Player Discussion Is Smith cooked? Edit: YEAH HE IS!

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Friedman made a good point this morning on The Fan. Play him similar to how the Habs treated Price after a bad start. Tell him Rittich is going to start the next few games and to work on his game only in practices. Don't worry about his next game, just work on his overall game.

Price looked fantastic last night so it's worth a shot.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Smith in the starter's net at practice this morning, according to Wills.

AGvYoTW.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd love for Smith to turn it around and find his game. But it is really hard to watch at this point, he is literally the biggest reason we are losing games right now.

Reactions: Steven

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'd love to have a better goalie but it is what it is. We know Treliving was in on most of the big ones, but he rightfully wouldn't part with the Tkachuk pick. People would be furious if he paid the assets needed this off season.

The free agent options weren't anything spectacular. I like Halak for what he is, but when I suggested trading for him after Smith went down last year I got basically roasted. He was the best free agent option.

Brad has been trying. But I don't think there's an option worth a first or one of our better prospects currently

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I liked Karri Ramo when he was here, his stats weren't amazing, around 2.62 GAA and SV% of .910, but if we had that goaltending this year we'd easily have 4-5 more points.

That was during the tank years with Hartley and the no defensive structure play. His GAA is a near full goal less than Smith's is right now and his sv% is .40 higher.

Hell, Hiller only had 11 counted losses that last year (his stats are terrible) whereas Ramo had 18.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I liked Karri Ramo when he was here, his stats weren't amazing, around 2.62 GAA and SV% of .910, but if we had that goaltending this year we'd easily have 4-5 more points.

That was during the tank years with Hartley and the no defensive structure play. His GAA is a near full goal less than Smith's is right now and his sv% is .40 higher.

Hell, Hiller only had 11 counted losses that last year (his stats are terrible) whereas Ramo had 18.
Ramo was fine, but his body ultimately betrayed him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Ramo was awful. I never saw a Flames goalie that lost his net as much as he did. He also couldn't string together two or three good games in a row to save his life. He was probably my least favourite post-Kipper goalie

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ramo was awful. I never saw a Flames goalie that lost his net as much as he did. He also couldn't string together two or three good games in a row to save his life. He was probably my least favourite post-Kipper goalie
He did string them together, though. He had an Elliott-esque late-season run during the year we made the playoffs. He and Hiller pretty much split games down the middle that year down the stretch, IIRC.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He did string them together, though. He had an Elliott-esque late-season run during the year we made the playoffs. He and Hiller pretty much split games down the middle that year down the stretch, IIRC.
In the end, Hiller stole the net back and backstopped en route to the playoffs and series win (yeah Ramo did come in relief in game 6). Both were pretty inconsistent goalies but I always preferred Hiller's style. Ramo never was truly in control to me - he looked like a homeless man's Hasek, except his unorthodox, scrambly nature didn't look intentional

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
In the end, Hiller stole the net back and backstopped en route to the playoffs and series win (yeah Ramo did come in relief in game 6). Both were pretty inconsistent goalies but I always preferred Hiller's style. Ramo never truly in control to me - he looked like a homeless man's Hasek, except his unorthodox, scrambly nature didn't look intentional

Eh Hiller's style positioning might not have been as bad, but his rebound control was awful so was his puck handling and tracking skills.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Ramo was a bit frantic at times but he was a solid NHL goalie. He was a good reason we made the playoffs in 2014-15 and he was why we were in the playoff race in 2015-16. I do not know if he ever recovered from that gruesome injury but prior to that he was the caliber of goalie you can win with if the team is good. A high-end starter, he was not as even that season you could tell the difference in caliber between him and a guy like Backstrom when Backstrom was on his game (Backstrom and Ortio gave us the best goaltended games that season actually). But he was good enough and if the Flames had him in net right now we would be a top team in the division. Of course I also think Ortio would have us up there with Nashville at the top of the conference. This team is really good.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
He tried so hard to find an excuse for that third goal for Smith, and after seeing the replay twice, just kinda got lost for words.
Yah, like the Flames brass should be getting to this point, too. Loss for words on why he is starting more than sitting lately?

I agree. There is no good time for a bad goal. I was not failing to see that point, it just wasn't the subject of the conversation, of which you are quoting one of the final posts.
Gotcha, yes I was replying specifically to the previous post of Smith's not hurting the Flames. Thanks

I'd love for Smith to turn it around and find his game. But it is really hard to watch at this point, he is literally the biggest reason we are losing games right now.
you got it. Not a particular bashing of Mike Smith as a person or player per say...just right now he should not be the go-to-guy more often than not, or the season will get away from potential positive and playoff contention! Almost U.S._ff'ing Tanksgiving and the losing is hitting steady with MS in net.

Kipper would be better than Smith if he came out of retirement.
Even Kelly Hrudey might outperform Smith right now? Scary...

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly Smith has been the worst starter in the league this season. I don’t believe he’s the worst goalie but he’s played like he is. It’s not debatable either.

At this point in time, the Flames should just sign Mason and see how he does. He won’t be any worse than Smith and he does have a high ceiling when he’s playimg well. If he doesn’t work out, no loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad