Is Marner the best passer in the league

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
He is turning into a forward version of Kaberle on the PP. Needs to shoot more and stop using that sweep pass. Overall I enjoy him and his attitude.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
What’s even more impressive is that he’s doing this with Hyman on his line. Nothing against Hyman but he’s never going to be much of a producer.

If that line had another talented guy on offense, Marner would easily get 100 points this season the way he’s playing.
I mean, he's on pace for 100 anyway. once Matthews get back and the top PP gets clicking again, look out

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What’s even more impressive is that he’s doing this with Hyman on his line. Nothing against Hyman but he’s never going to be much of a producer.

If that line had another talented guy on offense, Marner would easily get 100 points this season the way he’s playing.
Secondary assists are clearly where his deficit is. And it's clearly due to Hyman's lack of finishing ability.

We are extremely lucky to have Marner.

member 300185

babcock quote
Mitch thinks what your going to do before you think what your going to do

Our whole power play is run through marner. Is he the best passer in the game today.
Right now, Marner is probably top 5 in the league and getting better every game. Kid amazes me. My fav player right now. I like Kappy too though but Marner's hands are that of a skilled surgeon.

Reactions: The Cobra

member 300185

Near the top of the league in assists. At the top in primary assists.
All this while playing with Hyman on his wing? I mean Hyman has 4 goals and 3 of them are empty net ...
Marner would be leading the league in scoring if not for "ham hands" Hyman.
The only thing that can fix Hymans hands is a chisel.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Near the top of the league in assists. At the top in primary assists.
All this while playing with Hyman on his wing? I mean Hyman has 4 goals and 3 of them are empty net ...
Marner would be leading the league in scoring if not for "ham hands" Hyman.
It is painfully obvious! Imagine what is going through the minds of players like Kappa,wondering what more he has to do to get a top 6 role on this team. But Babs...cause reasons!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Secondary assists are clearly where his deficit is. And it's clearly due to Hyman's lack of finishing ability.

people don't realize how fluky secondary assists are. People think Matthews is a mediocre playmaker because he doesn't pick many of them up, but he's actually closer to elite. If a top 5 playmaker in the league in Marner isn't picking them up with regularity, how can you expect anyone to?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Perhaps we should be thankful Zach is keeping Mitchs points tally down...Dubas is likely grateful.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
people don't realize how fluky secondary assists are. People think Matthews is a mediocre playmaker because he doesn't pick many of them up, but he's actually closer to elite. If a top 5 playmaker in the league in Marner isn't picking them up with regularity, how can you expect anyone to?
Clearly ,Marner hasn't been gifted many (if any) assists ,like some guys.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Never thought I'd say this but Marner>Tavares? Tavares is a beast but Marner seems to be on a whole other level this season. Although it's great that Marner's passes can actually be scored with Tavares as his linemate!
I think they are complimentary players. Marner has latitude when Johnny is menacing the net.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

I think he getting it anyways

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I notice his reputation and swagger is starting to buy him some more space on the half wall a la Patrick Kane.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I notice his reputation and swagger is starting to buy him some more space on the half wall a la Patrick Kane.
Yeah,watching players get embarrassed by Marner, likely creates hesitation when trying to force him into something.Probably end up doing what he thought you would do! That lateral stuff out front of the net where everyone starts over-reacting and anticipating and falling down....man that's fun to watch!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah,watching players get embarrassed by Marner, likely creates hesitation when trying to force him into something.Probably end up doing what he thought you would do! That lateral stuff out front of the net where everyone starts over-reacting and anticipating and falling down....man that's fun to watch!

Remember when Marner was drafted, we all hoped he would grow to about 6'1" and maybe give Jack Eichel a run for his money as the second best player in that draft? Combined with Eichel not quite living up to exectations, it seems like he's done that already without the growth spurt...

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think he getting it anyways

As much as I’d like it, I don’t think so unless all of these happen:

1) Matthews comes back and doesn’t miss a beat.
2) Leafs get more PP opportunities
3) He doesn’t have any slump or bad streaks.

On pace for about 108 points right now, I’d say he gets around 90.

He’s taken a massive step ahead though. He had 47 assists all of last season, he will likely have that by Game 50 this year lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad