Speculation: Is MB interested in Yakupov?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
BrianWilde ‏@BWildeCTV 2m
Yakupov says something must be done, because Eakins doesn't trust him. Adds he's treated unfairly & wants to play more. #oilers

BrianWilde ‏@BWildeCTV 1m
Nail Yakupov says he has not asked for a trade from the Oilers but is listing other grievances to the media.

Wow.. that's a bit over the top.

After drafting 1st overall 3 consecutive years you'd think the Oilers organisation would know how to deal with 18-19 year olds...

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
It's not that difficult to score 17 goals in 48 games when you're shooting percentage is over 20%. Assuming his realistic shooting percentage is near Ovie level (12ish %), he would've scored 9-11 goals.

:laugh:

I've red a few times this argument over the boards in the last couple of weeks and I still find it dumb. If Yakupov had one more shot per game for the same 48 games, he would be around 14%. Goals are goals, no matter what.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
we simply don't have what it would take...even if we did is he really worth the risk? The guy doesn't like to work hard.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Eller - Yakupov

Bourque - Briere - Gionta

Moen - White/Bournival - Prust

next year:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

Bourque - Galchenyuk - Yakupov

Bournival - Eller - Briere

Moen - White - Prust

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Im guessing they'd want a very rich package.

one scenario:

Gorges
Collberg
1st round pick

Tinordi
Fucale

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
This kid reminds me of Alex Daigle. So i hit his wiki and....

Leading up to the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, Daigle was considered a "can't miss" prospect and NHL superstar-in-waiting.

The Senators were even accused of deliberately losing games late in the 1992–93 season, their first in the NHL, in order to guarantee the first overall selection and the right to draft him.

This prompted an investigation by the NHL, who soon implemented a draft lottery to prevent such things from happening again.

Kinda reminds me of today Oilers.

Daigle was selected first overall by the Senators, ahead of future superstars Chris Pronger and Paul Kariya, who were picked second and fourth, respectively.

He subsequently received the largest starting salary in league history (five-years, $12.25 million), leading to the introduction of a rookie salary cap a few years later.

Regarding his draft position, Daigle uttered the now infamous comment, "I'm glad I got drafted first, because no one remembers number two".

LOL all those changes made after Daigle was drafted.

And that comment....so stupid kinda like Yakupov 'i wont change my game' episode.

Daigle initially seemed destined to live up to the pre-draft hype, scoring 20 goals and 51 points in a rookie season in which he had little offensive support

Hi Nail.

Daigle was removed from a Senators' team flight on September 25, 1996. While chatting with a flight attendant during USAir Flight 1948 with the team, he leaned over to Trevor Timmins (then the Senators' Director Of Team Services) and said "Watch out for your bomb there" while motioning towards Timmons' laptop computer. Upon hearing Daigle's comment, the flight attendant notified the captain, who immediately contacted USAir ground control, and police were subsequently notified.

What Daigle didn't know was that then-U.S. President Bill Clinton was also on the Pittsburgh International Airport tarmac at the time, resulting in a heightened level of security.[4] Daigle was not prosecuted for the incident, but was fined $300 and was not allowed to board the attaching flight to Tampa with the rest of the team.[5]

lol cool story

During the 1997–98 season, after four and a half seasons, 74 goals and 172 points in 301 games played, Ottawa finally soured on Daigle and traded him to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for prospect Vaclav Prospal and another first-round bust, Pat Falloon.

we should wait and get him for cheap.

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
I'd say the contrary, the D is good, especially with Emelin back, we need goal scoring on forward.

Diaz and Gorges playing top4 minutes isnt good, wouldnt call our D ''good'' but ''not bad''. Lol...

ur both right... We need a top3/top4 Dman and also a top6 big winger who can score goals

the habs need many things....

We had the defenseman(McDonagh) but hey Gainey was probably taking drugs he thought Scott Gomez was Joe Thornton...fuccing idiot I hate him !!!:rant: :laugh: Imagine if we had McDonagh, Subban and Markov...that's the way it should be man... Bergevin had to move to pick Samuel Morin imo but he didnt, he can say he was ready to pay the price(Iknow the lil story) but imo he wasnt giving enough so he had nothing that's simple.

for the top 6 winger... Bergevin will have to move/draft with a high pick but I guess he will prefer re-sign Brian Gionta !

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure why you're so convinced Yakupov is a flop.

I didn't want it to come across that way. I think he may be a solid 20-25 goal guy, just don't see him as a dominant goal scorer. It seems he's already finding excuses to why he's hasn't buried the puck this season, but none of them seem to lead back to himself.

I may eat my words, I'm not wishing failure on him or anything. I just don't see many teams that will insert him into a featured role when his play away from the puck is well..pathetic. So where do you play him, and how often?

I do not consider him a 'special' talent. God I hope he doesn't turn out to be the next Stamkos or I'm suiciding this username forever :(

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I didn't want it to come across that way. I think he may be a solid 20-25 goal guy, just don't see him as a dominant goal scorer. It seems he's already finding excuses to why he's hasn't buried the puck this season, but none of them seem to lead back to himself.

I may eat my words, I'm not wishing failure on him or anything. I just don't see many teams that will insert him into a featured role when his play away from the puck is well..pathetic. So where do you play him, and how often?

I do not consider him a 'special' talent. God I hope he doesn't turn out to be the next Stamkos or I'm suiciding this username forever :(

I just think it's too early to put a cap on his potential. The Oilers are a crap fest. I mean really, it's an absolute zoo where their coach needs to take words from an opponent out of context to motivate his guys, and even then, it didn't work seeing how they only played well in the 3rd period.
I agree with Yakupov on some things, he isn't used properly in Edmonton. I don't put too much stock on not playing well without the puck, it's a skill he can learn with time and I think those words wouldn't have come out of his mouth had he been drafted on another team.
He might have been the only one to say it in Edmonton, but they have plenty of guys who don't play well without the puck, and at the end of the day he's there to score.
There's plenty of fowards in the NHL that are pretty bad without the puck.

You put him on a 2nd line with PP ice time, getting good opportunities versus 2nd tier opponents, and he'd be just fine. Or heck, I'm sure he'd be great on Plekanec's wing.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Im guessing they'd want a very rich package.

one scenario:

Gorges
Collberg
1st round pick

Id be lying if I said I wouldn't consider it... The price for Yakupov may not be that high anymore though. Struggling player + controversy + bad oilers management could end up being a steal for any team.

Last edited:

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
:laugh:

I've red a few times this argument over the boards in the last couple of weeks and I still find it dumb. If Yakupov had one more shot per game for the same 48 games, he would be around 14%. Goals are goals, no matter what.

It is about sustainable numbers.

Yak was also shooting 21.0% last season which was bound to come down. I think he is for sure better than his 6.5% shooting this season, but worth noting.

If Yak had shot around 13.5% (higher than most players, his 17 goals would have been 11 goals).

He was never going to shoot around 21% for his career.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I'd offer Pacioretty, Desharnais and Gorges.

About his shooting percentage, it also means Yakupov has a wicked shot.

Pacioretty is supposed to be a PF, yet plays a skill game, just like Yakupov, who's a much better goalscorer in perspective. Yakupov would blossom in Montréal. We roll 3 offensive lines anyway.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
As an aside, Eakins doesn't seem to be very good at trusting/developing young players. Last year he went with the vets in Toronto and young guys like Ross etc saw very little playing time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'd offer Pacioretty, Desharnais and Gorges.

About his shooting percentage, it also means Yakupov has a wicked shot.

Pacioretty is supposed to be a PF, yet plays a skill game, just like Yakupov, who's a much better goalscorer in perspective. Yakupov would blossom in Montréal. We roll 3 offensive lines anyway.
Why would they want Pacman + garbage?

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
WOW, did I just hear that?
Yak WANTS A TRADE? he wants OUT???

If true, is value just went WAY DOWN.
Oil fans that have been asking for the MOON should be thinking about suicide right about now.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
WOW, did I just hear that?
Yak WANTS A TRADE? he wants OUT???

If true, is value just went WAY DOWN.
Oil fans that have been asking for the MOON should be thinking about suicide right about now.

It doesn't always work like that.

Sure the mentality might be so, but there will be a bidding war for sure if he somehow becomes available.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
I voted no. Of course, it would be nice to have a good scoring forward (even a projected one). So in a way, he could be interested in acquiring Yak. But IMO, he doesn't seem to fit with the type of character players that MB wants to bring in Montreal, which I can understand in a way.

I have a question for people who know Yak better than I do (which is not hard), is he the kind of guy who wouldn't perform under pressure? Is he clutch? I know about his skillset, but I don't really know about that...

Last edited:

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
It is about sustainable numbers.

Yak was also shooting 21.0% last season which was bound to come down. I think he is for sure better than his 6.5% shooting this season, but worth noting.

If Yak had shot around 13.5% (higher than most players, his 17 goals would have been 11 goals).

He was never going to shoot around 21% for his career.

I understand but these advanced statistics are kind of random in explaining a player's performance or future performance. Like I said, if Yakupov has one more shot on goal per game last season, he shoots at 13,6% with 17 goals. What you're telling me is that this particular shot per game is making him a true ''17 goals'' scorer? Not sure...

It could also mean a lot of things... like he has a lethal shot, he needs to shoot more, etc.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
From what Ive seen from Games, Yakuov isnt an AK46,Kovalchuk or Ovechkin type of guy who will skate fast and shoot and score. He is more of a shoot & gun guy who plays well on powerplay by scoring on rebounds and nice passes. Im not really impressed by him, he lacks that little extra skill level that would make him an elite talent. However he does posses the skills to be a PPG guy. He is also on the small side.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
I understand but these advanced statistics are kind of random in explaining a player's performance or future performance. Like I said, if Yakupov has one more shot on goal per game last season, he shoots at 13,6% with 17 goals. What you're telling me is that this particular shot per game is making him a true ''17 goals'' scorer? Not sure...

It could also mean a lot of things... like he has a lethal shot, he needs to shoot more, etc.

81 shots + 1 shot per game (48)

129 / 17 goals = 13.6%

Yes, However he has to generate nearly 1/3 extra shots per game to sustain the same pace, over a 82 game season it is even harder. As you get up into higher shot totals it becomes harder and harder.

If he takes 300 shots at 21%

63 goals

If he takes 300 shots at 13.6%

41 goals

If he takes 300 shots at his current 6.5%

20 goals

As you are trying to reach higher goal totals, the amount of shots per game you need to generate to acheive his production increases.

425 shots @ 12% is 51 goals. That is a large number of shots and not easy to get, right now he has 31 shots in 17 games.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd stay far from a guy who's agent is openly criticizing the way he's being used and who explains how his protégé should be used.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Why would they want Pacman + garbage?

MacTavish might think getting a semi-vet 60 points underdog for free is a good idea. Hall playing with Pacioretty and Desharnais might do the trick, an even better combo than the Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole.

Gorges would be a good veteran to have in Edmonton. He could scream : "let's go boys", before every game :laugh:

I'm speculating, but I think you're right, Edmonton would most likely just want Pacioretty.

you have 0 draft picks in your offer too btw.

I wouldn't mind adding a draft pick or a prospect.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad