Is MacKinnon McDavid's Ovechkin?

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I'm an Oilers fan, for me it's Matthews. He scares me. The only real threat to McDavid's best-in-the-world title in my opinion. If he didn't get hurt this year he would probably have run away with the Ross.
It took MacKinnon 5 seasons to reach his career high 39 goals.
Matthews' 40 in his rookie season while playing the complete game he does is f'ed up good. Lots of folks are in denial about how good he really is.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm an Oilers fan, for me it's Matthews. He scares me. The only real threat to McDavid's best-in-the-world title in my opinion. If he didn't get hurt this year he would probably have run away with the Ross.
Matthews' 40 in his rookie season while playing the complete game he does is f'ed up good. Lots of folks are in denial about how good he really is.
He's very good, and he has the best shot of competing with McDavid, but he hasn't done enough to put himself in the conversation yet. Until this season he's been a pointish per game player with solid but unspectacular possession stats. McDavid, on the other hand, produces at about a 25% higher rate, and has better possession stats to go along with that production. And he does so on a team that is not particularly conducive to good point production.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
The only way anyone gets close is by McDavid being handicapped on a trash offensive team.

He's been handicapped for the past 2 and a half seasons already. McDavid on any of these other guys' teams is putting up significantly better numbers than them because he's simply the best player in the game bar none.

Last edited:

Apr 9, 2009
USA
McDavid is by himself. Mac and Matthews are the Ovechkin/Malkin comparison imo.

In what world Crosby is better than Ovechkin? In fantasy world of people counting secondary assists and ignoring goals? Btw, Ovechkin is still ahead of Crosby in that secondary stat they like to count - points. Those Canadian mass media brainwashed people real hard.

Hot take

Yeah, Ovechkin's 10 point lead in 143 more games definitely proves your point.

2 Conn Smythes

3 Cups

Go back to your own little world and let the rest of us live in peace.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I think part of it is he's American on top of playing for the Leafs. I still don't expect he will be as good as McDavid but it's too hard to tell how close they are until they both play full seasons with good support. I don't think they're that close from watching them both but Matthews shot is so good it's almost like having a cheat code like McDavid's speed or Laine's shot, but all his other skills are somewhere between the two.

I will say that if he can get back to generating the chances he did last season with Nylander back and he stays healthy with that powerplay clicking he has a real shot at 50 goals and 90 points this season even with the missed games. That would put him in the conversation I think.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Also MacKinnon may be a better player than Matthews now, but don't forget he's two years older and has been in the league since 18 compared to 19 for Matthews. I suspect it won't be too long before Matthews equals and then overtakes him.

Reactions: ThewThew

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Matthews is the same age this season that MacK was last year :dunno:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
McDavid is by himself. Mac and Matthews are the Ovechkin/Malkin comparison imo.

Go back to your own little world and let the rest of us live in peace.

36 million Canadians vs 144 million Russians. And I don't even count the rest of the world where Ovechkin considered head and shoulders better by the majority of fans (Which is not a surprise cause most of them don't follow Canadian mass-media). Yeah go back to your little world of Crosby fans.

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I'd compare it more along the lines of Matthew's being Ovy(Pure goal scorer but outside of a couple years he went be nearly as productive as McDavid, like Ovechkin to Crosby)

And Mackinnon is more like Malkin. Except the difference being with Mack not on McDavids team Mack is going to get a lot more talent to work with then what Malkin had in Pittsburgh since he and Crosby rarely play together outside of pp time.

Mack and McDavid will be in a dog fight for scoring title for the next decade. Matthews probably throws his name into the ring a couple of times but won't be in there every year like the other two. However he will be a major threat for the Rocket every year alongside Laine.

Wtf? Ignoring seasons Crosby missed significant games and looking at offensive production:

05/06: OV 52G/106pts > 39G/102pts
08/09: OV 56G/110pts > 33G/103pts
09/10: OV 50G/109pts > 51G/109pts (OV played 10 less games so he wins)
14/15: OV 53G/81pts > 28G/84pts
17/18: OV 49G/87pts > 29G/89pts
18/19 OV 20G/33pts > 14G/29pts

That's not a "couple of years", that's more than half of Crosby's healthy seasons he got out produced by OV.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Also MacKinnon may be a better player than Matthews now, but don't forget he's two years older and has been in the league since 18 compared to 19 for Matthews. I suspect it won't be too long before Matthews equals and then overtakes him.
That's just you hoping he does. MacKinnon is putting up offensive numbers that only 2 other players can relate to.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That's just you hoping he does. MacKinnon is putting up offensive numbers that only 2 other players can relate to.

No it's not just me hoping, the potential is obvious to see. Considering there are countless people on here who believe Matthews is better already it's clearly not just wishful thinking on my part. It's easy to tell when watching him he's just better than everyone else much like MacKinnon and McDavid. When I watch him this season he looks so good I expect him to score every game, and wouldn't you know it he has 15 goals in 14 games. The only thing that prevents him from eventually producing on that level over full seasons is health.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
McDavid doesn’t really have one but Mackinnon would be the closest with Matthews having the potential to also get there. What Mackinnon has in his favour is his great contract and his playoff resume, he has always come up big in every tournament/playoff run in his career so far. If he can have that Briere like playoff ability it might help close the gap between the two a little more than it is now.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
No it's not just me hoping, the potential is obvious to see. Considering there are countless people on here who believe Matthews is better already it's clearly not just wishful thinking on my part. It's easy to tell when watching him he's just better than everyone else much like MacKinnon and McDavid. When I watch him this season he looks so good I expect him to score every game, and wouldn't you know it he has 15 goals in 14 games. The only thing that prevents him from eventually producing on that level over full seasons is health.
He has 9 points in his last 8 games.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
If MacKinnon’s first 4 years is used against him then I guess a bunch of guys like Eberle, Hall, Duchene, Seguin, Landeskog, Aho etc... are a lot better than him, atleast by just looking at the numbers. Not saying we should just forget those 4 years but it makes a lot more sense to look at where he is right now than where he was in his first few years. It’s almost like players don’t develop linearly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad