Is PK Subban the Norris Front-runner?

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
I am sold on Subban to become elite in this league. I always was a Subban fan since his first call up but always though that he's a little 'overrated'. We love his swag and get carried away by his flashes. I was a little worried too that he'll be the scapegoat of Montreal media in no time because of his outspoken, out of the norm nature.

Last year he convinced me that he will be a number one defenseman, playing huge minutes and reliable but far from a future Norris candidate. A lot of glaring holes in his play and his slap shot was to send a statement to the refs around the nets..

This year, after the contract dispute, I was anxious to to see his response. A good season is the only way he will survive here. Oh boy...he steps it up.

The progression he made from year 1 is astonishing. This is a player on his draft day was labeled as weak defensive is now among the tops of the league. He's so calm with the puck and despite playing a lot of minutes and responsible for a huge part of habs offense, he barely makes mistake. It's a beauty to watch him take the pressure from opponents forecheck and simply skate away or make a simple pass or play to get the puck out of his zone. In my opinion, Subban is the main reason why habs defense rise from pretty mediocre to above average.

On the offense, he simplified his game and became a lot more dangerous. He took much better decision now when to rush or deke through opponents. His shot is quicker, on target. He's not yet elite on this department but I have no doubt he'll get there.

I was among fans who think Subban will never be as good as Markov in his prime but I changed my mind. Nothing is for sure, not saying he will be but he certainly has the potential. He certainly surprised a lot of people even his dearest fan. People says defenseman takes longer to peak, well if he progress at this rate, at his peak around 27-30, how good he'll be ?

My only wish now is Subban somehow can import the ability to run the power play from the General then, ladies and gentlemen, (in Pierre McGuire voice) we have a MONSTERRRR.

The downside of Subban is the way he plays the game, his swag create a lot of 'enemies' and he's the target physically in every game. Is it sustainable in a long career ? Will he get 'tired' at some points ? Lucic is an example of a public enemy who seems to run out of adrenaline pretty early...

There's only one defenseman in this league who will probably be better than Subban 5 years from now and it's Karlsson. I watch a lot of games this year (thanks to the cheaper center ice package) and I am convinced that Subban will be better than Letang and Doughty and Pietrangelo. OEL is another one with a huge upside.

The wonderful thing about Subban is that he gives you the feeling that he will step up to the next level no matter how good he is already (kinda Crosby). That gives him the node over the rest.

Here my hommer post :)

PS: by the way, this post don't take away any credibility of the General (my favorite habs). I also think that Subban benefits a lot from playing with Markov. Great players learn from great players.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
He is a front runner, possibly the favourite ,,, however I don't think he has too many fans in the media, a lot still have a perceived idea about him that he is a melodramatic flopper, an attention seeking hound,, they are wrong.

That is all.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
After hearing what the anti-Habs CBC crew had to say about him in the game against buffalo (just before he wired that slapper to the back of the net), it seems like word on the street is that he has matured in the eyes of all his haters. I really think the crowd that doesn't like him for all those nonsense reasons has thinned. You have to be a horrible analyst of the game of hockey to watch him this year and not think he is by far the best defenceman. I am blown away by JUST how good he is. It's the little things with him too, makes them seem so easy.

Forgedias

Oct 17, 2012
i think if MB was around the habs since PK joined, he would of never gave him that "bridge" deal and would of "gambled" on giving him a longer term contract, with more money, and we would of avoided a 7+ mil cap hit for 14/15. :( (pretty much the years i think we will be prime contenders, where cap space for depth will be highly useful)

Its these short sighted comments that annoy me alot. Look you can use hindsight for everything to justify an arguement but Montreal has insisted that their players after they are done with their first contract sign up on a two year bridge deal so they can continue to develop. If they develop as both the player and Organization hope he would then it is understood that he would be rewarded. Both Price and Paciocretty accepted bridge deals and look how it turned out. Both sides benifited from this.

The reason why the Canadiens Organization follow these principals is because they do not want players to slide backwards after a good season if they get rewarded after their entry level contract expires. The one good example is Tyler Myers who is getting 6million a year after one good season. They extended him after that season and look at this year now. He isn't worth that money. Young players don't know how to handle such high expectations and many of them end up becoming busts. Myers might not be a bust, but he has been very bad this year defensively and hasn't put up the points.

And lastly, NO organization worth their reputation should be signing young players to mega deals after their ELC is up. Edmonton was stupid and short sighted when they signed all their young players to mega deals. Those deals are going to come back and haunt them when they have to sign their other young players because now the player agents know that the Oilers will reward players after a good year and reward players even when they are still on their entry level contract which is even more stupid. You can't develop or build a team like that because every team lives in a cap envirnment. You HAVE to manage your cap wisely.

The two year bridge deals solves two problems for the Canadiens. It allows them to keep the young player at a smaller contract so they can further develop them. But more importantly it gives the organization time to work out the older deals they have with their veterans. Take alook at Andrei Markov's contract which is worth 5.75million. That contract doesn't expire until 2015. When does Subban's bridge contract expire? 2015. Montreal unlike Edmonton plans very carefully how they structure their contracts to meet their needs for the future. When Markov's contract expires, guess where his contract is going? Subban is going to be getting it. Plus Markov can be resigned to a smaller cap hitting contract if Montreal wants to or they can go younger since we have 3 young blue chip Dmen ready to make the club at that point.

Even if Subban were to be getting a 7million contract, he will be well worth this contract. He by that time will be a Norris winning defenseman. Does that mean we will have less money to spend on other players? Maybe, maybe not, we don't know what the future will hold, remember how ridiculous the cap was going up before the lock out. We don't know how much the cap will go up, but its safe to say it will be moving north after 2014. And let me point out that our cap projection for 2015 is looking good. We have alot of contracts openning up at that point. Contracts for players like Gionta and Markov will expire and we will have like 40million of cap space to spend. Under Marc Bergevin I don't think we will be seeing Cap destroying contracts for players like Gomez. If we spend anywhere close to that, it will be on a player like Subban and for me he is worth it. We might see Bergevin front load the contract and back dive it because you are allowed to have as much as a 50% difference from the top to bottom parts of the contract. Again 2015 is a year where we will have huge cap flexibilty.

Stop worrying about Subban's future contract and believe that this organization knows what they are doing. After all we had these same cries when Price was on his bridge contract.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't think its doing him a favor to put him in an official leadership role that involves a letter. He's a leader and should contribute to maintain the team concept, but his game is also about making ''unconventional'' choices/moves that turn out good, and taking risks night in night out. Im sure they want him to settle in even more, but not sure they want to take away the magic. not saying he's not a true leader, just saying im not sure it would help his game/the team ... if he's given a letter. of course his cockyness, even if toned down ... comes into play in my analysis.

I think it's a testament to his maturity and willingness to be part of the team that his cockiness has all but disappeared and he only talks in terms of the team. He's come a long way even from last year and he's turning into a leade on this team with his play and his attitude.

Minot saying take it away from Markov or Gorges but he should be a leading candidate when those two are no longer with the team.

Gorges
PK
Plex
Patches

Those would be my top 4 right now. Hopefully they let the team decide this time and not have management assign it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
i think if MB was around the habs since PK joined, he would of never gave him that "bridge" deal and would of "gambled" on giving him a longer term contract, with more money, and we would of avoided a 7+ mil cap hit for 14/15. :( (pretty much the years i think we will be prime contenders, where cap space for depth will be highly useful)

The bridge deal is a great thing. PK earning and making 7 mill a year is a great thing too.

We'll be able to bridge all our young players, because, if we made our Norris trophy winner take a bridge contract, well...you're gonna take one too.

Earn your money, get paid what you're worth not what your potential is.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
After hearing what the anti-Habs CBC crew had to say about him in the game against buffalo (just before he wired that slapper to the back of the net), it seems like word on the street is that he has matured in the eyes of all his haters. I really think the crowd that doesn't like him for all those nonsense reasons has thinned. You have to be a horrible analyst of the game of hockey to watch him this year and not think he is by far the best defenceman.I am blown away by JUST how good he is. It's the little things with him too, makes them seem so easy.

Exactly. He is the best without a doubt. He is creating higher standards for what a best defensemen of the NHL should be. He is one of his kind and we are lucky to have him in our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad