Is Puljujarvi a bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
Well, 8 points in 18 games playing with McDavid. I guess he might be able to outscore Pat Maroon or Zack Kassian while next to McDavid, so that's better than nothing I guess. If Dubois ends up being a problem player, he could end up looking a bit better for his draft class, however, but I doubt he'll ever be worth his 3rd overall pick.

Thats why he was taken 4th overall, after Dubois

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well, 8 points in 18 games playing with McDavid. I guess he might be able to outscore Pat Maroon or Zack Kassian while next to McDavid, so that's better than nothing I guess. If Dubois ends up being a problem player, he could end up looking a bit better for his draft class, however, but I doubt he'll ever be worth his 3rd overall pick.
He was also a bit snake bitten at first, and spent time off the line. He's been getting better every game it seems. We likely haven't seen his peak yet either. He is very big, very fast, and very skilled. The only issue was between the ears, and that's where he's gaining comfort and confidence. I think a lot of the time a "low IQ" player is just one that just takes longer to adapt to the NHL, or has confidence issues.

Reactions: avsfan09

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Keep in mind he hasn't played 18 games on McDavid's line and was playing on the 3rd line with Kyle Turris who has been hot garbage. I think He's been on McDavid's line for ~12 games now and has 5 goals and 2 assists in that time.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Glad he's producing. Some player takes a longer time to adjust to the speed of the NHL. Remember seeing him in the WJC with Laine and thought he was a surefire NHL second-liner with the mix of speed and skills he had. How he's doing along the board and in the defensive zone ?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Keep in mind he hasn't played 18 games on McDavid's line and was playing on the 3rd line with Kyle Turris who has been hot garbage. I think He's been on McDavid's line for ~12 games now and has 5 goals and 2 assists in that time.
Okay that's fair enough. Turris indeed has been hot garbage.
Thats why he was taken 4th overall, after Dubois
Hmmm true. I also already knew that, so I wonder what my thought process with that one was. Oh well.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Glad he's producing. Some player takes a longer time to adjust to the speed of the NHL. Remember seeing him in the WJC with Laine and thought he was a surefire NHL second-liner with the mix of speed and skills he had. How he's doing along the board and in the defensive zone ?

Actually surprisingly well. He was always lost, and played like he was 5’4 in his first stint. Now he’s using his size to protect the puck, he’s thrown a couple solid hits, and he’s using his reach to disrupt plays. He’s no Bergeron obviously, but it’s looking like he could legitimately be a defensively responsible 30 goal scorer

Reactions: Revansky

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
You sound like you've kept up with the Oilers this year.

Try again.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Jesse is turning into a good power forward. He ain't going to dazzle people with slick hands too often, but he's learned that he can push people around with his size, he's learned how to be in positions to make things happen offensively and defensively with his reach. He has a heavy shot and can score with it and he is also good at just getting a stick on garbage around the net and getting the puck towards the goal line. He really is blossoming into a nice power forward. He's putting in the effort now where as the first go around he was trying to play the skill game.

He can be a real bruiser out there and is starting to play like it.

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I just feel happy for him. His first stint in NHL was unsuccesful, but somehow he collected himself and is back. I think he has gone through some serious learning process about himself. Good for him and Oilers.

Reactions: Dumais

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He hasn’t played 18 games with McDavid.

5 goals on the last 7 games and improves every linemates adv stats

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Haven’t seen much of him this year but looking at the stats, what are people talking about? The way everyone’s talking about him I assumed he was at a PPG or better. His breakout season is 8pts in 18 games when he’s a couple months away from being 23?

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I just feel happy for him. His first stint in NHL was unsuccesful, but somehow he collected himself and is back. I think he has gone through some serious learning process about himself. Good for him and Oilers.
A bit like what Olli Jokinen went through. But part of it can be blamed on coaching also.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah I'd pump the brakes too. This is the first season he has even looked like an NHLer. Still lots of things he need to develop before becoming a truly high-end player and coming close to meeting draft day expectations. He's on pace for 36 points over an 82 game season right now.

He played with Turris for half the season and he gets very little PP time.

I get the pump the brakes talk because it's a small sample size but only a biased poster would fail to see that he looks like a completely different player this season. Even when he was on the Turris line, he was doing a lot of good things but was snakebitten. His numbers don't tell the true story of how well he's playing.

Who knows if he will continue on the positive trajectory but it's fair to say that right now, he looks drastically improved. As is always the case with young players, consistency is the key but so far so good.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Haven’t seen much of him this year but looking at the stats, what are people talking about? The way everyone’s talking about him I assumed he was at a PPG or better. His breakout season is 8pts in 18 games when he’s a couple months away from being 23?

You could, I don’t know, read the thread. That might help you understand what people are “talking about”.

Reactions: Crabapple

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He played with Turris for half the season and he gets very little PP time.

I get the pump the brakes talk because it's a small sample size but only a biased poster would fail to see that he looks like a completely different player this season. Even when he was on the Turris line, he was doing a lot of good things but was snakebitten. His numbers don't tell the true story of how well he's playing.

Who knows if he will continue on the positive trajectory but it's fair to say that right now, he looks drastically improved. As is always the case with young players, consistency is the key but so far so good.

I don't know if the bolded was directed at me or not but I acknowledged that he's looking like an NHLer this season and didn't in seasons past = me saying that, yes, he does indeed look like a different player now. I am happy to see him develop and it's great for the organization if he can keep this up and be a useful player for the Oilers. I am however wary of this small sample size. He's been good, no doubt, but his puck skills are still iffy, even if definitely better now than before, but not sure they'll ever be good enough for him to be a reliable producer. I see him more as a 35-55 point player going forward, but I'd obviously be ecstatic if he proves me wrong and surpasses that in the future and becomes a consistent 60+ point player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't know if the bolded was directed at me or not but I acknowledged that he's looking like an NHLer this season and didn't in seasons past = me saying that, yes, he does indeed look like a different player now. I am happy to see him develop and it's great for the organization if he can keep this up and be a useful player for the Oilers. I am however wary of this small sample size. He's been good, no doubt, but his puck skills are still iffy, even if definitely better now than before, but not sure they'll ever be good enough for him to be a reliable producer. I see him more as a 35-55 point player going forward, but I'd obviously be ecstatic if he proves me wrong and surpasses that in the future and becomes a consistent 60+ point player.

I can agree with all of that but I wouldn't cap his potential either, he's just tapping into what he could potentially be. He's been flashing some of that high level skill ever since he scored his first goal which broke the dam. Confidence has been growing ever since.

I just thought you were minimizing his improvement by citing his season point production which needed a lot of context for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.
I didn't mean to imply that you specifically were biased against Puljujarvi, it was just a general statement.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He's been as good if not better than
Yamamoto.

Also this *should* have been his rookie year.

Just like Blake Wheeler when he was 22

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

He's been playing like a top six player all season and now the stats are starting to catch up.

Start watching. You'll change your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad