Is MacKinnon McDavid's Ovechkin?

ThewThew

Oct 14, 2017
It’s Matthews whether people like it or not. I know oilers fans are very sensitive about this topic because the only good thing they have in that sad organization is McDavid :nod:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Mcdavid doesnt have anyone on his tier unfortunatley and unless we get a generational player in the next couple years he will be alone. We are blessed to witness 2 generational players play in the same conference and win cups.

Also the title reads like some riddle lol

McDavid is the only player in the NHL who has the potential to go an entire season without missing a shot. He’s the only human who can outrun a cheetah on skates...and he can do it while eating a sandwich.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It’s Matthews whether people like it or not. I know oilers fans are very sensitive about this topic because the only good thing they have in that sad organization is McDavid :nod:
It really isn't. It's Gaudreau.

But hey, the Leafs and Oilers have such a storied rivalry that I can't even remember all the amazing moments between the two teams right now.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Why would Matthews be ahead of MacKinnon in a competition with McDavid?
He isn't, Leafs fans are delusional. Matthews has done nothing to be mentioned in the discussion with these 2 players. Of course he has the potential, but you need to stay on the ice to realize that.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It really isn't. It's Gaudreau.

But hey, the Leafs and Oilers have such a storied rivalry that I can't even remember all the amazing moments between the two teams right now.

Probably a joke, but if not Gaudreau is Marner level, offensively atleast. Matthews is in contention for next best player, but those two are not.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

He's doing such a good job getting beaten by miles in scoring every year by McDavid they're rivals about as much as Arizona is a to Toronto as contenders.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He isn't, Leafs fans are delusional. Matthews has done nothing to be mentioned in the discussion with these 2 players. Of course he has the potential, but you need to stay on the ice to realize that.
Well yah. If you look at the stats from the beginning of last season, which is a large sample, Matthews isn't even close to the top 5, let alone #2.

McDavid 108GP 143PTS
Kucherov 109GP 142PTS
MacKinnon 102GP 140PTS
Matthews 76GP 86PTS

If you're thinking "yah he's missed a lot of games but his P/GP puts him in the top 5" it doesn't. He's 10th with 1.13P/GP.

MacKinnon is the highest with 1.37 and there are 5 players over 1.2P/GP.

In fact, Matthews is closer to 15th in P/GP than he is to the top 6.

He has also played the least amount of games, meaning everyone above him (except Marchand) has kept their pace up for 25-30 games longer than Matthews.

Also, in the 5 games before his injury, he had 0g2a. He has 9PTS in his last 8GP.

He's put up 7 points in the 3 games since returning, and leaf fans are acting like he's doing something special. In reality, the 2.33P/GP he's had since returning, has been done multiple times by multiple players this year, and players like Kucherov have kept up a 2.5P/GP for 10 games. Rantanen has 22pts over 12 games. Laine had 11G over 4 games.

There's nothing that points towards Matthews being a top 3 player in the league.

Last edited:

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Only if Matthews is Laine's Sakic.

And Nylander is Matthew's Kurri

I was gonna suggest that Marner be Eichel's Savard, but that doesn't seem to fit.

What the hell am I even saying?

Marner is more like the In and Out of the Wendy's or the Adam Oates of the Iginla.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd compare it more along the lines of Matthew's being Ovy(Pure goal scorer but outside of a couple years he went be nearly as productive as McDavid, like Ovechkin to Crosby)

And Mackinnon is more like Malkin. Except the difference being with Mack not on McDavids team Mack is going to get a lot more talent to work with then what Malkin had in Pittsburgh since he and Crosby rarely play together outside of pp time.

Mack and McDavid will be in a dog fight for scoring title for the next decade. Matthews probably throws his name into the ring a couple of times but won't be in there every year like the other two. However he will be a major threat for the Rocket every year alongside Laine.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

I don't think either of them are in McDavid's level but what has MacKinnon done? Same amount of playoff series wins (0), same amount of hardware (Calder), lower points per game over his career, never hit 40 goals. 1 elite season five years into your career does not put you into the conversation with McDavid.

There is no Ovi to McDavid's Crosby. It's McDavid and no one else.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I don't think either of them are in McDavid's level but what has MacKinnon done? Same amount of playoff series wins (0), same amount of hardware (Calder), lower points per game over his career, never hit 40 goals. 1 elite season five years into your career does not put you into the conversation with McDavid.

There is no Ovi to McDavid's Crosby. It's McDavid and no one else.
you're right mackinnon is nowhere near mcdavid because he was bad in 2014.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Point has 2x Kucherov’s goals. That’d be like Backstrom having 2x Ovechkin’s goals. It’s half a season, but with Ovie that’d never ever happen. Just sayin’.

That's more of a credit to Point than you think though. Man is playing possessed. I see your *point though. ;)

Reactions: Sensinitis

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
In terms of a rivalry, Matthews/Laine is much more of a fertile soil if you want to stir things up.

I don't think McDavid has an equal of his own generation as of yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad