 30-40 goal seasons left at the least. Iginla was a much more physical player and he produced into his mid-30s. Stamoks isn't done. He just may be done with Tampa.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
18 points in 23 games on route to a cup. You've obviously never played ice hockey in your life so ill leave it at that

Yeah, pretty much this.

I mean he's not the player he once was, literally the most dangerous goal scorer in the league with/slightly behind Ovi, but he's still a big contributor.

Reactions: WeeBey

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The guy is the freaking captain of the team with the best culture in the league. He leads by example, and others follow his example. He took less than he could of made as a UFA to stay in Tampa. As have others. He back checks, goes into corners, and finishes checks. He knows his role (not a star), and doesn’t complain. New players are welcomed in and allowed to shine. There doesn’t seem to be any jealousy about Point coming in and being a stud. Nobody asks for trades out. Somehow this gets missed by a lot of people.

Meanwhile he had more points these playoffs than anyone on Montreal, a team which gets tons of praise for players knowing their roles, finishing checks, going into corners, etc.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Won't make Team Canada 2022. He's done.

Shame he'll never appear on the ice for a best on best Team Canada.

Has a Sochi Gold Medal to go alongside these cups so terrific for him.
He didn't play in Sochi. He was out with a broken leg. Unless you mean the World cup

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
He's basically Patrick Sharp at this point.
Not a passenger but not really a "core" piece either.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Stamkos had a good playoff run this year, calling him a passenger is nonsense.

Last year he was injured, this year he played the majority of the playoff run.

Back to back cups is good enough, plus he has the stats and the hardware. He’s bound for the HOF.

Reactions: berlin

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Dude had 18 points this post season he's hardly just a passenger. Oh he's also a back to back stanley cup captain.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
18 points in 23 games on route to a cup. You've obviously never played ice hockey in your life so ill leave it at that

I can assure you I've played hockey and will continue to do so for many more years.

But instead of "a passenger", which sounds pejorative, let's say "superfluous" or as someone else said "a luxury". I'm not suggesting he's at risk of washing out of the league. More that he's tumbled down the list of most important players on his own team due to some unfortunate injuries, while still being relatively young and getting paid near-elite money. Some of his decline is masked by playing with such an elite group of teammates, but if their depth takes a big hit in the coming years, it'll be harder to ignore. 66% of those 18 points came on the PP and he's hardly noticeable at ES. So my question is at what point does that potentially become a problem, and what is a fair market value for him moving forward?

At any rate I'm happy he got to win one on the ice, last year seemed kind of bittersweet for him.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
To finish that thought, I had originally drafted the thread as a discussion about the impact of Cups on his legacy.

In his case I'm finding they hold relatively less value to me compared to if he had won one during his pre-injury, 50-60 goal days. In particular because of how his team kept rolling without him last year. The Cups are still a feather or two in his cap to be sure, but they don't feel like the sort of crowning achievement that say watching Ovechkin finally hoist the Cup did.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Well he isn't a top 5 player for Tampa. But so what? The Bolts are stacked.

He'd be the best player on a few teams, and a top line player on most teams.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I look at Stamkos statistics these playoffs, and they shock me a little.

I have watched almost every Lightning playoff game, and he has barely been noticeable. Especially at even-strength, where you never even notice he is on the ice.

I know he has padded his statistics in a couple of blowout games. But still, 18 points in 22 games is surprising for someone who has been invisible.

He won't ever be traded though. First, he has a NMC. Second, it isn't a good look for an organization that trades their captain midway through a long-term contract, one that he signed as a pending UFA. Every other UFA will think twice before signing there if they trade Stamkos.

Also a guy who took less to stick around and help the team.

Anyhow, Stamkos was obviously given the contract when he was still among the leagues best players. Heck, even 2 years ago he was top 10 in points and he just turned 30 last year. COuld still have some good years left.

Reactions: dalewood12

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Ever since his 2013 leg injury, Stamkos has been something of a what-if. He was coming off a 60-goal season and pacing for close to 50. My memory at the time is of him as a top-10 player in the world, playing the best hockey of his life.

Today, after a few more injuries and at the ripe old age of 31, he's invisible for long stretches at even-strength. Although he has a respectable 18 points in 22 games, 12 of them have come on the powerplay. And last year his team demonstrated that he may be superfluous, winning the Cup with less than 3 minutes of postseason ice time from him.

Now I like him as a player and this thread isn't to bash him, but I can't recall a similar situation in which a former 1st overall pick, only a few years removed from his prime and making >$8M, seems largely extraneous to his team's overwhelming success. Contrasting his position to other 1st OAs who are by and large expected to be "the guy", you could argue Stamkos is the 6th (or worse) most important player on his team.

So for the sake of discussion:
  • Does last year's Cup or this year's (probable) Cup have any impact on his legacy in your eyes?
  • Is he overpaid for what he brings to the table?
  • Where does he rank on his own team?
  • Should Tampa consider moving on from him after his contract? Or what is a fair value for a future contract?
Whether anybody thinks Stamkos is a passenger, when he was a UFA and decided to resign with the Bolts instead of signing with the Leafs, I think he made the right choice and now he has two rings to prove it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A passenger is someone like Luke Schenn. Calling Stamkos a passenger is a ridiculous statement.

It's kind of not though. Stamkos wilts when the pressure rises. It's always been the case. He's gotten a LOT better in the regular season than he was after the broken leg, to the point that he might still be an elite player. But then the playoffs roll around and, when he's actually healthy enough to play, he disappears when the going gets tough.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Is Stammer what he once was, no, but he is the unquestioned leader of our team. He set the standard for this organization with his taking less to keep the team together, cheering on the team during the bubble and most importantly, being a good human being and outstanding example for the rest to follow.
He made a key shot block at the end of game 5. Not sure he'd have done the same 5 years ago. Yzerman also had to sacrifice points in order to win

Reactions: Hedmonster Bolt

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
If his name was Crosby, he might even wouldve had a case for Conn Smythe this season. This captain bullshit is overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->