Is Jon Cooper our weakest link?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
im a bit raw but will try we have a culture here and i think that starts with head coach yzerman stayed out mostly cooper will say this even sometimes guys need to be yelled at not coddled... So we have a history and if we are soft as per most of the league says then that is on the coach. Yep players need to look in mirror but theres always been injuries theres always been trials and for 4 years we failed basically with same bunch... I thought that had this locked but even as positive as I am I had concern of the culture of we are the best we can turn it on off whenever we choose... We have to be yelled at sometimes to put forth the effort as professionals we should always put forth etc... That is my two cents and concerning... Do i have any confidence in cooper NO.... Have I lost most confidence in JBB yes... just because of what im hearing. NOT happy very raw we NEED SOME FIRE period in either some players coaches upstairs something. Real fire imho im sad very sad

Reactions: PJ817

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
im a bit raw but will try we have a culture here and i think that starts with head coach yzerman stayed out mostly cooper will say this even sometimes guys need to be yelled at not coddled... So we have a history and if we are soft as per most of the league says then that is on the coach. Yep players need to look in mirror but theres always been injuries theres always been trials and for 4 years we failed basically with same bunch... I thought that had this locked but even as positive as I am I had concern of the culture of we are the best we can turn it on off whenever we choose... We have to be yelled at sometimes to put forth the effort as professionals we should always put forth etc... That is my two cents and concerning... Do i have any confidence in cooper NO.... Have I lost most confidence in JBB yes... just because of what im hearing. NOT happy very raw we NEED SOME FIRE period in either some players coaches upstairs something. Real fire imho im sad very sad

I think you need to calm down you defended cooper to me a lot a whole lot! now that yzerman is gone I think you are just upset and fired up we all knew since last September yzerman was leaving and going to the redwings to be by his family and still work in hockey. Really I have not seen JB as a gm yet so I will wait and see on him. Of course I wish cooper was fired as I said I feel he will never win a cup here.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think you need to calm down you defended cooper to me a lot a whole lot! now that yzerman is gone I think you are just upset and fired up we all knew since last September yzerman was leaving and going to the redwings to be by his family and still work in hockey. Really I have not seen JB as a gm yet so I will wait and see on him. Of course I wish cooper was fired as I said I feel he will never win a cup here.
id feel a lot more comfortable with q right now... you know this... i said if we got embarrassed id want him out... and yes vasy gets a pass cooper gets a pass on defense... i give NO PASS for not scoring... i give no pass on lack of shooting the puck in this series. I give zero pass as I have in past on losing games ONE ive always said that is a problem. I give zero pass on the culture that has been allowed by this team to show up at times if/when they want !!!! you talk to me every day on lightning on everything top to bottom.... You know I love cooper I love callahan i love each and every piece I believe in them 100% each and every day... YET there is a culture here of turning on off of NOT showing up till face adversity at times which needs to be addressed we lost one and 2 vs washing we went down 3-1 to detroit now we get swept in four vs columbus im saying this is UNACEPTABLE period and no i wont give a pass to the offense drying up at the wrong time. cooper showed emotion ONE TIME game four wtf is that. I woulda been stoning people... I am a firely guy by nature and will yell at people ive yelled at you my brother... especially on nonsense people say every day that others pick up on that is flat out garbage... this team needs to not be coddled they need some fire behind them and in the lineup and more protection to wake up... we should have simply outscored columbus imho ..... and to not do that yes is devastating. I have given excuses every time this time? NO i wont... barely anyone showed up fully at times...im good and angry but i think i should be... we allowed this as a group as a team organization etc... cups are hard plain and simple but showing up is a different thing entirely were they trying im sure they thought they were but we have a culture that laughs off those losses and imho the only time you learn is by loss... sometimes being a bit different goes a long way is all im saying. we need a difference as couch GM i dont have the answers but this did not work so far... losing over and over game one putting self down by good to great teams is unacceptable to think anything else is crazy imho.. we have too much talent for that... and yes at times its a look in mirror.. so these guys need to do that... but also if we can add some fire we are better off imho... do we need a torts now... even positive fire is good but accountability ? i think can be addressed:)

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
For all the success he's had in the playoffs, the only thing on my mind right now is 6 straight L's when it's mattered most.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For all the success he's had in the playoffs, the only thing on my mind right now is 6 straight L's when it's mattered most.

I just don't like our history of struggling against trapping teams. I know the players have to work their way through it, but I think a coach has to do his part and change the strategy. His comments in game were concerning, even though I tend to not hold that kind of thing against a coach... But he seemed to think things were going fine when we were being outplayed in all three zones.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I just don't like our history of struggling against trapping teams. I know the players have to work their way through it, but I think a coach has to do his part and change the strategy. His comments in game were concerning, even though I tend to not hold that kind of thing against a coach... But he seemed to think things were going fine when we were being outplayed in all three zones.

You'd think that he would have a new strategy for trapping teams after Washington shut them out back to back...but nope, not even after 11 solid months to plan.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
in six years we do not have any answers zero this guy goes to all star game and pulls his line up out of a hat?? yep that happened and that is his style of coaching to me at this point.

he has never prepared us for game one on home stretches or game one for road stretches and he doesnt prepare us for game ones in playoff series...

this is the history? anyone disagree? give me some stats to show this is somehow false?

he pretty much coaches by a blender throwing whoever with whoever and hopes it works... ive never seen an adjustment in six years ive said wow the guy did a great move there....

since he has came ive never known our lines for sure who is shut down when it counts the extra hard minutes nope throw it in a blender play four lines... with all the injuries why didnt we go to true and tied 7 dmen ??? we did that for years not this year but you would think we would try that when down 2-3 dmen....

last game he puts line together who has never played together wth?

yes i know stamkos needs an old or young palat or downie type ive always known that....

yet that is only one line... ive seen stamkos stats this playoffs i see guys hot and we are down and they are not double shifted .... yep most of year was cirelli in a spot but at times way tooo often when we have leads or behind and we simply play whoever instead of holding a lead with this I thought shut down line nope lets put stamkos out or line four with 3 minutes left...

i mean im over it i love our team ill love all decisions but until we win a cup I wont have confidence till cooper is gone at this point... for me thats very sad.... i figured vasy would be our saving grace this year he couldnt do it so will i believe he can till he does doubtful... and nothing against him I thought he took a step yes know he was bothered... still didnt get it done.... when needed but no one did...

i feel we have achieved allllllllll that we have achieved in spite of cooper myself...

anyway if he stays will still cheer as loudly will go into my I believe thing but part of me will be saying when is the sky gonna fall

Reactions: ultra63 and PJ817

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Cooper is a fraud coach and we wasted our best years on him rather then getting a coach who has won a cup and had experience in winning in the playoffs. I look at this roster the last two years and didn’t even make the cup finals what a complete waste

Reactions: Kusic and ultra63

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Who else thinks something like this never happened in our locker room under Coop?

Warning: Foul language

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Who else thinks something like this never happened in our locker room under Coop?

Warning: Foul language

There is sometimes conflict with new-school vs old-school coaching. That guys now will shut down if you yell at them. Yes, probably, I would. But in the behind the scenes clips I find of angry NHL coaches, they yell at the room and don't put anyone on the spot like that. Hopefully, the guys on the team who see the issue will agree with the coach seeing it, appreciate it and increase buy-in, and the guys who need it will get the message without being directly called out and possibly feeling demeaned.

Where the issue comes is from overcorrection. No anger ever.

Gabby does it too. (even more foul language)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There is sometimes conflict with new-school vs old-school coaching. That guys now will shut down if you yell at them. Yes, probably, I would. But in the behind the scenes clips I find of angry NHL coaches, they yell at the room and don't put anyone on the spot like that. Hopefully, the guys on the team who see the issue will agree with the coach seeing it, appreciate it and increase buy-in, and the guys who need it will get the message without being directly called out and possibly feeling demeaned.

Where the issue comes is from overcorrection. No anger ever.

Gabby does it too. (even more foul language)

Berating your team is one thing, firing them up is another. Showing fire behind the bench =/= losing your head in the locker room, it's something I think Torts has finally realized, he's always going to be a firey guy he just needs to know how to direct it and when to direct it. It's eerily creepy to see Torts all smiles behind the bench when his teams trailing.

Personally, I love seeing coaches give feedback to players in game, getting in a players ear right after or before a shift giving you know, actual coaching tips based on how the games going, that to me can make all the difference as players are times way too immersed in the game and can't see things on a broader picture like a coach is supposed to. Cooper just stands there, covers his mouth and the only time you see him conversing is with the assistant coaches behind his stupid paper.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I really have to say that you cant have a sweep in the post season without the blame going all the way around. I mean I feel like the postseason winners are the teams that truly want it the most and will do anything necessary to win. We didnt have that hungry mentality when the playoffs started. I do blame Cooper a great amount for this but also its definitely on the players. Call it weak or soft or whatever but the players just didnt have it in them to play the kind of hockey that is needed at this stage of the game. Guys have to be first to every puck and be ready to be punished for that but counter it in a positive way for your team. Have to block shots and sacrifice your body a lot at this stage. Its definitely a different mentality, a desperate one almost.

We have gone far in the playoffs so we cant say for sure that we cant play playoff hockey. I just dont think we matched the desperate hockey that Columbus played. We had not played a real meaningful game most of the year. Columbus played in one nearly every night. Thats no proper excuse for what we saw but it definitely played a role. I think going into the playoffs this team had a different make up to them than they did in the other playoffs. Was a different experience for all of them. Including Cooper. They were such heavy favorites, all season really and when the playoffs come and we just werent ready for the storm that is the playoffs. A lot of compliments going our way, not a lot of adversity. Then the brutal world that is the playoffs where there is absolutely no mercy and we werent ready for it. I really blame every one involved on this one and we have to have a different attitude when the playoffs come or we will see the same results.

Reactions: Maelmoor

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's said that a team takes on the personality of its coach. From everything I've seen in all my years watching hockey closely, I believe it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he's obviously our weakest link. Even non-TB fans are noticing that he doesn't really have any kind of impact on games.

I don't know. A great coach can get the best out of a mediocre team. I think that's what we saw with Torts. Everybody on that team played above expectations. When everybody save a rare few (Cirelli, Cernak) play below expectations, I don't see how the coach escapes not just blame, but the lion's share.

Reactions: Hoek

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think he's obviously our weakest link. Even non-TB fans are noticing that he doesn't really have any kind of impact on games.

I don't know. A great coach can get the best out of a mediocre team. I think that's what we saw with Torts. Everybody on that team played above expectations. When everybody save a rare few (Cirelli, Cernak) play below expectations, I don't see how the coach escapes not just blame, but the lion's share.
IMO it's also worth looking into why the only players that have not been downright terrible in the playoffs are rookies (Cernak, Cirelli).

Meanwhile the likes of Hedman (84 career playoff games), Stamkos (70), Kucherov (65), McDonagh (117), Johnson (68) or Palat (67) looked like actual rookies on the ice.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
IMO it's also worth looking into why the only players that have not been downright terrible in the playoffs are rookies (Cernak, Cirelli).

Meanwhile the likes of Hedman (84 career playoff games), Stamkos (70), Kucherov (65), McDonagh (117), Johnson (68) or Palat (67) looked like actual rookies on the ice.

Well, I'd take Hedman off the list because something was very wrong with him. Otherwise, it's been a common theme with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad