Is Puljujarvi a bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnrlDisarray

Nov 21, 2017
After 89 games played its safe to say he's been unimpressive. Even while playing with McDavid he couldn't produce. Is there still hope he will develop in to a solid winger or did Oilers waste their pick on Pulju?

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
he's 19 years old. give him at least 5 years as a pro before wondering if he's a bust. also, isn't he getting buried minutes wise? last i heard he was playing 3rd-4th line. hard to grow as a young player when you're playing 9 minutes a night. I don't think he was ready AT ALL his first season, either. There was NO REASON to have played him at all in the NHL that season let alone almost 30 games.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
After 89 games played its safe to say he's been unimpressive. Even while playing with McDavid he couldn't produce. Is there still hope he will develop in to a solid winger or did Oilers waste their pick on Pulju?

Yep, gonna fizzle out in the minors in 8 years. Maybe 12.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Too early to say.

He's not even 20 yet. 1/2 of the 2016 first round is still playing junior hockey

But any Oiler fan who says they aren't disappointed so far is either lying to you or to themselves. He's got plenty of time to figure it out. But there is plenty of reason to be concerned at this point with him.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Puljujarvi's biggest problem is his conditioning. Dude has looked completely gassed every time I've seen him play.

But I still think there's hope for Puljujarvi. He kind of reminds me a bit of Olli Jokinen in a way. Will be interesting to see were the Oilers trade him in the end. Seems like they've traded a lot with the Blues the last few years, so he might end up there next...

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Remember when drai was a bust too?
In all serious the kid has got some elite skill sets he just cant bust may or may not be a top 5 pick player but he wont completely bust out even if hes developing in edm(Yak)

Reactions: MikeyMike01

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Considering that many considered him on par with Laine, he's been a disappointment. His numbers aren't awful though and I've been generally impressed when I've seen him. At 20 years old and with the physical tools that he possesses, I find it hard to believe he's going to be phased out of the NHL when he's already scored 12 goals and 20 points in 61 games.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
his season is actually ok for a 20 year old, hes on a near 20 goal pace, way way way too early for the bust statement
19 year old*

He doesn't turn 20 until the season ends. Expectations were so high for him coming out of the draft, but he's still such a young player.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
You can’t call him a bust.... come on. I thought he would be much better especially playing with McDavid but there were questions on his hockey IQ before the draft. I give him another year or 2 at least before I start to get concerned. The oilers are a badly run organization, they should have left him in the minors and no need to bring him on to a sinking ship.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He kinda reminds me of a young Olli Jokinen, who was also bust material early on with the Kings and the Islanders. Big awkward players, but with tools and potential (scoring upside) if they could adapt in a given scoring role. Not exactly the same since Jokinen was a C and Puljujärvi is a W, but they also have the same type of Finnish meme face.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
ill take him off your hands with a high 2nd round pick

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I think he needs to get his head together. I could see him turning into a Blake Wheeler-type player in 3-4 years. I mean if the Oilers don't want him, I'm sure the Jets would gladly take him.
Ehlers for Puljujarvi and some picks could be a good gamble. Plus the Jets would probably be able to sign Puljujarvi quite cheap since he hasn't done much yet.

Reactions: ehhedler
Feb 24, 2017
he's 19 years old. give him at least 5 years as a pro before wondering if he's a bust. also, isn't he getting buried minutes wise? last i heard he was playing 3rd-4th line. hard to grow as a young player when you're playing 9 minutes a night. I don't think he was ready AT ALL his first season, either. There was NO REASON to have played him at all in the NHL that season let alone almost 30 games.
Does that 5 year thing only work for oilers? Wingers? Cause this site has slung shit at juolevi from moment 1.

Reactions: Kuola and Voight
Feb 24, 2017
Too early to say.

He's not even 20 yet. 1/2 of the 2016 first round is still playing junior hockey

But any Oiler fan who says they aren't disappointed so far is either lying to you or to themselves. He's got plenty of time to figure it out. But there is plenty of reason to be concerned at this point with him.
Do you think so? What was it oily fans said he would be to mcmuncher’s improved Gretzky? The new superkurri?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Does that 5 year thing only work for oilers? Wingers? Cause this site has slung **** at juolevi from moment 1.
[mod] Juolevi is way too young to write off or label as bust material, and he had a pretty solid first year as a professional.

Last edited by a moderator:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I agree wit OJo comparisons, although Olli was a young arrogant dick / ass, and it prevented him to figure things out and developing.

I think Pulju's problem is different but the same. Something with the hockey-IQ, language barrier, mentally not yet matured enough, lack of self-knowledge and holistic thinking.

Both had gone so far with pure talent and maybe size. But when it was time to really work to get to the next level, they just even couldn't / refused to understand what coaches are trying to teach. Also doubt that work ethic is/was yet anywhere near it should be.

Takes some time to figure everything out. Can be successful or not in the end.

Reactions: FVM and ehhedler
Feb 24, 2017
[mod] Juolevi is way too young to write off or label as bust material, and he had a pretty solid first year as a professional.
[mod]

Maybe it’s not wrong. This franchise truly does sometimes seem too stupid to even live. Like I’m talking breathe and walk simultaneously. Too stupid to remember breathe in breathe out. Heyyyyyyyyy we are last. f*** lafleur and Dionne baby, we wanna go 8-2 down the stretch. Or now. Hey baby, dahlin? Brandon Sutter finally steps up as leader- “f*** dahlin. We got enough in this room. Sam Gagner activate!”

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad