Is Marner the best passer in the league

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner currently tied with McDavid in point scored. Looks like their minor hockey rivalry continues.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Remember when Marner was drafted, we all hoped he would grow to about 6'1" and maybe give Jack Eichel a run for his money as the second best player in that draft? Combined with Eichel not quite living up to exectations, it seems like he's done that already without the growth spurt...
I hear ya! But ,don't count Jack out yet! He has himself a good line-mate now too!

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
As much as I’d like it, I don’t think so unless all of these happen:

1) Matthews comes back and doesn’t miss a beat.
2) Leafs get more PP opportunities
3) He doesn’t have any slump or bad streaks.

On pace for about 108 points right now, I’d say he gets around 90.

He’s taken a massive step ahead though. He had 47 assists all of last season, he will likely have that by Game 50 this year lol.
1. He ran 1.13 ppg last year after January on a decent line. That's good for 93 points on a full season. That was without JT. His game has also clearly improved.
2. His shooting percentage in unsustainably low at 7.7%
3. The leafs have unusually low PP opportunities that should ramp up as the season progresses
4. QoC has been concentrated around his line without Matthews and Willy....that will begin to get diluted.
5. Goalie equipment changes

I've been using a conservative estimate of 90 pts as well but as games progress, I'm starting to strongly believe it is a low water mark if he stays healthy

Reactions: eddieO and Marshy

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Marner has taken an increased role and run with it while Auston Matthews recovers from his left shoulder injury and William Nylander works his way through a contract impasse. Playing alongside Tavares and Zach Hyman, he has been a huge offensive driver for the Leafs and moved alongside Connor McDavid into a tie for third in NHL scoring with a three-assist game against Boston.

Tellingly, he’s the league leader in primary assists with 24 through 25 games played — putting him six clear of Colorado’s Mikko Rantanen and eight up on Ottawa’s Matt Duchene.

"Great vision out there," said Marleau, who counts Marner among his closest friends on the team.

The biggest change in Year 3 is more patience. He went through a sophomore slump early last season and was particularly hard on himself during a November stretch where he was held without a point for seven straight games.

"I think it’s just different. I know now that if something’s not going the way it should be in the first, second that I’m not getting frustrated, I’m just staying calm and just relaxing out there," said Marner. "When I get [the puck] I’m just trying to make the right play and the simple play and if I see something else I’m trying to make that play, obviously."

"But I think the confidence just gets better game by game, when you start knowing your linemates more and more."

Reactions: The Cobra

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
1. He ran 1.13 ppg last year after January on a decent line. That's good for 93 points on a full season. That was without JT. His game has also clearly improved.
2. His shooting percentage in unsustainably low at 7.7%
3. The leafs have unusually low PP opportunities that should ramp up as the season progresses
4. QoC has been concentrated around his line without Matthews and Willy....that will begin to get diluted.
5. Goalie equipment changes

I've been using a conservative estimate of 90 pts as well but as games progress, I'm starting to strongly believe it is a low water mark if he stays healthy
Best stat to look at for sustainability of production would be dSh%, which is over +3% for Marner. If you assume that he'll get closer to his expected on-ice sh%, and there's really no reason not to, he'll go PPG the rest of the way, and end up with 90 points. Plenty of factors can change that up or down. At some point our PP opportunities have to start normalizing, but with Willy back Babcock will likely start splitting the PP time again unfortunately. But 90 points should be the baseline. Pretty amazing.

Reactions: Notsince67

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
More assists than generational McDavid almost one third the way through an NHL season.
Tied for 3rd in the NHL in scoring. Hmmmmm.

One stacked Colorado line where all three players have more than 26 points and Mitch is right there.

RubberHead

Apr 15, 2018
Last night against the Bruins, Marner would have a 2 on 1. The norm would be to pass or shoot. But he just hangs on to the puck and waits for the rest of the team to catch up and sets up the play. He thinks when he has the puck. He waits for his teammates to get in position. He is always moving, even when he is tired. Marchand was so frustrated last night because he couldn't catch him to lick his neck. He is the best player the NHL and he should be the first priority to signing a long term deal.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
I get the media needs something to write but this praise of Marner is getting absolutely ridiculous and in some way completely f***ing the team over. I mean all they're doing is giving his agent ammo to present to Dubas during negotiations.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I get the media needs something to write but this praise of Marner is getting absolutely ridiculous and in some way completely ****ing the team over. I mean all they're doing is giving his agent ammo to present to Dubas during negotiations.

I don't suppose that quoting the media is particularly effective in contract negotiations.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I get the media needs something to write but this praise of Marner is getting absolutely ridiculous and in some way completely ****ing the team over. I mean all they're doing is giving his agent ammo to present to Dubas during negotiations.

You're serious?
I'm sure the Agent and the Team are well aware of what Marner does with or without The Fan.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
What’s even more impressive is that he’s doing this with Hyman on his line. Nothing against Hyman but he’s never going to be much of a producer.

If that line had another talented guy on offense, Marner would easily get 100 points this season the way he’s playing.

True. Like a sniper such as Ovechkin or Laine

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
You're serious?
I'm sure the Agent and the Team are well aware of what Marner does with or without The Fan.

When members of the popular press feed this kind of hype to the people it's only going to put more pressure on the team to keep him at whatever cost. Stuff like this does matter.

member 300185

Completely ridiculous. Asinine.
Like the agent is going to go to Dubas and say "this is what the media says so we want the max".

come on man

member 300185

When members of the popular press feed this kind of hype to the people it's only going to put more pressure on the team to keep him at whatever cost. Stuff like this does matter.[/QUOTE]
No it does not.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Completely ridiculous. Asinine.
Like the agent is going to go to Dubas and say "this is what the media says so we want the max".

come on man

The media creates stories dude. Why do you think we're all sitting here acting unsurprised that Matthews is possibly going to get McDavid money? Everyone knows he isn't as good and has been injured for the last 2 years yet people keep throwing the same numbers out there. Why? Because along the way the media couldn't help but beg the question and after enough times the people are now begging it too.

It's going to be the same story with Marner.

member 300185

The media creates stories dude. Why do you think we're all sitting here acting unsurprised that Matthews is possibly going to get McDavid money? Everyone knows he isn't as good and has been injured for the last 2 years yet people keep throwing the same numbers out there. Why? Because along the way the media couldn't help but beg the question and after enough times the people are now begging it too.

It's going to be the same story with Marner.
Man if you think the media has anything to do with contract negotiations, you need to start watching a different sport. If they had anything to do with it at all, the media would have a seat at the table. The medias job is to report news and speculate. Agents and GM's dont get together and argue what the media says or thinks. Thats so ridiculous that its funny.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Man if you think the media has anything to do with contract negotiations, you need to start watching a different sport. If they had anything to do with it at all, the media would have a seat at the table. The medias job is to report news and speculate. Agents and GM's dont get together and argue what the media says or thinks. Thats so ridiculous that its funny.

Again, you think it's as simple as his agent quoting Greg Brady. That's not what I'm saying. Major media opinions form the opinion of the fan base, most of whom don't have time to evaluate things for themselves. When the broad fan base puts value on a player then yes it does inflate their value in negotiations. We're talking about Matthews making McDavid money because enough media/fans posed the possibility, not because it actually makes sense from a statistical perspective.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Best stat to look at for sustainability of production would be dSh%, which is over +3% for Marner. If you assume that he'll get closer to his expected on-ice sh%, and there's really no reason not to, he'll go PPG the rest of the way, and end up with 90 points. Plenty of factors can change that up or down. At some point our PP opportunities have to start normalizing, but with Willy back Babcock will likely start splitting the PP time again unfortunately. But 90 points should be the baseline. Pretty amazing.

We don't even get many opportunities so far and Marner roughly plays half our powerplays, rarely much more.

Reactions: Notsince67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad