Is Puljujarvi a bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The season is over, they are like 6 points away from last place. Why can't they just give the guy minutes. It doesn't matter if they win or lose at this point.

It's been done. It just compounds the issue though.

He thinks he's an offensive Malkin-eque player, so he continues to play to his weaknesses(east/west skating, puck handling, decision making) and seems to think he's skilled enough to ignore the things that should be his strengths(board play, shooting, two-way play).

He isn't a player who needs reps to develop. He just needs to miraculously accept that he doesn't have the skill or hockey sense to play the same way in the NHL as he did in juniors.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
It's been done. It just compounds the issue though.

He thinks he's an offensive Malkin-eque player, so he continues to play to his weaknesses(east/west skating, puck handling, decision making) and seems to think he's skilled enough to ignore the things that should be his strengths(board play, shooting, two-way play).

He isn't a player who needs reps to develop. He just needs to miraculously accept that he doesn't have the skill or hockey sense to play the same way in the NHL as he did in juniors.
Has it been done? Has he had a stretch of say 10 games in a row of 18 minutes with decent linemates?

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I keep reading people saying “his tools” but what “tools” does he have? I’ve watched him play and if anything his greatest tool is he does have a very good shot but he’s such an awkward skater and is prone to taking the odd stumble or crashing into team mates or the boards. His passing is average NHL and he does have size and strength but doesn’t really use it to his advantage maybe that’s the lack of hockey IQ? He has tools but not the kind you need to be a solid top 6 guy at least for now!

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Whats weird about me saying I said it here before it happens?

Well, there's a whole thread (this one) with people scattered about saying variants of what you said. All of whom have timestamps prior to yours.

Hell, I had a fair bet that you would have responded saying "yes, that was sarcasm".

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Well, there's a whole thread (this one) with people scattered about saying variants of what you said. All of whom have timestamps prior to yours.

Hell, I had a fair bet that you would have responded saying "yes, that was sarcasm".
Ah I see. I wasn't aware there were other posts repeating mine. OK, so I haven't said it first :laugh:. But he's going to strome the oilers.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He and his agent have publicly stated that he belongs in the NHL and they don't want him in the AHL, so that basically means the only position for him to succeed is in Europe.

He's just not a good NHLer and has no business being near the top 6 or PP. The Oilers #9D has more hockey sense and puck skill than he does.

He should be in the AHL developing rather than getting 11 mins a game. This does no good for any top 5 pick at the age of 20. He and his agent should look how his country man Rantanen benefitted from playing in the AHL and take this as a good lesson that there is nothing wrong with getting mins at the AHL refining his skill than riding the bench in the NHL at age 20.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Hes 20 and guys in here are already wondering if hes a bust. No hes not, could probably use a change of scenery though.
Slow day in here when people call young 20 year olds bust already. LOL
When I first saw Puljujarvi, I thought he looked like Olli Jokinen.
Jokinen, he was traded twice early on (LA drafted him, Islanders traded him (I believe)). Drafted 3rd overall.. started being an offensive threat at 23. His seasons points total before, going from 1998 to 2002 were, 21p / 21p / 16p / 29p points a year.

I don't usually like players being compared and I do not mean that Puljujarvi will develop the same way as Jokinen.
I don't know if he'll be a late bloomer, but I believe these days, it's much more difficult for one to bloom because the league is about bringing "teenagers" in because they're cheaper for the salary cap. anyway.................................

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Everyone in Finland except his fanboys knew that his style doesn't suit the NHL. He is dumb as a rock, has none IQ, hockey or otherwise. He might make it in some other league but in NHL never.
Unfortunately this elusive Mr Everyone wasn't here when the 2016 talk was heating up. We could have used him, to avoid unbearable national shame.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pulju is flying this year. And we’re just scratching the surface with him, so much potential still to be tapped. Kid is huge, fast, has a strong shot, can make plays, and is starting to build chemistry with McD. McD-Pulju has the potential to be real special. League should be prepared. Pulju has finally arrived.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I see progression but I also see a guy who looks like he has a ways to go to grow into that frame of his, which could really make him a fascinating player to watch in the next few years. Looks lanky teenager awkward out there rn. Puck skills aren't great really, but do they have to be to put up numbers with McD? At least he is finally looking like an NHLer. I'd tap the brakes on the "lookout he's arrived" commentary.

Reactions: Zaddy

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
What are the chances he turns out better than Laine 10 years post draft?

guy might be on one of the biggest redemption tours in recent memory

his points don’t actually do his play justice. His underlying numbers are amazing. Below is only one of many examples

To be honest after the world juniors I was a bit surprised people were praising Laine more.

Always felt he was extremely one dimensional, if not flashy.

Pulju was a more complete player so good to see him getting himself on track.

Was kinda hoping the Oil would dump him to Vancouver for Virtanen or similar. :DD

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I admit I was wrong about his chances.

I was sure he would never make it because his shot has been so poor, but along with playing nice hockey he even managed to fix that too.. Shot percentage of 11,4% is actually incredibly good considering where he has been in previous years.

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Can't remember who they had on the first line with McDavid and RNH early in the season, but putting him up there with them was probably the best coaching decision Tippet has made in a while. He wasn't producing much but was looking good and he saw that.

Edit: Oh yeah it was Kassian he replaced

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I see progression but I also see a guy who looks like he has a ways to go to grow into that frame of his, which could really make him a fascinating player to watch in the next few years. Looks lanky teenager awkward out there rn. Puck skills aren't great really, but do they have to be to put up numbers with McD? At least he is finally looking like an NHLer. I'd tap the brakes on the "lookout he's arrived" commentary.

Yeah I'd pump the brakes too. This is the first season he has even looked like an NHLer. Still lots of things he need to develop before becoming a truly high-end player and coming close to meeting draft day expectations. He's on pace for 36 points over an 82 game season right now.

Reactions: Kalamazoo Wings

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Pulju is flying this year. And we’re just scratching the surface with him, so much potential still to be tapped. Kid is huge, fast, has a strong shot, can make plays, and is starting to build chemistry with McD. McD-Pulju has the potential to be real special. League should be prepared. Pulju has finally arrived.

See those brakes... I would pump them. If he played a full 82 game season his numbers projected would be what many 4th liners get.

He could "arrive" but he has a long long way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad