Speculation: Is MB interested in Yakupov?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
First of all: Yakupov is not worth more than Bobby Ryan
Second of all: between any combination of McCarron, De La Rose, Crisp, Beaulieu, Fucale, Leblanc + any combination of Diaz, Bourque, Gorges, Desharnais, Gionta, Budaj + any combination of picks we can EASILY get Yakupov without hurting our organization much.

Bobby Ryan went for **** all: Silfverberg (2nd round pick, never PPG in his career), Noesen (late 1st round pick, also pretty middling (out for year with torn ligaments)), and a 1st round pick. That's nothing.

An equivalent would be Leblanc, Beaulieu and a first for Ryan but of course Bergevin wasn't an active enough GM this summer, he was too busy with Parros and Briere.

As for Yakupov, if the Oilers want NHL players we have Diaz and Bourque and possibly Gorges. If they want prospects we have a boatload, even a potentially top-end goalie.

Stop overrating Yakupov, I want him but he's not going to go for Pacioretty + Eller + My Mother + 1st round x2. No player in the league was traded for that much, not even Gretzky or Roy.

I like Ryan a lot but how is Silfverberg=Leblanc? Even as a total package I don't see it being equivalent. Not even close. I'd be jumping for joy if that's all we gave up.

I'd imagine they'd want gallagher+.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Tinordi or Beaulieu + Gorges or Bourque + a 1st round pick is my top offer for Yakupov.

If it's not enough so be it we could probably get a better and more proven player than him for that package.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Tinordi or Beaulieu + Gorges or Bourque + a 1st round pick is my top offer for Yakupov.

If it's not enough so be it we could probably get a better and more proven player than him for that package.

any deal with mtl is gonna start with tinordi + fucale imo, theres no way around it. the 3rd piece is up in the air

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Do you hate the Habs or something? This is a ridiculous proposal. Yakupov ain't worth half of that.

Bobby Ryan was moved because Anaheim had no cap room left. Edmonton has a lot of time to see how Yakupov develops, and they aren't going to let that investment of theirs walk for free. They will milk every last prospect out of any potential offer. Their thought process is most likely, "Oh, you want Yakupov, a potential ppg player for us for perhaps 7+ years and we just burned our lottery pick on him. We're giving him up, so we want some insurance to recoup that loss, so give us Pacioretty. Also, our defense sucks and we could use some dmen, Beaulieu and Tinordi seem good and we won't make the deal without you including one of them, preferably both. Your remaining team is middle of the road, and we know that out of the top 10, first round picks become more of a crapshoot, so two firsts".

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On one hand, I've been saying for a while that we need some starpower/firepower in our top 6, especially on the wings. Yakupov could be that player.

On the other hand, he's a headcase. His attitude is also questionable, and I simply don't know how he'd fit under a coach like Therrien and most of all, in a city like Montréal.

Also, he's Russian, and the KHL is always a concern when things doesn't go their way. Add to that the fact that the Oilers will ask a lot for a former 1st overall pick and I just don't see how a deal can be made considering the kind of pieces we'd be willing to give.

Good points. There's more to it than an asking price.

Since we'd have to give up major assets anyway, why not target a more established player.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
It's the Oilers so we never know, but I presume that they wouldn't want picks or prospects in return of Yakupov, they'd be looking for established players. The players that the Oilers would be interested in would be Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher. So I'd pass, I wouldn't trade any one of them straight up for Yakupov (except Pacioretty), they all fill huge needs for us. Yakupov, although would become the 2nd most talented forward, is soft. We'd have a forward group pretty similar to the Oilers right now.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
just give them fucale + gorges + tinordi or fucale + tinordi + non-core piece(even a 1st might do it). losing tinordi hurts alot but if we could land a 19 year old sniper then i wouldnt think twice about it. he would be the perfect complement to chuckie and gallagher

chuckie = playmaker but he can also finish
gallagher = shameless crease crasher
yak = sniper

yakupov is also a lefty

Edmonton is under no pressure to move Yakupov now. He is just in a cold streak. There is plenty of time for them to wait for the good Yakupov shows up.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
It's the Oilers so we never know, but I presume that they wouldn't want picks or prospects in return of Yakupov, they'd be looking for established players. The players that the Oilers would be interested in would be Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher. So I'd pass, I wouldn't trade any one of them straight up for Yakupov (except Pacioretty), they all fill huge needs for us. Yakupov, although would become the 2nd most talented forward, is soft. We'd have a forward group pretty similar to the Oilers right now.

if we were to get yakupov he would be the only "soft" player in our top 6(technically top 5). eller, galchenyuk, gallagher, pacioretty arent physically imposing but theyre not soft either. we would have room for 1+ player in our top 6, best case scenario would be to trade for a physically imposing player (or pray that mccaron pans out, which i dont see being too likely) for a plekanec package

Last edited:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Gorges, Budaj and a pick is enough. If the price is higher then it is not worth it.

lol.. that's a ridiculous proposal.

Why a 1st overall only worth an overpaid 4D, a back up and a pick?

Yakupov on a first line with a good center will give you 30 goals easily for the next 10-12 years. Yakupov doesn't look so good now because he's playing for a terrible team, that has no place for him on their top 6.

Once he will be traded and given the opportunity to play his game, he will be an excellent player. Like when Grabovski left the Habs.

Also, let me remind you that Yakupov scored 17 goals in his rookie season, that's more any of our players.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Edmonton is under no pressure to move Yakupov now. He is just in a cold streak. There is plenty of time for them to wait for the good Yakupov shows up.

larionov came out publically and said "yak wouldnt be against a trade", thats not a good sign. it creates distractions, how would you feel if one of your teammates basically came out and said that he didnt want to play on your team anymore? the only reason larionov made that statement was because he felt like eakins was miss-using yak(aka: yakupov cried to him about it). how do you think eakins' relationship is gonna be w/ yakupov after this?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
if we were to get yakupov he would be the only "soft" player in our top 6(technically top 5). eller, galchenyuk, gallagher, pacioretty arent physically imposing but theyre not soft either. we would have room for 1+ player in our top 6, best case scenario would be to trade for a physically imposing player (or pray that mccaron pans, which i dont see being too likely) for a plekanec package

These are good points however, you're missing a pretty important piece of the puzzle -

Yakupov isn't soft. He was quite physical in junior and has translated some of that to the NHL. With more confidence and maturity, I don't think he would have any issue being a physical player on our team. 5'11 and 190lbs right now is not undersized.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Gorges, Budaj and a pick is enough. If the price is higher then it is not worth it.

We'd probably have to add one of Tinordi or Beaulieu, which I'm perfectly fine with. They would surely ask for more than that, I'd add Leblanc and since they won't be happy with that answer with ''what about Bournival?'' since that guy's value will never be higher than it is right now.

Btw I'd be all for acquiring Yakupov, his level of pure talent and skill is similar or superior to Galchenyuk. Let that sink in for a minute. I'm not saying he's better than Galchenyuk, who is a much more complete player, but we can't just have two way forwards. A supremely talented winger certainly can't hurt. See Patrick Kane for instance, who Bergevin probably likes.

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=436440
"It would be a shame after 16 games he wasn't getting that kind of support. The kid needs a break, needs to be able to do his thing. He needs to play 18 minutes and get his power play time. The defence will come."

Larionov went so far as to say if the Oilers are unhappy with Yakupov, he'd be open to a trade. "We're willing to make a move. Any team," he told Craig Custance of ESPN.com. "That happens and that's part of life."

What a arrogance:shakehead:help: This is first time i ever heard that player agent is telling club and coach how they should give icetime for player. And player is only 19yrs old kid. This is blackmailing and total bullsh**.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=436440

What a arrogance:shakehead:help: This is first time i ever heard that player agent is telling club and coach how they should give icetime for player. And player is only 19yrs old kid. This is blackmailing and total bullsh**.

This should have been handled behind-the-scenes.

What's Larionov planning for an encore -- borrow a page from Putin and take his shirt off?

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
Would love to acquire Yakupov to play with Galchenyuk, they could definitely become a lethal combo for years.
I have no clue what Edmonton would want, but I don't think they'd want a project.I think they'd want a young NHL ready player (Gallagher) and probably a D prospect, either Beaulieu or Tinordi and possibly a draft pick.
At that point, I don't know if it's worth it considering the chemistry ( and friendship) Gally and Chucky already have.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Have you seen him play without the puck? He's atrocious. Have you seen his attitude since being reminded you have to earn your spot on the team? Pathetic. Dp we need another player like this on this team? I don't think so. We have the talent to score goals, bringing in a player like this doesn't make sense, we would have to give up pieces of our core.

Not worth the gamble in my mind. This team needs the players to give our kids the room to score.

Have you seen him play without the puck? Yes, he's below average and he's looking to score every time he has the puck. He's also 19 years old and he's going to learn a few things in the next couple of years about the NHL.

Have you seen his attitude since being reminded you have to earn your spot on the team? - It's all speculation. Oilers fans tend to think he's being mismanaged. Either way, I think it's better to judge a player with facts.

Dp we need another player like this on this team? - Who's the other one?

We have the talent to score goals - Montreal averages 2.67 goals per game (16th in the league) with the second best powerplay. I also think we have the talent to score goals, but Yapukov can't hurt. It's obvious we need more goal 5-on-5.

Yakupov is a special talent and the Canadiens could use a sniper like him, for sure.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Would love to acquire Yakupov to play with Galchenyuk, they could definitely become a lethal combo for years.
I have no clue what Edmonton would want, but I don't think they'd want a project.I think they'd want a young NHL ready player (Gallagher) and probably a D prospect, either Beaulieu or Tinordi and possibly a draft pick.
At that point, I don't know if it's worth it considering the chemistry ( and friendship) Gally and Chucky already have.

if thats wat they want then **** it, i honestly wouldnt trade gallagher for yakupov straight up. and i swear to god im being honest, when your going through a playoff grind you want players like gallagher on your team, not yak

thats not to say that yak doesnt have a role, every team needs high level scoring.. but when u see a player like gallagher kill himself on every shift that makes you want to fight for your teammates even more. it holds the team accountable for how they play

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
They want established players? Gorges and Moen plus Leblanc, and perhaps a flavouring draft pick. That's about all I'd spend on Yakupov... if I were to even go after him... which I wouldn't... so don't take the preceding offer as a "serious" one that would be expected to beat out other bids.

habsrock76

Sep 21, 2006
Ottawa
A lot of you guys are really over inflating his value.

They always say otherwise but he's got bolt to Russia when things don't go my way written all over him, especially with Larionov going public about his clients usage.

As mentioned before they are'nt looking for picks or prospects at this point...If I was Edmonton I'd be asking for Gallagher straight up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad