Is Puljujarvi a bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I find that hard to believe. He's looked like a guy who belongs in the top 6 on most nights this season and has consistently been a driver (more so than RNH on the top line). The points weren't coming despite him being the best player on his line consistently in the bottom 6 before his promotion, but as he's started to score and his confidence has grown he has been very good just about every night. The points are going to keep coming if he keeps playing like he has been (as they have in the past 10 games or so), so keep an eye out.

I will for sure. I want to see the kid do well. I am just skeptical from before, that's all.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
A few adjustments away from being at least a full time Top 9 nhler at his absolute basement. Love his upside. Would love to see what he could do alongside KK on Habs third line

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree with you he's shown some IQ in defensive play and finding some soft spots in the Ozone, but that goal tonight is more on the Flames standing doing nothing than JP actually finding the soft spot. Just attrocious by the Flames but they all count.

And I'd say with his skill set, calling him a middle six winger is a compliment, I just don't like his puck skills/stickhandling. He can play up top with the big boys Edmonton has but he's not near as effective in a top line role where he has to carry any of the weight. I'm a Stars fan... throw him on the top line there and it's not nearly as successful. But cudos to him he's earned his chance to play up the line up and should prove to be a much better option than Kassian up there.
Only thing I disagree on is his puck skills. They are night and day better than his first NHL stint, and as the games have passed and his confidence has grown you rarely see him mishandle pucks anymore. Does he have an elite set of hands? No, but he controls the puck as well as most power forwards in the league and thats kind of where his game is heading.

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Just proving how using the "I talked to Oilers fans and they all said this" means nothing.

Was literally using it as a reference when discussing a player.

I am not going to get into it with you or anybody on here, this is a place we discuss players and not to argue because someone is butthurt.

Enjoy the season.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
He makes really fun faces, reminds me a lot of Daniel Tosh. Haven't really watched him play other than game hilights where he still looks very awkward and clumsy. I do hope the best for the kid, though, would be nice to see him take a permanent top 6 spot with appropriate production.

kooma 13

Mar 15, 2014
I am surprised how well Jesse has been doing.
He played in finnish liiga this season before he came to nhl and to be honest he was pretty bad for somebody who was supposed to be in nhl.

Good for Jesse

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I think the biggest factor is that he is now able to keep up with McDavid. So with a playmaker like that, you're bound to reach your own peak provided you can keep it together yourself. The first time around, he was not ready mentally (unsure if he is allowed to play, or even in NHL, scared of board battles), physically (hips), nor developmentally (English skills made him miss plays/tactics, clumsiness, fumbling pucks, etc).

Last edited:

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
So, I guess some people saw a gif of JP eating pizza, and are now confusing that with analysis of his game. Prejudicial claims of "low IQ" aside, he's been the best Oiler on a few occasions this season, which is no small feat on a team with McDavid and Draisaitl.

He's grown into the massive frame, and is using his size with confidence (5th on the team in hits), and I suspect that improving his English is allowing him to pick up the systems much better. He's been great at watching for teammates in order to make a smart play with the puck rather than try to rush the puck with no support or pass it into traffic for a giveaway.

RNH has struggled this year with some poor reads and passes, and JP has actually been bailing him out since moving up to the top line.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Maybe a disappointment given that he was seen as having legitimate star potential, but if he turns out to be a 50-60 point power forward next to McDavid, I don't think Edmonton will be too unhappy.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
It's all relative isn't it. If he has an NHL career as a regular, he's not a bust in the sense he got drafted and made it to the show.

I think if he doesn't become a top 6 forward who impacts games regularly, you'd say he underachieved.

For me a bust is when someone doesn't make it at all.

Reactions: hirawl and Leksand

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I feel this like thread isn’t focusing on the fact that his previous NHL experience involved no hips.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, 8 points in 18 games playing with McDavid. I guess he might be able to outscore Pat Maroon or Zack Kassian while next to McDavid, so that's better than nothing I guess. If Dubois ends up being a problem player, he could end up looking a bit better for his draft class, however, but I doubt he'll ever be worth his 3rd overall pick.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
What are the chances he turns out better than Laine 10 years post draft?

guy might be on one of the biggest redemption tours in recent memory

his points don’t actually do his play justice. His underlying numbers are amazing. Below is only one of many examples

These are strong stats, but I am more interested in the GA /w and GA /without, even tho I realize certain nationalities primary love is in their offensive stats...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad