Is Ryan Getzlaf a Future Hall of Famer?

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I'll slap on my rose tinted glasses. Yes, he gets in. People tend to forget that it's not just NHL play that gets taken into consideration.

2x Olympic gold
U18 IIHF gold
World cup gold
Stanley Cup
above PPG in international play
almost PPG in NHL play
3x all star
will likely end up being the Ducks all time point leader, assists, playoff points, playoff assists, playoff games played possibly games played.

The guy is a stud for Anaheim, and even in his down years he ended up doing work.

Reactions: Rec T and Volica

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
To me, Ryan Getzlaf lines up well with the baseline that the Hall has always accepted. He's kinda at the lower end of "legit" Hall of Fame player in my eyes, but legit nonetheless. A consistent #1 centre who elevates his teammates and plays a heavy 200-foot game.

You wouldn't confuse him with the truly all-time great players of his generation (Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc), but he's obviously a better player than the really low end of existing inductions that were secondary pieces for most of their career (Andreychuk, Duff, Gillies, etc). But the point is not that he's better than the aforementioned guys who shouldn't be there. What I mean to say is that as a player, he fits in fine in my eyes with guys like Modano, Sundin, Recchi, Robitaille, Lafontaine, etc. Not all-time greats, but stars of their era.

Getzlaf's career numbers don't do justice to how good a player he's been IMO. A much better player than Corey Perry, who a lot of people seem to think has a HOF resume.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Outside chance???

By the time he retires he will have the following:

• 1,000+ games
  • approx 1,000 pts (120 pts in 125 playoff games)
  • Two Olympic gold medals
  • World Cup gold medal
  • One gold, one silver World Junior medal
  • One U18 gold medal
  • Stanley Cup
He is a lock!

I don't think it bodes well for a player when the majority of reasons why he should be in the Hall of Fame are team accomplishments

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Is Eric Staal a HOFer?

1118 GP
408 G
941 P
1 Stanley Cup
1 Olympic Gold
1 WC Gold
1 WC Silver
1x 2nd team All-Star
0 individual awards (1x top 5 in voting for an individual award (Hart))

Resume looks pretty damn similar to Getzlaf's, but I don't think I've ever seen a single person suggest Staal should be inducted into the HHOF.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'll slap on my rose tinted glasses. Yes, he gets in. People tend to forget that it's not just NHL play that gets taken into consideration.

2x Olympic gold
U18 IIHF gold
World cup gold
Stanley Cup
almost PPG in NHL play
3x all star
will likely end up being the Ducks all time point leader, assists, playoff points, playoff assists, playoff games played possibly games played.

The guy is a stud for Anaheim, and even in his down years he ended up doing work.

Everyone forgets that it's not just NHL stats that get you the nod.
The guy's had a long international career with tremendous success. It's too bad about his injury history, because I think it'd be a no brainer otherwise.

It also doesn't help he plays in Anaheim, 80% of this board is sleeping by the time he starts his home games.

Reactions: Getz2perry

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

2x Olympic gold
U18 IIHF gold
World cup gold
Stanley Cup
almost PPG in NHL play
3x all star

Honestly he was one of if not the best player on team Canada for those two Olympic golds as well. Always one of the top players in best on best tournaments but consistently gets looked over in favor of the bigger names like Crosby

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
The big wild-card is how the HoF adjusts to the dead puck era. We're just now getting to the point of eligible players who never played in the higher-scoring early 90's. Compared to many of the recent forwards inducted, Getzlaf's numbers are going to look pretty low. You'd think the HoF could account for era, but inductions like Phil Housley paint a different picture. Sometimes it appears to be a pure numbers game for voters.

Add to that the fact that Anaheim is a non-traditional hockey market, and Getzlaf might find himself on the outside looking in. A lot will probably depend upon who his direct competition is for the first few years of eligibility.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If he played in a bigger market this wouldn't even be a question. One of the most underrated players of his generation.
Since entering the league in ‘05-06 he’s 4th in total assists and 7th in total points in the league playing the 21st most GPfor forwards, 4th/4th in the playoffs with the 12th most GP for forwards. Pretty good for a guy who’s never been top 5 at his position.

Reactions: FVM and Paul4587

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Since entering the league in ‘05-06 he’s 4th in total assists and 7th in total points in the league playing the 21st most GPfor forwards, 4th/4th in the playoffs with the 12th most GP for forwards. Pretty good for a guy who’s never been top 5 at his position.
See the post below yours as why these takes are so bad. Just completely uninformed. If he played in Toronto he would be revered league-wide. If he played for Chicago instead of towes he'd have statues erected. Such a shame.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
also has more than half of his career (7 seasons out of 13) where he finished top 10 in assists.

I think he could get in, but I think lack of individual hardware is either gonna cost him or make him wait for a long, long time.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Yes he will be. Incredibly underrated centerman who gets it done everywhere. The Ducks don't have near the amount of success they have in the last decade plus without him.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Lot's of fans get caught sleeping on Getzlaf. Utterly dominant on ice presence, tons of scoring and seems to push his team into the second round every year.

He's not on the "Ovie, Crosby, Malkin" level, but I do think he's really close.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Indicator of what? Hall worthiness? Getzlaf has eight seasons of 50+ assists, I'd say that's a pretty damn good indicator as well. Context matters.
But putting up multiple pathetic seasons of less then 15 goals outweighs that big time. He's a solid player but not hof material not even close

Khrox

May 31, 2018
He'll get in. Probably not the first year or two he's eligible. But I can see year 3-5 for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad