Is Matt Murray Broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
For me the problem was always that he has very poor agility for an NHL goalie/starter. His weak glove stems from this too because it's not enough to know that the player wants to shoot glove side, you still have to track the height properly and react.
He's brilliant at positioning and predicting movements when he's on his game. That's why he's had success.

So if he's not insulated and players getting open looks in tight, he sucks at making adjustments to make those difficult ones, especially if a forward gets creative. Just too slow. We saw it in the Blues game.

This is in stark contrast to our other 2 goalies. DeSmith especially is insanely agile.

Reactions: vikingGoalie

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Matt Murray with Buckley
cut.png

Matt Murray with Bales
30-murray,-matt--(16).jpg

Broken

Reactions: EightyOne

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
For me the problem was always that he has very poor agility for an NHL goalie/starter. His weak glove stems from this too because it's not enough to know that the player wants to shoot glove side, you still have to track the height properly and react.
He's brilliant at positioning and predicting movements when he's on his game. That's why he's had success.

So if he's not insulated and players getting open looks in tight, he sucks at making adjustments to make those difficult ones, especially if a forward gets creative. Just too slow. We saw it in the Blues game.

This is in stark contrast to our other 2 goalies. DeSmith especially is insanely agile.

"very poor agility" is a stretch but generally understand the point.

Reactions: JTG

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
What I like about TJ is that they aren't collapsing/blocking shots in front of him instinctively in games.

They do that with Murray now. Just like how they used to with MAF.

Maybe that says something about their belief in their goaltender?

Reactions: vikingGoalie

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

We'll never know for sure but I'm wondering if MM's groin/knee injury that he suffered a few years ago in warmups in the playoffs hasn't impacted some things. I feel like MM's flexibility and willingness to butterfly correctly have been impacted since then.

Last night I want to point out a scoring chance where Jarry made the save look easy and it was solely due to his positioning/ability to read the play.

~3min mark

Check how far Jarry is out of his crease when the save is made. That's extreme confidence. The shooter is at the top of the circle (on a 1 timer no less). Jarry correctly identifies the only dangerous player is the trailer. He also knows this is an easy 1 time situation for a shooter AND that the chances of him foregoing the shot and dangling are slim since he's got defensive pressure coming.

Once he butterflies and is out THAT far, he knows the shooter has zero angle and the puck has to go through him to go in and seals the ice correctly.

Want to know what the bonus of this play is? No rebound. I don't think anyone would criticize allowing a rebound on such a high velocity shot at close range but Jarry swallows it. If the puck squirts loose there's a good chance the Blues score - pause at 3:09 and tell me what you see? No Pens players boxing out as they're all looking at O Reilly.

Jarry's confidence is sky high right now and he's feeling it. Gotta ride the wave.

Reactions: Andy99

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
At what point does Murray effectively become the backup? Personally, I'd platoon them through December and then decide whom to ride through the spring after the first of the year.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I see a defense that gives up way too many shots from prime scoring areas. The Pens never really replaced Cole as a shot blocker and Sullivan's over hyper, over aggressive style has been figured out.

So Murray has to go side to side like very few goalies in the league. Good teams don't let their goalies move that much.

Some goals are on him but every goalie lets in bad goals.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So Murray has to go side to side like very few goalies in the league. Good teams don't let their goalies move that much.

Huh?

Binnington moved last night and moves plenty during his starts. Holtby too.
Are the Blues and Caps not good teams?

Suggest you watch other hockey games. Nearly every team is forcing the goalie to move side to side. No defense is good enough to stop every single high danger attempt- NHL players are just too skilled nowadays

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I see a defense that gives up way too many shots from prime scoring areas. The Pens never really replaced Cole as a shot blocker and Sullivan's over hyper, over aggressive style has been figured out.

The last heat map I saw showed us more or less being great at preventing high danger stuff, with all the higher danger stuff we do allow coming from the goalie's right. Hockey reference has us way ahead of the league in higher danger attempts allowed (but not high danger goals against) which to me speaks more to Murray's performance than team defense.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I watch enough hockey at every level.

Good teams dont let their goalies go side to side. They play strong within the middle of the ice and there isn't a free for all in the slot. Ive seen enough of two D in one corner to last me a life time.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
The last heat map I saw showed us more or less being great at preventing high danger stuff, with all the higher danger stuff we do allow coming from the goalie's right. Hockey reference has us way ahead of the league in higher danger attempts allowed (but not high danger goals against) which to me speaks more to Murray's performance than team defense.
Does a heat map show where the pass comes from so the goalie has to extend and open himself up?

Reactions: spcastlemagic

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Ah, that it would not. I feel like we've done a good job of not allowing cross-crease/cross-slot kind of passes but memory can be faulty and I don't think publicly available stats exist for that kind of stuff yet - teams probably track it internally.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I watch enough hockey at every level.

Good teams dont let their goalies go side to side. They play strong within the middle of the ice and there isn't a free for all in the slot. Ive seen enough of two D in one corner to last me a life time.

What's MM's excuse for letting a ton of point shots in?

Someone had a stat where he's like worst in the league in that metric.

Reactions: Khelandros

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
We are fortunate that the Pens can roll out two quality goalies. It's a good "problem" to have when there are teams that don't even have a #1 goalie to play. With Murray struggling the past month Jarry has done a great job carrying the load. You can see he's locked in. I like Murray but obviously you keep Jarry in net with the way he is playing. Murray has shown he can bounce back.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Does anything support that?
Sullivan's system, despite what would for most teams be absolutely debilitating bad luck with injuries, has us in the top 3rd league wide for goals against per game. Before last weekend they were in the top5.
That's despite Murray having a worse save percentage by far than any starter on any of the teams having conceded less than us. Only such starter to be below 0.900.

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that Murray has been way below the level we expect from him.
At the same time, this happens eventually for almost all goalies. What matters is him showing he can bounce back like he has before. If he can't.... it is certainly looking like very good timing for Jarry to be breaking out.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

We have the 5th best high danger chances against in the league (only 7 off being the best).

Murray has been bad. It’s not the team in front of him. We have another goalie that’s been killing it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Mike Bales was either never Matt Murray's goalie coach or only briefly. Murray brought his own guy with him at least by the time he had the starter job, which was prior to his first championship.

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Play the hot goalie more often than not, but stay willing to play either. None of this "Fleury is our Goalie" stuff that so clearly backfired on Fleury's delicate psyche, with the extra pressure of being played as a number 1 undeserved while looking like a number 2 (as in...in the toilette)
This will give Murray plenty of time and opportunity to find his game. He's never been a high workload goalie in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia