Player Discussion Is Smith cooked? Edit: YEAH HE IS!

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Seriously, this team looked bad tonight, but smith really did a good job of ending this early. He's looked consistently poor in front of us and it doesn't look like it's a lack of effort, he just looks done. I'm calling it now, this game is the beginning of the transition to Rittich or someone else as a starter, because it's a disaster right now.

Reactions: Gumbyman2

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Seriously, this team looked bad tonight, but smith really did a good job of ending this early. He's looked consistently poor in front of us and it doesn't look like it's a lack of effort, he just looks done. I'm calling it now, this game is the beginning of the transition to Rittich or someone else as a starter, because it's a disaster right now.
He let in 1 bad goal. That doesn't end the game for a playoff team. Not even close. The team picked up from that goal, put more good shifts together, then allowed a PPG against on a good tip by Hornqvist. Again, a playoff team doesn't take that start and say "well, I guess this one's over, time to stop playing." A playoff team smells blood with the amount of chances they've created and how much pressure they've put the Penguins under. The Flames didn't do that, and haven't been doing that enough.

That said, they were doing a much better job of it up until the New York game. Even last game they didn't go away in the third. It's not like it's going to take something huge to roll back the clock to something that was just a couple weeks ago. Team just needs to wake up.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He let in 1 bad goal. That doesn't end the game for a playoff team. Not even close. The team picked up from that goal, put more good shifts together, then allowed a PPG against on a good tip by Hornqvist. Again, a playoff team doesn't take that start and say "well, I guess this one's over, time to stop playing." A playoff team smells blood with the amount of chances they've created and how much pressure they've put the Penguins under. The Flames didn't do that, and haven't been doing that enough.

That said, they were doing a much better job of it up until the New York game. Even last game they didn't go away in the third. It's not like it's going to take something huge to roll back the clock to something that was just a couple weeks ago. Team just needs to wake up.

I think it was more like 2 or 3, and only one that was really unsavable. He hasn't looked the same since that injury of his, and this isn't helping his case. Flames can't afford waiting 20-30 more games to let smith find his game again, as we will be long out of it by then.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think it was more like 2 or 3, and only one that was really unsavable. He hasn't looked the same since that injury of his, and this isn't helping his case. Flames can't afford waiting 20-30 more games to let smith find his game again, as we will be long out of it by then.
I think Smith gave up after the team did for sure. The fifth goal was weak-sauce, and the Kessel one he probably didn't try. But if your team is leaving loose pucks and loose players right in front of the net all night long without even really trying to fix the problem, it's normal for your motivation level to drop.

But in the important stages of the game before it got out of hand, it was really just the first one. The tip in was top of the crease. Zero time to react, and it found a hole right off his jock. The third one he made a good save, and somehow the defence played the 3-on-2 like it was a breakaway and let the guy have two uncontested shots point-blank. If you're blaming your goalie on that, you deserve to finish 31st. Fourth goal was a save, and a rebound that Backlund needs to go after. He blew the zone instead, neither of the defence went for it, and we allow Kessel to treat it like a penalty shot. It's just completely unacceptable play from our skaters.

If you're concerned about goaltending, you should be limiting chances, not the opposite.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
IMG_4644.jpg

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So I'm not sure if anyone else caught this, but the first shift last night resulted in an icing call. Smith went to retrieve the puck only to have the Penguin player also try and retrieve it. Smith had what I would call a minor freak out, and proceeded to fire the puck down the ice. This was like 10-15 seconds in. I'm wondering if he's in his own head right now, and its just snowballing.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
So I'm not sure if anyone else caught this, but the first shift last night resulted in an icing call. Smith went to retrieve the puck only to have the Penguin player also try and retrieve it. Smith had what I would call a minor freak out, and proceeded to fire the puck down the ice. This was like 10-15 seconds in. I'm wondering if he's in his own head right now, and its just snowballing.
I think his struggles have been exaggerated but I agree with the bolded. He could use a few games off to just reset. Rittich has been doing well, play him a few games and then give the reins back to Smith

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
So I have just listened to his presser from today... Apparently he had a good sleep AND he wouldn't review the tape, like it's behind us, case closed..

This, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of a wrong attitude.

Sit this plonker.

Reactions: Potty John

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Was saying Smith being cooked in reference to him living in Canada now?

Also I feel like Snowballing is becoming a new buzz word around here.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I started typing this post on break at work, then accidentally clicked a link and lost the whole thing:

I have a theory about the game last night, and I think it's both Smith's fault as well as not. I think the game spiraled out of control because Smith is nervous about losing his job.

Look, Mike is a guy who we know plays with a lot of emotion and intensity, right? So it would be plausible that it would go two ways - that it can be easy for him to get into his own head if things begin to go poorly and it can affect his play. I believe Smith is coming off of an injury, has admittedly not played well to start the season, and is worried about losing his job to a guy more than ten years his junior. Last night he was worrying about letting in goals early, which made it hard to focus on the game, which meant as he let in more goals, he began to lose more and more of his headspace.

I think past the first, the goals against weren't Smith's fault. I feel that Peters likely told the Flames that they couldn't win without taking risks they normally wouldn't, which resulted in them getting burned by the Pens and the game went out of their control. But I do believe that the first period was on Smith, and that he is in a pretty fragile state right now and might not be the best option for the Flames until the pressure is off.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
I said it in another thread, but he reminds me of Zach Fucale if he were drunk. Looks like he's lost the ability to follow the puck and just flops around randomly. Shot going high? Better lean forward, stick out both elbows and pray on the way down that the puck hits his outstretched form before his logo hits the ice. He's just guessing at this point.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Hoping to see Rittich get the majority of the starts here. As fun as the Colorado come back was, let's not sugarcoat the game in thinking Mike Smith wasn't atrocious and isn't a burnt turkey out there.

Rittich stops all those goals from going in sans the 4th goal.

Smith is a proud man and wants to be the #1 goalie and I have nothing against him as a person or anything, but his head doesn't seem right right now. He's fighting the puck, it looks like he has no confidence in himself, watching the games I have 0 confidence in him stopping even the easiest saves (like Soderberg's goal and to a lesser extent Kamenev's).

It's time the Flames tried Rittich more and if he falters we still have Smith to fall back on rather than another rookie goalie (like Gillies last year).

Reactions: Rockmorton

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Hoping to see Rittich get the majority of the starts here. As fun as the Colorado come back was, let's not sugarcoat the game in thinking Mike Smith wasn't atrocious and isn't a burnt turkey out there.

Rittich stops all those goals from going in sans the 4th goal.

Smith is a proud man and wants to be the #1 goalie and I have nothing against him as a person or anything, but his head doesn't seem right right now. He's fighting the puck, it looks like he has no confidence in himself, watching the games I have 0 confidence in him stopping even the easiest saves (like Soderberg's goal and to a lesser extent Kamenev's).

It's time the Flames tried Rittich more and if he falters we still have Smith to fall back on rather than another rookie goalie (like Gillies last year).

I understand why Peters wants to continue to give Smith starts, but it's becoming more and more dangerous and less excusable every time the wheels fall off. You just have to start playing Rittich as your number one. The best part is that if he flounders, Smith will have a fire under him to go and win his job back.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah I’m not worried about Smith long term. He clearly has no confidence. He will get it back at some point. And he played well in the third.

Rittich in the meantime.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
His struggles this season are the technical sort you can fix with a good goalie coach. Anyone remember how bad Jake Allen was a few years ago before Brodeur took over the goalie coach position, then Jake Allen went vezina mode and carried the Blues to a playoff series win? It's kinda like that.

Just gotta get Marty Brodeur to agree to work for us.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
In my opinion he has looked notably less mobile in the net this year. Hard to speculate as to why that might be, but I think it's one of the main causes of his drop off in play.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think the key for him will be a strong Rittich as that will give him rest and motivation.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Last night, he reminded me of Hiller. He just looked awfully small in net. His confidence is shot right now so it might be best if Rittich takes over for the next few games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad