Is Jon Cooper our weakest link?

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
It's troubling to me that Todd Richards had to go in and fix both of our special teams while Cooper has been here the entire time. I can only imagine what that means for the 5v5 system, especially when coming up against a trap. Washington really did write the blueprint on how to beat us, or maybe even Babcock back in 2015.

If Richards were our head coach, I think we are still playing DFC, I really do.

The same special teams that failed us against Columbus and was a major reason we were swept? It's fair enough if people want to blame the coaching but then Richards is part of the problem, not the solution.

Either Richards was aligned with the rest of the coaching staff or he clearly didn't do anything about it. Would he remain as Cooper's right hand if he disagreed? What did he do to turn things around against Columbus? If we talk about accountability, then that should apply to everyone within the organisation.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The same special teams that failed us against Columbus and was a major reason we were swept? It's fair enough if people want to blame the coaching but then Richards is part of the problem, not the solution.

Either Richards was aligned with the rest of the coaching staff or he clearly didn't do anything about it. Would he remain as Cooper's right hand if he disagreed? What did he do to turn things around against Columbus? If we talk about accountability, then that should apply to everyone within the organisation.

Our PK definitely failed us. I don't think that can be said of our PP. If I'm not mistaken, we only had 6 opportunities in 4 games. Even with our PK... Well, it's not like Vasy was on his A-game. Some of those goals are goals he wants back.

I'm not even pushing for Richards to be a head coach (although I wouldn't be opposed to him as a candidate). I'm just saying, the PP was terrible for at least a few years under Cooper until Richards took it over--suddenly it's consistently a top PP in the league, even in the year we didn't have Stamkos. Then Richards takes over the PK and suddenly it ties for tops in the league. What I'm saying isn't so much an endorsement of Richards as it is an indictment of Cooper. I don't think Cooper knows how to diagnose problems, and he damn sure doesn't know how to fix them.

Reactions: MattM92

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Our PK definitely failed us. I don't think that can be said of our PP. If I'm not mistaken, we only had 6 opportunities in 4 games. Even with our PK... Well, it's not like Vasy was on his A-game. Some of those goals are goals he wants back.

I'm not even pushing for Richards to be a head coach (although I wouldn't be opposed to him as a candidate). I'm just saying, the PP was terrible for at least a few years under Cooper until Richards took it over--suddenly it's consistently a top PP in the league, even in the year we didn't have Stamkos. Then Richards takes over the PK and suddenly it ties for tops in the league. What I'm saying isn't so much an endorsement of Richards as it is an indictment of Cooper. I don't think Cooper knows how to diagnose problems, and he damn sure doesn't know how to fix them.

I agree that Richards has improved the special teams..but the PK let us down in last season's playoffs too. So if Cooper is critized for being a regular season coach only, then there is a case for Richards too if you start to dig into it.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Why not continue the list? We don't care about world hunger. We don't care about the poor...

He said they don't care what people think, that's it.
that's my point: they do not care what people think

IF they cared, maybe they'd play like it

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
You cooper lovers are eating crow now as a lightning fan it’s pretty frustrating now as cooper is still here!
I knew that JBB would not fire him. Saw some fan say this on Twitter "It's only a few uneducated fans that don't like Cooper"

:laugh::huh::help:

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I think he's talking more about the headlines, not the fanbase.
Perhaps... look, I like Killer. He dated one of my friend's daughters and she always says he was very nice and good to her.

I would have hoped the PR department would have given the players/coaches/JBB a better script to follow than words like "don't care" because anything after that, is not heard

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

Richards, knowing Cooperloser, was not ALLOWED to use the players on the PK and PP he wanted. I'd bet your wife/girlfriend on that. Cooper is an idiot.

Reactions: PJ817

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I knew that JBB would not fire him. Saw some fan say this on Twitter "It's only a few uneducated fans that don't like Cooper"

:laugh::huh::help:
I played hockey and been watching hockey since 1992 and I’ve know cooper is a joke of a coach! You know torts in the back of his head was like man I wish I had all those good players when I coached Tampa. Brisebois I knew would not fire cooper because he would look like a complete idiot after he just signed him to a new contract. What a liar in the press conference lol if cooper had no contract right now then brisebois would have let him go and he would be getting a new head coach. I hate to say it but as long as cooper is here this organization will not win the Stanley cup. But I have loved the lightning since 1992 and I will always want them to win and been cheering for them. I was at the very first game at expo hall! I’ve seen this team draft stamkos and vinny 1st overall! And knew when they grabbed brad Richards in the 3rd round in 1998 that he would be a stud! I saw them trade for a franchise goalie in the bulin wall and knew they would win the Stanley cup when they got him. I hate to say it folks but since 2015 we are on the down hill ride now it’s going to be a while before we win the Stanley cup again. I was hoping after this year that vinik and brisebois would wake up and fire cooper and grab coach Q but Florida beat us to it but for sure when Q saw cooper ink that extension then he moved on to the panthers.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I agree that Richards has improved the special teams..but the PK let us down in last season's playoffs too. So if Cooper is critized for being a regular season coach only, then there is a case for Richards too if you start to dig into it.

To me, that one gets just a bit of a "small sample size" pass. We looked so disengaged on the penalty kill, and were giving Columbus too much time and space. As a one-off, I think a good deal of the blame can go on the players for that one.

The broader point DFC is making is the real troubling one, though. Cooper took years to get rid of the medal weight around his neck known as Rick Bowness, and only when he's given Richards more responsibilities have those areas of the team improved. It can't just be random. It reflects very poorly on Cooper, in any case.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Remember when Cooper was the PP coach..... Yeah and Yzerman was like ehh nope that's not continuing :laugh:

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
All the way to Detroit... put this guano in the rearview mirror, laughing all the way

"See ya suckers" with his middle finger pushing up his glasses in the only way that Yzerman can

Gonna miss him

Reactions: ultra63

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I played hockey and been watching hockey since 1992
Born and raised in MN, my son born and raised there; played hockey/broomball back in the day when girls could not play hockey; friends played in NHL, their wives/ex-wives are friends hence I've been through a lot with them (games, divorces, cheating, etc.) one might presume I've seen a thing or 2 with respect to hockey...

Been through the North Star, the Nordiques, Whalers, Thrashers, etc. Watched hockey at the high school, college and NHL level for almost 50 years (don't remember much before the age of 5)...

Cooper sucks.

Reactions: Todd1a and DaBolts

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
A series of small sample sizes eventually becomes a decently large sample size on its own.

If my math is correct, Jon Cooper has now been the head coach of the Lightning for 66 playoff games. The Lightning's record in those 66 playoff games? 36-30, a .545 win percentage. Breakdown by round:

Round 1: 12-13 (three wins, two defeats [both sweeps])
Round 2: 12-4 (three wins, zero defeats)
Round 3: 10-11 (one win, two defeats)
Round 4: 2-4 (one defeat)

That's 7-5 in playoff series' overall and, for whatever its worth, when the Lightning have faced a team with a higher seed than them (rarely), they're 2-1, both wins coming in 2015 against the Habs and Rangers, two teams with better regular season records but teams I felt the Lightning were better than, and I wrote that at the time as well. What that means also is that the Lightning have lost four postseason series over the years where they were the higher seed, thus, the team with the home ice advantage. Only once - 2016 ECF vs. Pittsburgh - were they eliminated when they didn't have home ice advantage. That pretty well sucks, and is entirely substantiated by their 18-18 record in home playoff games under Cooper (I mean, c'mon, that's pathetic).

Relative to expectations, the results aren't good enough. 66 games is nearly an entire season's worth of games, if small sample sizes is something you're worried about. 66 games across five postseasons, most of which have ended in dismal failure. Enough.
yea thats a really bad playoff record ill give you that. but i blame the players more because clearly his systems work its just that the players dont seem to get amoed up enough like the opposition does. maybe stamkos is a soft leader. could be a number of things. plus didnt u guys just extend coop? thatd suck if they want rid of him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
You cooper lovers are eating crow now as a lightning fan it’s pretty frustrating now as cooper is still here!
I don’t think there are “Cooper lovers” left, at least among the more educated and dedicated fans on here. He was just given the benefit of the doubt after three deep playoff runs in four years and a historical regular season. The 1st round sweep and especially the “no answers” part changed everything, at least for me.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
So I thought the .545 winning % in playoffs was poor but then I looked it up. It’s not bad. Pretty much any of the coaches you think of are around that area.

Torts and Trotz are under .500 in the playoffs.

But is disconcerting to me that we are 1-5 in our last 6 home playoff games. I know home ice doesn’t mean as much now—see wpg v St. Louis but it’s not a good stat.

I’m frustrated as heck but until this season we we were ousted by the champs and heck if drouins skate is down we are up on the pens in game 6 and if gourde gets a stick on a puck on the line we are tied 1-1 in game 7 last year.

Now I wish someone had asked him about sitting coburn and all his playoff experience and success for a guy who had played 14 games with the team because he’s right handed???? Even though Serg has played the right just fine with Coburn a lot of the season.

That and his inability to grasp how much confidence cbus has after game 1. Our mentality is okay we learned don’t blow the lead when it should have been—-this team now believes they are better than us and has supreme confidence.

Not his fault for playing Hedman—-if he’s cleared he plays but he wasn’t right.

Reactions: Hoek

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
Is it really the coaches or is it the players character/makeup that created the failure of epic proportions. Maybe the players didn't buy into Coop but I have a hard time after winning 62 games that the scheme /execution was a problem. The players didn't match the intensity and like the Wash. series last year, they bowed to the physicality when confronted with something out of their comfort zone. Maybe too much finess and not enough character doomed this club. All the coaching in the world will never get certain players to step it up in the intensity dept. To me, the bottom line is the players failed, they were more than capable to beat Columbus with their skill set, they just didn't have the desire to prove it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->