Is Jon Cooper our weakest link?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'd probably be satisfied if we'd seen ANYTHING different as the series progressed. Just show them a different look--something. But we stuck to the same game and Coop, while talking to Pierre McGuire, basically said, "This is fine," while the house was burning down around him.

Our only success in the series came from spectacular individual efforts. And even those looked almost like they came from a place of frustration. Like, Stamkos thinking, "Well, nothing else is working, might as well try to stickhandle through three guys. Oh ****, it worked!"

It still hurts my head thinking about it. I dont understand how a team with as much success as they did all season long and they couldnt even get into their zone in the playoffs. You would think the players would have a little more pride and tune out Coop when we still had some time to turn this thing around. With that said, why didnt they? You would think after an embarrassing experience like this that Coop isnt already gone. You would think the guys on the ice would have more pride to win this and try a different plan.

I will still tend to blame the players. Every team incorporates some form of trap, that's just the way it is. There is NOTHING NEW under the sun that hasn't been exposed before. And you just don't play one style of trap through the whole game, depending upon if your team is up or down, what period you are in and even to some extent the personnel you are dealing with, will all dictate the traps being deployed by you or against you. It is the players responsibility to recognize and adjust accordingly, with help from all the coaches of course. It was in the execution that was the failure, not because of a trap that they have seen too many times already.

I agree. Players are to blame too. They are actually on the ice. I do agree tho that Coop and his indifferent look that he gives out cant be good. Torts was talking to every player on the bench and animated about different plays. Coop barley talked to his players. Only reason why I think the players didnt run coop out is because they are taking the equal amount of blame. Hope everyone learned from this and they handle the playoffs a little bit different this time.

Because coach Q is close to Scotty Bowman and Yzerman so I'm sure he was thinking about the lightning since yzerman still has people here. he sat out there until cooper signed his deal

Lets forget about Q. Ship has sailed. We can still make a change on Coop. The Pens fired their coach in the middle of the season for 2 of their cup runs. Wouldnt be surprised if Coop is fired mid season.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
AFC2984B-5A54-44EB-8608-B6BDA4EDAC50.jpeg

Coach of the year imo.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I'd probably be satisfied if we'd seen ANYTHING different as the series progressed. Just show them a different look--something. But we stuck to the same game and Coop, while talking to Pierre McGuire, basically said, "This is fine," while the house was burning down around him.

Our only success in the series came from spectacular individual efforts. And even those looked almost like they came from a place of frustration. Like, Stamkos thinking, "Well, nothing else is working, might as well try to stickhandle through three guys. Oh ****, it worked!"
That was a f***ing nice goal. Wish we'd had more time to see what Stamkos could have done in the playoffs.

He was characteristically quiet the first 3 games, but had a nice game 4. And once he pots a goal he seems to score in bunches before going dry again. Too bad our car stalled before it even got going.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Brother, I wish I knew.
I know it's an oversimplification, but... this baffles me. He's had trouble with the trap for YEARS, and it's glaringly obvious.

There's no excuse not to sit down all summer and watch how other teams break the trap, then implement it.

He doesn't have to innovate, reinvent the wheel, or patent the Jon Cooper Trap Breaker 2000 - just f***ing copy what works, and work it into your system.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
While I agree that Coop's firing is a possibility, I tend to lean towards the fact that players usually dictate the coaches tenure unless there are philosophical differences and/or changes in management. I think that Coops tenure is definitely going to be decided this coming year, but I also have a problem with the players character and leadership and the lack thereof. There was no sense of urgency in their play, there was no sense matching the intensity of the opposition. I'm probably looking at some serious changes in personnel soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad