Is PK Subban the Norris Front-runner?

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
It's Pathetic to read some of the sens fan on the main boards.

- There should be an * beside this year winner
- They should not give the trophee

Bet they wouldn't be saying this if Karlsson was healthy and a candidate for the Norris right now :laugh:

I don't care if Subban wins it or not, I only care if he keeps playing like this next year, and for the years he'll be with us.

Individual awards to me is nice but the only trophy that I'll cry over is the Stanley Cup.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
BTW, the top +/= among NHL defenecmen? Sheldon Souray + 26.

This boggles my mind.

Dallas isn't a good team, he's old, not a lot of points... and having the season of his career.

When he scored nearly 30 goals and 60+ points he was -28, in contrast. :amazed:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's plausible but not likely. There are several plausible candidates and many factors go into a vote. However, I'd be outraged if the Norris trophy is awarded to an undeserving Zdeno Chara, for example.

You think that it's no likely he wins it? Hmmm... I have trouble seeing how anyone outside of Suter deserves it more

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
He should be , but he could always get Mike Green'd.

Playing with a Hart trophy level player takes alot of votes away. It opens the ice up and draws alot attention especially on the PP. Letang obviously loses alot of votes playing with Crosby and Malkin.

Habs have a decent forward line but certainly no stars yet. And PK leads the team in scoring.

Oh yeah in 84 Coffey didn't win Norris despite 40 goals and 126 points. Bourque had 96 and didn't win. Langway with 32 points won.

Last edited:

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Oh yeah in 84 Coffey didn't win Norris despite 40 goals and 126 points. Bourque had 96 and didn't win. Langway with 32 points won.

Coffey was a fourth forward playing in the position allotted to defenseman. Still though, incredible.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Ovechkin can't win the hart because he had no heart for the first 20 games

He'll be a candidate for it if the Caps and him keep going the way they are.

Caps have a rookie coach, they needed some time to adapt.

But obviously it's Ovechkin, so he's overweight, lazy, out of shape, russian and has no heart.

PricePkPatch*

You are saying that he's not on par with other Norris winners in the past because it's not a full schedule. Why should we hold that against him? It's not Subban that decided to cancel the season half-way through and run away with the trophy. The Norris is awarded to the best defenseman during said, season, period. There is no * as you imply and there won't be one. Every other defenseman has had the same amount of games to make a bid for it, and the competition is as stiff as ever, especially this year with a monster season from Suter. The only thing you can possibly make an argument for is the fact that Karlsson got injured, and even then, I don't think he was playing and better than Subban when healthy this year.

Absolutely not. I am saying this season is not on par with the other seasons. Subban is certainly on par with the other Norris winners/contenders, but THIS YEAR's awards are simply a bit less valid than a full season's.

Subban will most likely be nominated time and again in the years to come. The fact that his 1st real contention for the title happened on a half-season doesn't take it away from him. It's just that.. well, it's merely a half-season. That he completely dominated :yo:

PricePkPatch*

But that's just wrong. I mean, sure, dominating over 82 games is different than 48, no doubt about it. It's almost half the games.

However, it's not like PK is the only one playing that short season. Every other Dman in the NHL is going through it as well, and none of them are playing better than PK.
So who cares if 82 is different than 48? At the end of the day, today, PK is better than every other Dman in the NHL and that's all that matters.

Maybe PK would get injured at game #50, maybe he wouldn't. Maybe he'd keep up his pace and progression, maybe not. Completely irrelevant.

Which is why he'll deserve the Norris for this year. However, Norris 2013 will be "for 48 games" whereas Norris for 05-12 will be "for 82 games", which are a bit more impressive.

Again, it's not a notch on Subban's quality of play, nor quality as a player. It's a notch on THIS SEASON, and the fact that all awards will be a bit less weighty than they would be for a normal season.

Dutchess

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
It's Pathetic to read some of the sens fan on the main boards.

- There should be an * beside this year winner
- They should not give the trophee

That's a rivalry for you. Any reason to discount something a rival does, it'll happen. Fortunately, as a Sabres fan, no one disparages us because we suck so bad already. Which was supposed to be funny but just felt sad.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Which is why he'll deserve the Norris for this year. However, Norris 2013 will be "for 48 games" whereas Norris for 05-12 will be "for 82 games", which are a bit more impressive.

Again, it's not a notch on Subban's quality of play, nor quality as a player. It's a notch on THIS SEASON, and the fact that all awards will be a bit less weighty than they would be for a normal season.

I disagree on this idea. Sure, it might be a little tougher to win it in a full season, more time to go through ups and downs, more time for your team to struggle, more time for you to get injured.
However, this also means that in a short season, your opponents also have less time to go through ups and downs, less time to go through struggles, less time to get injured.

Essentially, it's very close. Sure, there's a slight difference, but I don't consider it to be more impressive in a full year.
Everybody is on the same playing field which is all that really matters to me.

PricePkPatch*

I disagree on this idea. Sure, it might be a little tougher to win it in a full season, more time to go through ups and downs, more time for your team to struggle, more time for you to get injured.
However, this also means that in a short season, your opponents also have less time to go through ups and downs, less time to go through struggles, less time to get injured.

Essentially, it's very close. Sure, there's a slight difference, but I don't consider it to be more impressive in a full year.

This is entirely subjective, sadly. The number of games played is not. You may be right, but there is no way to prove it.

Let's face it; there is the possibility that for some teams and some players, this year might be an anomaly. I doubt it's the case for the Habs, tho.

PricePkPatch*

48 games is simply not that different from 82 games.

It's 58%. That's a big difference.

Just think of the 2010-11 season, the difference in play between the first and the second half of the season for Subban alone.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Nobody talks about the 1995 trophies as less worthy than any other season, even though it was a shortened season too... I don't get why this year, people would feel the need to specify that it was a shortened season...

If Stamkos wins the Art Ross, no one would say he did it because of the shortened season (except for the Crosby injury, but injuries happen all the time in hockey...). If Lindros was the MVP in 1995, it's because he was the MVP during that season. Period.

I just... don't get it...

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Nobody talks about the 1995 trophies as less worthy than any other season, even though it was a shortened season too... I don't get why this year, people would feel the need to specify that it was a shortened season...

If Stamkos wins the Art Ross, no one would say he did it because of the shortened season (except for the Crosby injury, but injuries happen all the time in hockey...). If Lindros was the MVP in 1995, it's because he was the MVP during that season. Period.

I just... don't get it...

I agree, throphies aren't awarded to compare the best players from different seasons, they're given to honour the best player of THAT season.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
This is entirely subjective, sadly. The number of games played is not. You may be right, but there is no way to prove it.

Let's face it; there is the possibility that for some teams and some players, this year might be an anomaly. I doubt it's the case for the Habs, tho.

You don't seem to understand.

It's a shortened season for everyone, they are all on the same playing field. It isn't like we're taking 40 games of Subban playing like the best defenseman in the league and comparing it to others who have played well over an 82 span. We're not comparing goalies, everyone is playing the same number of games (unless injured). I couldn't care any less about the previous years, we're talking about this season.

Or how about this then. Let's just cancel the season, since every trophy is tarnished including the Stanley Cup. The playoffs will be extremely boring this year, since no one is going to want it. I hear most teams are uing this season as an exhebition for next year, when it really matters.

I agree, throphies aren't awarded to compare the best players from different seasons, they're given to honour the best player of THAT season.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
That's a rivalry for you. Any reason to discount something a rival does, it'll happen. Fortunately, as a Sabres fan, no one disparages us because we suck so bad already. Which was supposed to be funny but just felt sad.

This rivalry is as one-sided as they come. Sens fans desperately want to get some attention from other teams' fans like the Leafs, Habs and Bruins. Reality is; Habs fans, among others, don't give a rats ass about their team or their fans for what it's worth.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

Thing is, it's not like Subban is not fighting on equal ground. Yes, he'd win it after a 48 games season, that being said, all the other Ds out there had to dominate for as little as 48 games, not all 82 you usually play in a season. It's not like every d-men out there played 82 games, and the evaluation of PK's play was only for his first 48 games. They fight on equal ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad