Is MacKinnon McDavid's Ovechkin?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
When Crosby won the scoring title and MVP in his second season, there may have been a prevalent feeling that he would rack up many Art Rosses and Harts in his younger years. I remember Crosby versus Ovechkin being a thing from very early in their NHL careers if not before they started their NHL careers, but Crosby was decidedly better in 2007 after having been outclassed by Ovie in 2006. Then Ovechkin won three Pearsons in a row, won the Hart in Crosby's third and fourth seasons and beat Crosby in PPG three straight times from '08-'10. IMO Ovechkin was the best player in the League after the 2009 season. Eventually Crosby re-asserted himself as the very best, but it took him a while.

McDavid mirrored Crosby by winning the Hart and Art Ross in his sophomore season. At that point he still had to separate himself from Crosby himself, which I believe he did in his third season. Going into his fourth season it seemed to be a common belief that no one from his generation was on his level. Whereas last year's Hart Winner Hall hasn't been able to carry over his play from last season, MacKinnon seems to be just as good as he was last season if not better; and he was almost even with McDavid in points per game last season.

Is McDavid/MacKinnon the new Crosby/Ovechkin?

Reactions: Sk8M8

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I don't think any players are arguably on the same level as McDavid as it was between Ovechkin and Crosby. There were seasons where Ovechkin could be considered the better player. There's no such argument to be made for anyone against McDavid at this point. Matthews and MacKinnon would be more analogous to Kane and Backstrom or something like that, in terms of skill level.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Mcdavid doesnt have anyone on his tier unfortunatley and unless we get a generational player in the next couple years he will be alone. We are blessed to witness 2 generational players play in the same conference and win cups.

Also the title reads like some riddle lol

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
@ me, reading this title:

giphy.gif

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
When Crosby won the scoring title and MVP in his second season, there may have been a prevalent feeling that he would rack up many Art Rosses and Harts in his younger years. I remember Crosby versus Ovechkin being a thing from very early in their NHL careers if not before they started their NHL careers, but Crosby was decidedly better in 2007 after having been outclassed by Ovie in 2006. Then Ovechkin won three Pearsons in a row, won the Hart in Crosby's third and fourth seasons and beat Crosby in PPG three straight times from '08-'10. IMO Ovechkin was the best player in the League after the 2009 season. Eventually Crosby re-asserted himself as the very best, but it took him a while.

McDavid mirrored Crosby by winning the Hart and Art Ross in his sophomore season. At that point he still had to separate himself from Crosby himself, which I believe he did in his third season. Going into his fourth season it seemed to be a common belief that no one from his generation was on his level. Whereas last year's Hart Winner Hall hasn't been able to carry over his play from last season, MacKinnon seems to be just as good as he was last season if not better; and he was almost even with McDavid in points per game last season.

Is McDavid/MacKinnon the new Crosby/Ovechkin?

In what world Crosby is better than Ovechkin? In fantasy world of people counting secondary assists and ignoring goals? Btw, Ovechkin is still ahead of Crosby in that secondary stat they like to count - points. Those Canadian mass media brainwashed people real hard.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
as for the thread, can you definitively say that mackinnon is on mcdavid's level and or better than him? i can't say that with a straight face.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Matthews has higher PPG than either MacKinnon or McDavid this year, and obviously a much higher goals per game too. Matthews is the closest equivalent to what you are describing.

Reactions: Barkkonen

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Holy shit a Treble Charger Detox avatar. First album I got back when I was around 12.

Still holds up well, Hole In Your Head and Drive especially are a couple great songs.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Kucherov is Malkin but on another team. There is no second Ovechkin yet.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I didn't use the following players because:

Rantanen wasn't close to CMD last season. MacK was in terms of PPG at least.

Matthews has had injury problems and hasn't been able to come very to McDavid in scoring yet.

Kucherov: Yeah, maybe he's arguable, but the age gap between him and McDavid is a few years whereas MacK and McDavid are just two years apart.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
not in this thread man

don't ruin it
Topic starter could have simply asked "is McDavid/MacKinnon the new Crosby/Ovechkin?" But no, he needed to posted that false narrative that has no supporting evidence other than Canadian mass media bias. So I have all rights to laugh at this nonsense.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
as for the thread, can you definitively say that mackinnon is on mcdavid's level and or better than him? i can't say that with a straight face.

I'm not saying that, no. But it's a discussion. He has been keeping pace with him for quite a while now. Granted, he plays in a better situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad