Player Discussion Is Smith cooked? Edit: YEAH HE IS!

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
Serious question; can we send smith to the minors and sign a back-up? The game seems to have left Smith like it does everyone. No disrespect to the dude, he's a competitor, big, tough, strong, good puckhandler. But his time seems to be over, unfortunately. Might be wrong but we just can't afford to give away any more games.

The early season games we should've won where we outplayed the opponent and still lost are going to bite us so bad if we keep piling them up. They say fortune favours the bold, this is the moment in time the Flames should decide.

It's going to happen eventually if we can send Smith to the minors and both Rittch & the back-up play worse than Smith we can bring him back anyways. There has to be a goalie in Europe or Russia that could put up .910, I'd take .900 at this point.

The Flames make a bad play then Smith folds, he lets the high danger opportunities rattle him. Goalies need to be able to backup their team when they make a stupid play, like Rittich did so well tonight.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
If last night does not make Rittich the clear #1 I am not sure what does. Smith will be the backup through this season unless they can find a "injury".

Reactions: Rockmorton

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Peter's choices

Player #1: Made several difficult saves to keep the team in the game. Won key games.
Player#2: Continuously allowed softies at the critical times. Lost several games on his own.

Seem easy but who knows...

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Smith is done like dinner as Tiger used to say. He's just not getting any better as the season goes on. I think he's finished as an NHL goalie. I think he should be assigned to the Stockton Heat. The Flames need a backup goalie that they can trust. Smith isn't that goalie.

The question is however, who can the Flames trust in a backup position for the remainder of the season. They recalled Jon Gillies but I trust him about as much as I trust Smith. He's had a very Smith like season playing for the Heat this year.
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

What do you think? Continue with Smith for the rest of the season? Give Gillies a shot? Or call up Parsons who played spectacularly for the Flames in the preseason? All I know is that I don't think the Flames have a snowballs chance in hell with Smith in the net unless the Flames score 5 or more goals or limit shots on net to 20 or less.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think there's much hope for consistency like we saw early last year. I think he's going to be a guy that wins you a game one night and makes you tear your hair out the next. If we can upgrade him, great. If not, we'll just have to hope for the best.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If he wasn't 36, I would say yes based on his play from last season.

I don't think he's adapted well to the new equipment and his confidence is in the gutter. I remember him being a much more aggressive goalie, especially earlier in the season but now he sits on his goal line and flops around.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
To be honest I'd just as soon call up Parson's and give him a try. I really don't believe he's learning a lot in Stockton. Not sure whats going on there but it just seems like the longer that goalies play there the worse they get. Plus Stockton is just awful this year. All he's learning in Stockton is how to lose. Thats not a good environment for a 20 year old. Their D is just ugly. Stockton is in 29th place out of 31 teams when it comes to Goal Against with a 3.90 GAA.

This is all assuming that Treliving can't make a trade for a decent backup. Not sure whats available out there.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Up until tonight, yeah I think I did. He was unreal for the first half of last season but ever since that injury it's just been downhill.

I've got more faith in him turning around than I do Neal though. Just sucks that Brouwer was bought out just to sign another more expensive one.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
If you asked me a month ago, my answer would have been "yes". Sadly, I don't have that same confidence any longer.

That said, if he wins half the games he starts, he's really no better than most backups in the league so I guess where my bar is set right now.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
It’s hard to have faith in the guy. He seems to let in a lot of really soft goals.

It’s a mental game......and he has lost all confidence.

The fifth goal.....I could have stopped.

No confidence.....he’s done

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Smith is done. The worst player on the team by a comfortable margin, let's not sugarcoat this shit.

Absolutely not to any of our prospects, either. Gillies is not worth re-signing, and Parsons is too young as well as not good enough. We have to acquire a backup via trade sooner than later as an insurance policy and to drive BSD's price down in negotiation.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm not sure really. Last year he was almost unarguably one of our most important players. I think his time as a starter is probably coming to a close. I think though that if he can get out of his own head he be quite a serviceable backup for us the rest of the way.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Man I still remember how long it took for him to get his first win in the league. He was one of the worst goalies I'd ever seen here
It bothers me slightly to see all these former Flames goaltenders acting as serviceable backups. McElhinney and Brossoit look great on their respective teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad