Is Puljujarvi a bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Haven’t seen much of him this year but looking at the stats, what are people talking about? The way everyone’s talking about him I assumed he was at a PPG or better. His breakout season is 8pts in 18 games when he’s a couple months away from being 23?

Maybe you should watch him play then before you comment...
He began playing in the bottom six because the coach stubbornly played Kassian with McDavid. Pulju has had maybe 10 games with McDavid, took some time to gel with him in the beginning and was a bit snakebit. But he looked good during this time, fought his own battles etc. Now he has 5 goals in the past 8 games and looking like a pretty solid top 6 player.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Haven’t seen much of him this year but looking at the stats, what are people talking about? The way everyone’s talking about him I assumed he was at a PPG or better. His breakout season is 8pts in 18 games when he’s a couple months away from being 23?

5 goals in the last 7 games. He's started to put em up just recently but his overall performance has been fantastic, best xGF% on the whole team and all the signs both eye-test and stats indicate him being an ice-tilting player. Oilers haven't really had a guy who could be the long-term running mate for McDavid and produce well outside of Draisaitl who isn't the best option due to him being such a dominant player on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: RattsSSV

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He's been as good if not better than
Yamamoto.

Also this *should* have been his rookie year.

Just like Blake Wheeler when he was 22

He’s playing awesome two way hockey, he’s such a horse on the puck and very good defensively.

So happy for him, he’s got legitimate chemistry with McDavid.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Glad he's producing. Some player takes a longer time to adjust to the speed of the NHL. Remember seeing him in the WJC with Laine and thought he was a surefire NHL second-liner with the mix of speed and skills he had. How he's doing along the board and in the defensive zone ?
Very good, he's strong on the boards and puck and comes low in the zone/doesn't cheat for offense. He is also usually the first one on the forecheck.

He's looked great, definitely the Oilers' third best forward this year even if the scoresheet doesn't reflect that

Reactions: Revansky

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004

And proud owner of a new puppy! Looks so much more comfortable this time around... on and off the ice.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's already a legit top 6 winger if you've been watching, and he's only going to get better.

He's got the potential to become one of the top power forwards in the league.

I’ve said it long time but Pulju has looked like a kid who will hit his prime later, like at 25-> we are really going to see what Edmonton has in Pulju.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He's already a legit top 6 winger if you've been watching, and he's only going to get better.

He's got the potential to become one of the top power forwards in the league.

he’s just now starting to figure out that he is a very big, strong, fast, and skilled man.

If he ever develops a mean streak, look the f*** out.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Seems like a lot of people are judging him based on 2-3 years ago. I was really not a fan of him back then and thought he never had the puck skills to really do anything. This year he is way more comfortable with the puck and creates chances every game. He could be close to a point per game if he buried some of the opportunities he got earlier in the year. Would easily call him a top 4 forward on the team this year, maybe even at the #3 spot. Not sure who I’d put ahead of him

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
5 goals and 1 assist in his last 7 games. He'd been tilting ice for awhile but with no finish. Now he's finishing and still tilting ice. I hope it's not a heater and more a reward for bad luck to start the year. Agree with above, he was paired with Turris and history is showing that Turris is having an awful season (yes, I really liked the Turris signing and excited he was coming here but it's currently a gong show). He's also scored some key goals lately and his assist was gorgeous.

Time will tell if the first part of the season or is this part is the real JP but I'll take it. I have him at 5th best forward behind McD, Drai, RNH and Yam.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yes he's a bust when compared to where he was picked.
He's doing fine as a player growing into an NHLer now.

No need to add or disprove, these are the facts.
It's still too early to say if he's a bust based on where he was picked. These are the facts.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Blake Wheeler is a tremendous comparable. Took a few years but then turned into a stud PWF and great two way player

One thing underrated about JPs season is his defensive/two way ability. The reason his analytics look amazing is because defensively hes been good

Also no surprise that 97 is having his best defensive metrics of his career with JP

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
he’s just now starting to figure out that he is a very big, strong, fast, and skilled man.

If he ever develops a mean streak, look the f*** out.

He’s utterly dominant on the puck on the forecheck. The analytics match the eye test, he drives possession. He’s a force along the wall and developing so much confidence with the puck.

He also back checks hard and hounds the puck defensively, he’s really strong defensively and has good defensive awareness. His analytics look great, and it’s because of how good he is defensively. It’s a big boost for McDavid as well having a strong winger like Pulju defensively and offensively.

He’s the perfect style of winger for McDavid. Pulju creates turnovers and most importantly chaotic situations. McDavid thrives under chaos when structure in the game breaks down. They look really good together on the ice.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Like I said after watching him play his first couple games in 2021 I liked his compete. He is hard on and off pucks. He’s using his size now to get involved in board battles. McDavid is a fabulous player, and it takes another good player to do well along side him. JP is another good player, so it’s working well.

Reactions: MessierII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad