Proposal: Which forward under 25 years old would your team trade for the Habs' 1st pick (Winipeg's) who will be between 24-27 + one of these defenders (Harris,

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It would need a significant upgrade on the D prospect (or Montreal 2025 1st instead of the Winnipeg's 2024), but the basis for a Sharangovich trade could be there.
Seriously ? The guy NJ wasn't even going to qualify ?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
It would need a significant upgrade on the D prospect (or Montreal 2025 1st instead of the Winnipeg's 2024), but the basis for a Sharangovich trade could be there.
And what has Sharangovich done to be worth.more than the Jets pick + Harris?

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Mtl would definitely not trade their their 2025 1st (wich will still be top 10 prob) for a player like Sharangovich

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
1) There are a lot of Habs fans, in total number.
2) The loudest are usually the most enthusiastic... as well as the least informed. That was me, 20 years ago.
3) We really do like Struble, I could really see him becoming a top-4 as Chiarot did..... but we have to keep in mind a guy like Chiarot was let go at something like 26 as a UFA, which strongly implies he didn't have first round value at the time.
Don't sell yourself short. You're still one of the least informed. :naughty::laugh::popcorn:

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
And what has Sharangovich done to be worth.more than the Jets pick + Harris?

Are we just going to pretend last season didn't happen? It's certainly a steep price, but Sharangovich is; a goal scorer, can play the wing or centre, a goodish possession player, and a high level penalty killer.

The combined chance that a late first or Harris turning into a player impactful as Sharangovich is probably less than 50%. The Flames have no urgency to move him as he could still fit into whatever retool/rebuild they're conducting.

Edit: My brain was confusing Sam and Jordan Harris, so the value is closer than I first estimated. Even then, I don't rate Jordan Harris particularly well.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Romanov and 98th overall went for 13th overall
Dach went for 13th and 66th overall
Newhook went for 31st and 37th overall (and an AHLer)

So I don't get why people are acting like ~25th overall and Harris/Struble is some laughable offer for a struggling young F with potential.
The problem is that the struggling forwards being suggested are being said no to by some Habs fans and the ones Habs fans are bringing up have more trade value or the team who has them aren't yet at the stage of giving up said player to get assets back.

Its a goldilocks situation and while there may be a player that's "just right" it's really really hard to find for this kind of deal.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I think the best offers they will get this time in a "Workshop for mistreated toys" deal is probably Kaliyev and Podkolzin. If those aren't to your liking then it's better to keep the pick.

Reactions: bernmeister

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
3) We really do like Struble, I could really see him becoming a top-4 as Chiarot did..... but we have to keep in mind a guy like Chiarot was let go at something like 26 as a UFA, which strongly implies he didn't have first round value at the time.
funny you reference CHiarot... a 4th round pick drafted in 2009, who didn't play a full NHL season until his D7 season. He was not "let go" at 26. At 28-29 he walked as a UFA, signing a contract at more than double his previous salary... then before the end of that contract, was traded for a 1st + :facepalm:

Strubble, a 2nd round pick in his D5 year, had a much better first NHL season and is playing at a level quite clearly establishing himself as an NHL regular at 22 years old. Teams don't trade away assets like that at a discount, there's no reason to believe the Habs would move Strubble for anything short of a late 1st value.

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
These aren't sexy pieces so the Habs shouldn't be expecting a sexy return.

Some people perceive these trades in the prism of "what is the maximum we can obtain for our players", which is kind of absurd.

If the Habs always sold their players at their best possible value, they could turn Kovacevic into McDavid by small steps, a bit like that guy who turned a paperclip into a house using only eBay

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kaliyev and Kakko would be on my radar for 24th and Struble/Harris/Barron

Yes, i know, Kakko is worth 4 1sts....:laugh:
Kakko is worth WAY more than a late 1st and a midlin at best D project
pls do not include
AGAIN FACTUALLY TRUE
KK
-- proved himself on kid line w/lesser version of LaF since upgraded/promoted
- plays well w/Cuylle
- those Ws need only a better pivot, smarter to add a C [hopefully returning Chytil] than sell low
- those 2 + Wennberg are not scoring much but are a monster possession line

KK is not a bust, and not such narrative for those trying to buy low = not acceptable

Impact player Matt Rempe
also no, for dif reasons

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No offer from Rs

OP is entitled to set parameters of post,
and not seeing a single one who is a fit I would deal

Have other prospects but not quite what OP is shooting for and would have to be multiple [like Sykora + BMB].

-------------

so far, Podz from 'nucks looks like best fit for both clubs

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
pls do not include
AGAIN FACTUALLY TRUE
KK
- plays well w/Cuylle
- those Ws need only a better pivot, smarter to add a C [hopefully returning Chytil] than sell low

KK is not a bust, and not such narrative for those trying to buy low = not acceptable

also no, for dif reasons
Kakko can be signed to an offer sheet 4 million per compensation 2025 second round pick.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Av's fan here. We gave you Newhook. Now we have zero roster forwards under 25 lol. Actually zero roster players altogether.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
pls do not include
AGAIN FACTUALLY TRUE
KK
- plays well w/Cuylle

also no, for dif reasons
Not acceptable....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

19 points in 61 games is a BUST.

A trade will only help him revive his career.

Reactions: viceroy

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I would love Farabee. If he could be had for Jets pick ++ I would jump on it. I would be very comfortable with a return that is slightly better than Newhook

Like.. Newhook?

I just think that the ++ in addition to the Jets later 1st round pick would have to be a real doozy. Farabee isn't some kind of stalled out filler looking for a more defined role like Newhook was.

He's a barely 24 year old 50Pt+ Top-6 Winger that's still trending upward...and locked up to a bunch of years of a really solid value contract. Plus, an exceptionally strong 5v5 producer. He was ~Top-80ish in the entire league for 5v5 Points last year, and at the doorstep of Top-70 among Forwards. That's bona fide first line caliber even strength performance. Guys around that same ballpark or behind him are like...Buchnevich, Fiala, Giroux, Connor, Kreider, et al.

So whatever that ++ is, it would need to hurt. Might even be worth more than the Jets 1st round pick tbh.

Of course, who knows if Dany Briere really knows/appreciates what he has there. Always a chance he does something stupid and trades a gem like Farabee for less than he's worth. But i certainly wouldn't count on it. He seems to mostly have his head screwed on straight as a GM. And Farabee very much still fits with the age group of their rebuild.

Morgan Frost is closer to that sort of Newhook/Dach type category imo. Though even then, he had a little bit of a "breakthrough" season. Just a matter of whether Briere thinks that's an opportunity to "sell high" on him or not.

Reactions: Nevins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad