Speculation: Is MB interested in Yakupov?

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
His inability to play D would drive MT nuts. Similar to this:

fc8f6fcb523463de5b60ad3e618a8212.gif

:sarcasm:

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Galchenyuk aside, Yakupov would be a huge step going forward. The core of the team would be excellent and Bergevin would need to fill the roster with bigger players but talent would be there for sure.

I hope he'll see what the price is. Yakupov's value is probably the lowest it's gonna be in his career so there's that.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Actually, all kidding aside, Yak was dynamite with Chuckie in Sarnia. But now we realize where the energy was coming from on that line. I understand the interest in reuniting them because Chuckie's intensity and work ethic are contagious.

Halifaxhab*

Of course he'd call, any GM would, then quickly hang up when MacT asks for a crazy return.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He'll call for sure, but he likely won't pay the crazy price. Yak makes a lot of sense for Montreal. We need a Sniper, Yak has history with Chucky, Larianov knows Bergy through Chucky, PK went through similar criticisms and Montreal has a better veteran core to teach Yakupov.

Still, Character questions will likely rule him out.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
The Oilers won't be contenders for another 3-5 years. The prospects the Habs have to offer could be ready by that time. Guys like Tinordi and Fucale could be very valuable commodities to the Oilers. A potential franchise goaltender and shut-down defenseman with size and a physical edge would be excellent pieces to a package that would likely include a pick to go with it.

If I'm Bergevin though, I stay far, far away.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Every GM would be interested but I don't see him bothering to even call if Yakupov were really available. Getting him would cost too much and create other holes.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Montreal don't have the available assets to trade for him.

Yes we do.

Of course he'd call, any GM would, then quickly hang up when MacT asks for a crazy return.

I'm not so sure. He said he had 0 interest in Semin when he was a free agent, and the same goes for Jagr. But he targets a guy like Briere instead.
Fair to say nobody knows how Bergevin's mind works.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If we can trade some B prospects like Fucale, Beaulieu and possibly a roster player and get Yakupov that would be good. If they are asking for 1st overall pick level compensation no interest.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We need dmen, not forwards.

You don't pass up on an opportunity to land such a talented young player regardless of his position. It would be another thing if we'd have a bunch of solid forwards but that's not the case.
Gallagher and Galchenyuk are our only wingers with more than 10pts. Do I need to remind you Galchenyuk is a center?..Adding Yakupov would be great. It all depends on the cost.

Take a look at Yak's shift in the 3rd vs Florida with a 1 goal lead. 3 mistakes on the shift got him stapled to the bench for the last 8 minutes of the game.

If he's already disgruntled with Eakins, imagine what'll happen when Therrien calls him out in public. Larionov is supposedly unhappy with his usage because he's playing on the 3rd and 4th lines. Where would he play if he were a Hab? We've already learned that breaking up the kid line at this point is not a good idea. He can't play on Pleks line because he's a black hole defensively. So he'd be playing on the 3rd / 4th line here also.

You can't deny his talent, and the Habs can use a pure sniper like him. But at this point he just isn't a fit. And who knows how much he'd cost.

Which line to fit the #1 overall pick of 2012 isn't much of a problem.
He's being played for 10min lately in Edmonton. Fair to say he'll get better opportunities here. He's also coming into a new team, where youngsters aren't running the show. We have some good veteran presence here and I'm pretty sure any GM that lands him will have discussions with him/Larionov about buying into our system.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Seguin, Landeskog, Galchenyuk

:handclap:

Heh. Doubt Avs want to trade Landeskog. :P

As for Seguin, Dallas might want to trade him for other assets seeing as they're in rebuild. Though, I think he's the kind of player Dallas would want to keep and build around. It seems to be working as he and Benn are tearing it up.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
This team has a lot of character guys already. A good team has balance. I remember hearing Bergevin say this when he was hired. However, given what he's done so far (overemphasizing character and place of birth over talent), I would assume MB is not interested in Yakupov.

The team is lacking elite scoring talent. Yakupov would be the perfect winger to play with Galchenyuk, given their history in Sarnia, once he's ready to take over the 1C role. It would finally give the Habs a potent 1-2 punch for the next few years.

Yes, Yakupov has character issues, but we already have plenty of character guys, which means that we could afford to take the risk on Yakupov. First overall picks don't grow on trees, and as someone else has mentioned, this might be a great opportunity to pick up Yakupov at his lowest market value (that doesn't mean he will be cheap).

Plus, he would make for excellent sound bites. See you next time.

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Montreal don't have the available assets to trade for him.

WOW!!! Really?

Not that I would trade any of these guy's but Subban, Pacioretty, Price, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher and Galchenyuk are all players that are worth Yakupov and are actually playing better than him (other than Tinordi and Beaulieu) right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->