Is Puljujarvi a bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah I'd pump the brakes too. This is the first season he has even looked like an NHLer. Still lots of things he need to develop before becoming a truly high-end player and coming close to meeting draft day expectations. He's on pace for 36 points over an 82 game season right now.
So he scored 12 goals in 65 games without looking like a NHLer?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
See those brakes... I would pump them. If he played a full 82 game season his numbers projected would be what many 4th liners get.

He could "arrive" but he has a long long way to go.
Many fourth liners are producing 36 points?
166 forwards scored 36 points 2 years ago when there was a full season.

Thats low end 2nd line, high end 3rd line production.

Reactions: RorschachWJK

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Talent is Talent, coaches can help them flourish or destroy their careers. The old mantra of beatings will continue til morale improves is not accepted by anyone born after 1990 and rightfully so and yet dinosaurs are still employed in the old boys club.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Many fourth liners are producing 36 points?

Many can yes.

You can't actually believe he has arrived and is ready to be a star?

He barely has any hockey IQ (not saying he cannot improve) and up until literally right now (microscopic sample size) he has never produced.

Maybe he turns it around and I will whole heartedly be happy for the kid, but he has not "arrived"

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Many can yes.

He barely has any hockey IQ (not saying he cannot improve) and up until literally right now (microscopic sample size) he has never produced.

Maybe he turns it around and I will whole heartedly be happy for the kid, but he has not "arrived"
I'm not saying he arrived, I'm calling out your factually incorrect statement.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Many can yes.

The bolded is such a false statement. He's going to the right places on the ice consistently, he's played a very strong defensive game, and he's showed off his vision on several occasions. I really wish people wouldn't try to push these narratives when they're so obviously false.

No, he's not a star player right now, but he's well on his way to becoming an established top 6 winger by season's end.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I'm not saying he arrived, I'm calling out your factually incorrect statement.

I have seen many 4th liners get 8,9,10 goals and between 20-35 points over a season.

Is it the absolute norm, no, but it happens.

It does happen less in the cap era where you cannot load up 4 lines usually because of cost.

So he could potentially be a 3rd line player, is that better?

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
The bolded is such a false statement. He's going to the right places on the ice consistently, he's played a very strong defensive game, and he's showed off his vision on several occasions. I really wish people wouldn't try to push these narratives when they're so obviously false.

No, he's not a star player right now, but he's well on his way to becoming an established top 6 winger by season's end.

I will watch and witness his top 6 play.

He has not looked all that impressive (except for a small sample of games) and I watch a ton of games.

If I am wrong I will admit it fully.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
How so? Had he looked like an NHLer he'd have been a full-time player, but he never established himself as that.
He was a full time player for the one year, while looking like a NHLer and scoring 12 goals in the process.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Thanks for admitting you are wrong in a few weeks.

You hate JP. If he gets 60 pts a season it is a fluke. If he scores 3 goals next game, he got lucky bounces. Oh yeah. He is a by product of mcdavid. Lets see him do it with kassian and Haas. Everyone who hopes he fails will come up with bs.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

He has not looked all that impressive and I watch a ton of games (except for a small group of games)

I find that hard to believe. He's looked like a guy who belongs in the top 6 on most nights this season and has consistently been a driver (more so than RNH on the top line). The points weren't coming despite him being the best player on his line consistently in the bottom 6 before his promotion, but as he's started to score and his confidence has grown he has been very good just about every night. The points are going to keep coming if he keeps playing like he has been (as they have in the past 10 games or so), so keep an eye out.

Reactions: TopChedder

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

He has not looked all that impressive and I watch a ton of games (except for a small group of games)

I think you're wrong on this one, and I've been very skeptical of Jesse and this whole idea, but he is clicking on the 1st line very well.

He is a lot stronger now than he was 2 years ago, has great speed for a huge guy (6'4), and is surprising me with some good passing.

But I think the main thing with him was humbling himself, which not all young players want to do. He had to admit that he needed to play a more hard nosed type of game and wasn't going to be the finesse star player on his line, your job is to not carry the puck when you already have McDavid and Draisaitl. He needed to humble himself and work on his English too and he admitted all of that.

He's really taken that stuff to heart, whereas I think a player like Yakupov was pretty much saying "nope" to wanting to adjust any aspect of his game. So good for Jesse for having that attitude.

I think seeing Kailer Yamamoto last year burst into the Oilers top 6 and have a lot of success lit a bit of a fire under Jesse's ass. Kailer also had to learn to bring more to the table than just trying to be a point guy in his case it was a relentless forecheck and energy. I'm sure Jesse got an earful from his agent about "hey that could've been you".

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Thanks for admitting you are wrong in a few weeks.

You hate JP. If he gets 60 pts a season it is a fluke. If he scores 3 goals next game, he got lucky bounces. Oh yeah. He is a by product of mcdavid. Lets see him do it with kassian and Haas. Everyone who hopes he fails will come up with bs.

Do I want him to fail... no

Did I say I hope he fails....no

Did I say he can never be a player...no

All I said was he had not been an NHLer and has not been impressive outside a small sample of games.

How can this even be argued? Hell even oiler fans I talked to for years shat on this guy.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He was a full time player for the one year, while looking like a NHLer and scoring 12 goals in the process.

He was a 4th overall pick getting the treatment and leeway that those guys do since the club has so much invested in them. When you're a top pick it's "show us you can't play" and not "show us you can play", like it is for late round picks or undrafted guys.

Also I don't know what your definition of an NHLer is but for me it is someone that clearly belongs in the league. I don't consider a guy like Brandon Pirri an NHLer even though he scored 12 goals in 31 games (which is incredible by your standards) for Vegas in 18/19. He's a guy who bounces up and down between NHL/AHL (as well as between different clubs) and have some hot streaks where he scores a lot of goals but because he isn't an NHLer he is never able to cement a spot in the league no matter how much he scores in small sample sizes.

Reactions: Kalamazoo Wings

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep

I agree with you he's shown some IQ in defensive play and finding some soft spots in the Ozone, but that goal tonight is more on the Flames standing doing nothing than JP actually finding the soft spot. Just attrocious by the Flames but they all count.

And I'd say with his skill set, calling him a middle six winger is a compliment, I just don't like his puck skills/stickhandling. He can play up top with the big boys Edmonton has but he's not near as effective in a top line role where he has to carry any of the weight. I'm a Stars fan... throw him on the top line there and it's not nearly as successful. But cudos to him he's earned his chance to play up the line up and should prove to be a much better option than Kassian up there.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Do I want him to fail... no

Did I say I hope he fails....no

Did I say he can never be a player...no

All I said was he had not been an NHLer and has not been impressive outside a small sample of games.

How can this even be argued? Hell even oiler fans I talked to for years shat on this guy.
And leafs fans I talked to for years, say Matthews is better than McDavid.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I think you're wrong on this one, and I've been very skeptical of Jesse and this whole idea, but he is clicking on the 1st line very well.

He is a lot stronger now than he was 2 years ago, has great speed for a huge guy (6'4), and is surprising me with some good passing.

But I think the main thing with him was humbling himself, which not all young players want to do. He had to admit that he needed to play a more hard nosed type of game and wasn't going to be the finesse star player on his line, your job is to not carry the puck when you already have McDavid and Draisaitl. He needed to humble himself and work on his English too and he admitted all of that.

He's really taken that stuff to heart, whereas I think a player like Yakupov was pretty much saying "nope" to wanting to adjust any aspect of his game. So good for Jesse for having that attitude.

I think seeing Kailer Yamamoto last year burst into the Oilers top 6 and have a lot of success lit a bit of a fire under Jesse's ass. Kailer also had to learn to bring more to the table than just trying to be a point guy in his case it was a relentless forecheck and energy. I'm sure Jesse got an earful from his agent about "hey that could've been you".

This is fantastic answer.

Every other Oiler fan on here was ready to nail me to a cross for not saying he "arrived" and is awesome when he was absolutely not for a long time.

Thank you

Reactions: BakedYams
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad