Is MacKinnon McDavid's Ovechkin?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
If MacKinnon’s first 4 years is used against him then I guess a bunch of guys like Eberle, Hall, Duchene, Seguin, Landeskog, Aho etc... are a lot better than him, atleast by just looking at the numbers. Not saying we should just forget those 4 years but it makes a lot more sense to look at where he is right now than where he was in his first few years. It’s almost like players don’t develop linearly
Matthews is better than MacKinnon, despite his numbers not being nearly as good this season or last, because MacKinnon had a bad year 3 years ago.

And no, Matthews playoff record, potentially stupid contract, and bad shoulders don't count.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
For the last time...

CROSBY OVECHKIN AND MCDAVID ARE ALL COMPARABLE. NOBODY ELSE CURRENTLY IN THE NHL IS COMPARABLE TO THOSE 3

I'm not sure anyone is comparing careers here. For a season and a half almost MacKinnon has a higher PPG than McDavid. Crosby and Ovechkin have not been as good since the start of last season.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If MacKinnon’s first 4 years is used against him then I guess a bunch of guys like Eberle, Hall, Duchene, Seguin, Landeskog, Aho etc... are a lot better than him, atleast by just looking at the numbers. Not saying we should just forget those 4 years but it makes a lot more sense to look at where he is right now than where he was in his first few years. It’s almost like players don’t develop linearly

Not all players you mean? None of those players were as good as Matthews as a rookie. Also no one is saying for sure he will produce better than MacKinnon currently, we are saying he definitely has the potential. Not sure how you could watch him play and come away thinking otherwise.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
For the last time...

CROSBY OVECHKIN AND MCDAVID ARE ALL COMPARABLE. NOBODY ELSE CURRENTLY IN THE NHL IS COMPARABLE TO THOSE 3
There are a lot of players doing better than Ovechkin or Crosby. Why can't they be compared? I understand they can't be compared when it comes to career achievements, but there's 10-15 guys who absolutely compare with them right now when you look at offensive numbers.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
There are a lot of players doing better than Ovechkin or Crosby. Why can't they be compared? I understand they can't be compared when it comes to career achievements, but there's 10-15 guys who absolutely compare with them right now when you look at offensive numbers.
because when the going gets tough these players come through!

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mackinnon is my favourite non-Leaf player in the league but I think it's still Matthews. They have been compared more since Matthews entered the league whether fans like it or not.

Pretty much this.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

With Crosby maybe, but OV? OV won the rocket in a walk last season, PPG+, playoff rocket, PPG+ playoff, 2nd in goals right now and PPG+ again. I'll give you McDavid and MacK, probably Malkin and Kucherov. But who are the other 10-15 comparable to that?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
McDavid doesn't have an Ovechkin. MacKinnon, Matthews, Kucherov are all great. None has the style of play or the personality to be McDavid's true rival. Sid and Ovie were both true superstars, polar opposites personality-wise, and supposedly hated each other. Now, that's a recipe for a real rivalry.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
With Crosby maybe, but OV? OV won the rocket in a walk last season, PPG+, playoff rocket, PPG+ playoff, 2nd in goals right now and PPG+ again. I'll give you McDavid and MacK, probably Malkin and Kucherov. But who are the other 10-15 comparable to that?
Yah that's true. Ovi has been incredible. You could look at Laine who is nearly on par with goals the last couple years.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't even think McDavid is quite on the level of prime Crosby and Ovechkin, let alone anyone else in today's current NHL. McDavid has no peers, at this point, and certainly not someone as good as OV.

Reactions: Randyne

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
MacK
Ovechkin
Malkin
Crosby
Kucherov

It's not that hard to name 5 players better than Matthews.

I took the comment to be in the spirit of this thread, ie peers around the same age on similar career type tracks.

Also I'm not sure if all 5 of those guys will be better by the end of this season either.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Really, can you name the 5 that are?

Also the more I think about it, if Eichel has some playoff success it might get interesting.
McDavid
MacKinnon
Kucherov
Rantanen
Malkin
Ovechkin
Wheeler
Crosby
Maybe Marner

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

We are talking about their peak. People are saying that another player can be the “Ovechkin to McDavid’s Crosby” in that Ovechkin and Crosby were undisputedly the two best players in the NHL for multiple seasons during their peak. Right now, McDavid is undisputedly number one and there is nobody who compares to McDavid or is even undisputedly number two.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wouldn't want that cap hit for a guy with 2 bum shoulders and a terrible playoff record

It's ok, it'd be like having Foppa again...where we could make do if he missed the entire regular season, as long as he was healthy for the playoffs.

Plus with the MacK-steal, we have the room to carry 1 bad contract...as long as some of MacK's clutchness rubbed off on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad