Is PK Subban the Norris Front-runner?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You're not the only one to believe a that he could sign for less money so the team stay competitive and sign other players. Patch sign for 4,5M for that reason. I see Subban signing for 5,75M for 6 years. Even with a Norris.

That ship sailed when the habs lowballed him and insisted on a bridge contract.

But if Subban feels incredibly generous and is willing to sign for 5,75M after a Norris (if he wins), then I think it would have to be 8 years.

dreamingofdrouin*

6 years 6.5 million or a bit less IMO. I don't think they'll pay him more than Price who is the highest paid player in Franchise HISTORY!

I think Subban would take a 6 year 6.25 million if it was offered. He just wants what is fair, from what he was saying during the contract dispute.

To be honest though, I could see him just taking a 7-8 deal at what Markov is making but maybe I put too much faith in his personality and attitude towards playing for MTL.

That being said, there could be some residual butthurt (which I doubt) and he could try and take them to the grinders for a 7+ contract. Doubt it though.

Agreed...they'll start with that...it would be nice if price goes on a tear here and wins the vezina so bergy can say, hey...this is a vezina goalie and he gets 6.5,,,,your a norris d-man so 6.5 is whats fair and not a penny more....but Im confident that we'll get him done for that or less either way though, bergy know's what he's doing...whatever he does it will be the right choice.

JesusBouillon

Jan 29, 2009
I will compare it because it is relevant. Yeah, Karlsson ACTUALLY did it but that doesn't mean Subban wouldn't/couldn't do it in an 82 game season.

If we wanna compare what Karlsson actually did and what PK is actually doing, then Karlsson had 31 points in his first 34 games last year. Subban currently has 34 points in 34 games this year... So I guess if we're going to talk in "actual facts" so to speak, you are watching Subban have the same season Karlsson had.

Karlsson was also 21 while PK is 23 this year. I think Karlsson will always be the best offensive player of the 2 while PK is a more well rounded player.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I will compare it because it is relevant. Yeah, Karlsson ACTUALLY did it but that doesn't mean Subban wouldn't/couldn't do it in an 82 game season.

If we wanna compare what Karlsson actually did and what PK is actually doing, then Karlsson had 31 points in his first 34 games last year. Subban currently has 34 points in 34 games this year... So I guess if we're going to talk in "actual facts" so to speak, you are watching Subban have the same season Karlsson had.

You didn't watch Karlsson last season then, I watch the sens a lot and Karlsson is unreal offensively. There is no knowing whether Subban will keep up his current production, which is the reason you said he's on pace for 82 points...who knows if he'd hit 82 points or not though the season is long and 40+ games can take a toll on a player towards the end of the season. Karlsson was dominant from start to finish last season, even games he did poorly in compared to the usual games, he still managed to have a good presence so that's saying something. He was amazing in both ends like Subban is right now but imo a step above PK.

Karlsson's defensive play is underrated and people claim he sucks at it, but if there's anyone I'd trade Subban for then it would be for Karlsson and I think that is a trade we might end up winning...but there's no telling how Karlsson will play after his injury. Right now I think Karlsson is better (mostly based on his last season + 14 games this season) but down the road its a wash, it can go either way.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
That ship sailed when the habs lowballed him and insisted on a bridge contract.

But if Subban feels incredibly generous and is willing to sign for 5,75M after a Norris (if he wins), then I think it would have to be 8 years.

No way in hell that it will happen. It will be a minimum of 6.5M$ per, he could very well have 8.5M$ anywhere else in the league but thank god he will be an RFA.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not sure why people are all wishing we'd win all those trophies....They do realize that it cost way more if we do right? Let them wins trophies when there are no contracts to renegotiate....

Geez, will this guy cost WAY more than it would have cost when he signed....

PricePkPatch*

So... NHL14 will be announced in 3 days. You think PK has a chance to make the cover? :naughty:

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
The fact that chara, beauchemin, and ekman larsson combine for 45% of the votes makes it very hard to take serious. It's a two horse race between suter and subban, and right now subban is looking like the winner, but that can change.

The "OTHER" at 17% is probably Phaneuf :sarcasm:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
PK is right in the thick of it, but the Norris seems to go to the older guys, usually, although last year Karlsson won it based on his insanr year for points...

Subban or Suter....

No matter what happens, Subban will cost us 6.0M+ for 7-8 yrs...get ready for it...

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
PK Subban has more points than anyone on the following rosters: BOS, CBJ, STL, MTL, BUFF, MINN, CAL, DAL, FLA, NSH & NJD.

And the rest of the rosters he would be either #2 or #3.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Receiving the Norris wouldn't lower his drive IMO. It would just make him hungrier for a second one. He's got that insane compete level.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Karlsson was also 21 while PK is 23 this year. I think Karlsson will always be the best offensive player of the 2 while PK is a more well rounded player.

Don't forget the fact that Karlsson had Spezza on his team.
Montreal doesn't have any players that come close to Spezza.
In fact this year, PK is doing while most of their "star" forwards aren't playing to their normal levels.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Don't forget the fact that Karlsson had Spezza on his team.
Montreal doesn't have any players that come close to Spezza.
In fact this year, PK is doing while most of their "star" forwards aren't playing to their normal levels.

Last night was a great example of this. Those were 2 very hard earned points for Subban. He would've had a couple points if Patches and DD could've done something with this setups in the first and second periods.

This is not to take anything away from Karlsson. He earned basically every single one of those 76 points. But when Karlsson makes a really good play, the person he makes that play to has a higher chance of doing something with it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So, out of curiousity, who is he referring to in a negative fashion? They? Is he pointing towards some people in the media?

Seems pretty obvious to me he is... I even asked one media member who retreated thus article if he felt targeted by the comments

Love his attitude... How anyone can doubt this players, really baffles me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad