Is MacKinnon McDavid's Ovechkin?

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Topic starter could have simply asked "is McDavid/MacKinnon the new Crosby/Ovechkin?" But no, he needed to posted that false narrative that has no supporting evidence other than Canadian mass media bias. So I have all rights to laugh at this nonsense.

Ummm... yeah... it looks like daver will be busy in this thread now... lol.

Reactions: Caps8112

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
In what world Crosby is better than Ovechkin? In fantasy world of people counting secondary assists and ignoring goals? Btw, Ovechkin is still ahead of Crosby in that secondary stat they like to count - points. Those Canadian mass media brainwashed people real hard.

Wrong thread.

Reactions: Caps8112

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Matthews has higher PPG than either MacKinnon or McDavid this year, and obviously a much higher goals per game too. Matthews is the closest equivalent to what you are describing.

I see a lot of potential in Matthews, but the simple fact is he hasn't been able to put together a season comparable to MacKinnon's latest season yet.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
MacKinnon is the best player in the world this year. He was close to the best last year.

I feel McDavid probably will prove himself to be the best in the long run, but he hasn't done it yet.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well, I’m equally terrified of both players at the moment.
That's fair, but you don't have McDavid...thankfully...

When we play the oilers it's not like when we play the Pens, where MacK & Sid go toe to toe as equal talents. In those oilers games since MacK took over, it's been clear that McD is just in a tier of his own...though I hope MacK can keep elevating his game and outshine McDavid head-to-head one of these days.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
When Crosby won the scoring title and MVP in his second season, there may have been a prevalent feeling that he would rack up many Art Rosses and Harts in his younger years. I remember Crosby versus Ovechkin being a thing from very early in their NHL careers if not before they started their NHL careers, but Crosby was decidedly better in 2007 after having been outclassed by Ovie in 2006. Then Ovechkin won three Pearsons in a row, won the Hart in Crosby's third and fourth seasons and beat Crosby in PPG three straight times from '08-'10. IMO Ovechkin was the best player in the League after the 2009 season. Eventually Crosby re-asserted himself as the very best, but it took him a while.

McDavid mirrored Crosby by winning the Hart and Art Ross in his sophomore season. At that point he still had to separate himself from Crosby himself, which I believe he did in his third season. Going into his fourth season it seemed to be a common belief that no one from his generation was on his level. Whereas last year's Hart Winner Hall hasn't been able to carry over his play from last season, MacKinnon seems to be just as good as he was last season if not better; and he was almost even with McDavid in points per game last season.

Is McDavid/MacKinnon the new Crosby/Ovechkin?

No, because I bet Mackinnon comes closer to winning a cup than McDavid. So the Ovechkin in this scenario is McDavid.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Nope that's Matthews

Hahahahah when Matthews doesn't get constantly outproduced by 40+ points a season maybe. I mean Ovechkin has scored in the 60 point range once in his career? Matthews has already done it twice :laugh:

Matthews produces far too little and is way too injury prone to be a threat to McDavid.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Matthews has higher PPG than either MacKinnon or McDavid this year, and obviously a much higher goals per game too. Matthews is the closest equivalent to what you are describing.

Yeah cause he's played 1/3rd the amount of games genius, nobody with a career high of 69 points is relevant in this discussion, leave it to the big boys with relevant scoring totals. Let's talk again when Matthews breaks the oh so difficult 70 point mark.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hahahahah when Matthews doesn't get constantly outproduced by 40+ points a season maybe. I mean Ovechkin has scored in the 60 point range once in his career? Matthews has already done it twice :laugh:

Matthews produces far too little and is way too injury prone to be a threat to McDavid.

And Crosby was under 70 points for three straight years, so was he never a threat to Ovechkin? Or is context maybe important?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Only if Matthews is Laine's Sakic.

And Nylander is Matthew's Kurri

I was gonna suggest that Marner be Eichel's Savard, but that doesn't seem to fit.

What the hell am I even saying?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
And Crosby was under 70 points for three straight years, so was he never a threat to Ovechkin? Or is context maybe important?

And before that Crosby had already proven to be on a level that produces just as well as Ovechkin multiple times at that, has Matthews done the same?

That's what I thought, unless you want to extrapolate 10 games this season to McDavods multiple art rosses then you go ahead.

You aren't anyone's biggest competition unless you've been on par with them or have beaten them, neither can be said for Matthews.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No, because I bet Mackinnon comes closer to winning a cup than McDavid. So the Ovechkin in this scenario is McDavid.

And yet McDavid has been closer to winning a cup than MacKinnon while being younger... Great logic.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
the Crosby/Ovechkin rivalry is a little more like the Laine/Matthews one.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad