Is PK Subban the Norris Front-runner?

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
“It’s very easy now for people to speak positively about our team and about my situation because of the way we’ve played this season,†Subban told sportsnet.ca during a candid one-on-one conversation Thursday. “But I don’t forget the people that said that I’ll never play in a Habs jersey again or that I’m selfish or that I’m greedy or that I’m confused. I’m thinking I’m a lot better than what I actually am.

“I don’t forget those things, and maybe those comments and those people are the reason why we’re having such a great season this year.â€

The message has been consistent and clear: Beyond the success of the bleu, blanc et rouge, everything is secondary.

“I’m trying to be a leader for my team,†Subban explained. “I’m not trying to just be a good player, I’m trying to be a player that guys can rely on every night to step up and do the job and that guys know is going to be a professional and think about this team first.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/johnston-subban-burning-to-prove-em-wrong/
It wasn’t all that long ago that former coach Randy Cunneyworth slyly noted that it wasn’t enough for Subban to deke his way around an opponent once, so he often tried to do it twice.
:laugh:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Another massive improvement for PK this year is his shot accuracy. It's an absolute lazer beam and when he has room to unleash it he does and doesn't miss the net often.

The maturity factor that if he can't get the big boomer through, he calms it down, changes his angle and just gets a wrist shot through instead of wiring it into the shin pads or 8 feet wide. This kind of change is ultimately leading to a lot more PP points.

Habtchum*

Another massive improvement for PK this year is his shot accuracy. It's an absolute lazer beam and when he has room to unleash it he does and doesn't miss the net often.

The maturity factor that if he can't get the big boomer through, he calms it down, changes his angle and just gets a wrist shot through instead of wiring it into the shin pads or 8 feet wide. This kind of change is ultimately leading to a lot more PP points.

Maybe we should give a bit of credit to JJ Daigneault, too. PK is talented, no doubt, but JJ is showing him the way.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Maybe we should give a bit of credit to JJ Daigneault, too. PK is talented, no doubt, but JJ is showing him the way.

I give the whole coaching and management staff credit. It seems pretty obvious they've molded PK into a true professional. Everything he's said on camera and the way he carries himself is impressive.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The biggest evidence of his professionalism is his ridiculous learning curve. No one could progress that quickly without commiting to learn and improve. PK's been a great guy since day one. So, so happy to have met him while he played on the Bulldogs, the guy is a superstar.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Not to mention he's been also used a lot more since Diaz went down.

I agree that it's really stupid to make TOI the absolute factor. Actually, I find it even more impressive. The fact that PK missed camp and a handful of games at the beginning of the season and yet leads all Dmen in goals and pts, playing as dominantly as he has in both sides of the rink, is pretty darn impressive.

Diaz went down in Subbans 13th game. In Subbans 14th game (first game without Diaz) the habs beat the leafs, akthough 0 pp for the habs that game, so he played under 20 minutes. After that game, he is averaging 25 minutes a game.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto

I read somewhere that he stays after almost every practice and just takes shots for long periods of time

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
“It’s very easy now for people to speak positively about our team and about my situation because of the way we’ve played this season,†Subban told sportsnet.ca during a candid one-on-one conversation Thursday. “But I don’t forget the people that said that I’ll never play in a Habs jersey again or that I’m selfish or that I’m greedy or that I’m confused. I’m thinking I’m a lot better than what I actually am.

“I don’t forget those things, and maybe those comments and those people are the reason why we’re having such a great season this year.â€

The message has been consistent and clear: Beyond the success of the bleu, blanc et rouge, everything is secondary.

“I’m trying to be a leader for my team,†Subban explained. “I’m not trying to just be a good player, I’m trying to be a player that guys can rely on every night to step up and do the job and that guys know is going to be a professional and think about this team first.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/johnston-subban-burning-to-prove-em-wrong/

Oh snap, he been keepin' tabs.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

This also comes from playing for a better team.

When you know you'll get good passes from Markov, you can afford to be more patient because you know the one you want to unleash on might be the next pass Markov makes.

It's also a heck of a lot easier to get shots on net when other teams can't just cover you and call it a day. Now they have to watch what Markov is doing at all times.

Taking wrist shots on net is a lot more tempting when you know scrappy Gally or opportunistic Ryder will be there for the deflections.

Last year was an aberration. Put last year's Subban on a good team and he'd have had A LOT more points. Yeah Subban has improved this season, there are a lot of things he does better, but really a lot of it is the product of playing for a good team with good fundamentals.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I give the whole coaching and management staff credit. It seems pretty obvious they've molded PK into a true professional. Everything he's said on camera and the way he carries himself is impressive.

As much as I think the management group we have is doing a great job, I believe PK is just progressing as he has over the years. I believe most of his improvements come from himself.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I do think the voters are a bit wonky, but lets not pretend Suter has nothing working against him either. 1. If he finishes with +/- in the negative that will skew the voters perception as well and will outweigh any ice-time dilemma pk is foolishly getting criticized for and 2. If Minnesota misses the playoffs that will basically end the Ryan suters chances entirely. To me, PK is the front-runner, but a few things can happen to solidify it for him without question.

Edit, he could probably miss the rest of the season and still lead all dmen in points.

When was the last time a dman missed 13 games and led dman in scoring and all over 48 games, naw, it definitely his for the taken imo.

Last edited:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Jesus Christ. You guys act as if having a great young defenseman that's leading all blueliner's in points, goals and his own team in scoring is a bad thing. The kid has been a complete professional this year and he's a huge reason why the Habs have turned it around. Subban is amazing and having one of the best defensemen in the NHL is a luxury. He'll get his money and I hope he wins many Norris trophies and Stanley Cups wearing the Bleu Blanc et Rouge.

You seem to be reading the wrong thread, not one poster said having the best dman in the league is a bad thing. Try to keep up.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
More surprisingly, why is PK not considered a candidate for Captain or Assistant Captain?

He's showing his maturity, playing within the team concept is is always accountable for himself and the team. This guy has leader written all over him!

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
More surprisingly, why is PK not considered a candidate for Captain or Assistant Captain?

He's showing his maturity, playing within the team concept is is always accountable for himself and the team. This guy has leader written all over him!

You would have to be brain dead not to consider him for assistant next year. He's on a whole other level maturity wise this year wow. It reminds me of when Carey wizened up and had a vezina worthy season after the Halak trade.

PricePkPatch*

You would have to be brain dead not to consider him for assistant next year. He's on a whole other level maturity wise this year wow. It reminds me of when Carey wizened up and had a vezina worthy season after the Halak trade.

He should be considered for leadership role eventually, but only when spots will open up.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007

I don't think its doing him a favor to put him in an official leadership role that involves a letter. He's a leader and should contribute to maintain the team concept, but his game is also about making ''unconventional'' choices/moves that turn out good, and taking risks night in night out. Im sure they want him to settle in even more, but not sure they want to take away the magic. not saying he's not a true leader, just saying im not sure it would help his game/the team ... if he's given a letter. of course his cockyness, even if toned down ... comes into play in my analysis.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't think its doing him a favor to put him in an official leadership role that involves a letter. He's a leader and should contribute to maintain the team concept, but his game is also about making ''unconventional'' choices/moves that turn out good, and taking risks night in night out. Im sure they want him to settle in even more, but not sure they want to take away the magic. not saying he's not a true leader, just saying im not sure it would help his game/the team ... if he's given a letter. of course his cockyness, even if toned down ... comes into play in my analysis.

That "cockiness" that the rank and file see, actually can often be athletic genius at work. I believe he is the best athlete in the NHL.

Whether Subban's game vision or hockey IQ, as some like to put it, will catch up is uncertain. But at 24, I'll happily give him the benefit of the doubt.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
In the current moment, you damn better ****ing think he is. In his own end, PK Subban is TOPS in the league, especially compared to the point-producing Norris competition and Markov is showing him the ropes in how to be a truly deadly offensive force as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad