Is John Marino for real?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Pettersson's 22 years old and already capable of giving us 19 good minutes a night. He's not Marino, but he's absolutely a quality young defenseman, if a more complementary top 4 type.

The one downside to rookies like Marino or Jake coming in and killing it in a short order is that it totally warps people's ideas of how 99.5% of other successful NHLers develop. :laugh:

And god help us if Marino hits a sophomore slump. :cry:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Is this a failure of the strategy or the implementation though?

Although I think the main thing that comes out of this is don't pick fools for GMs.

Or pick a GM for a fool, but have a killer scouting department. :laugh:

I think the success Sid and Geno have had makes it absolutely clear that the imperative is to build from the center out, unless you have a shot at the next AO. And even then, look how long it took the Caps to get a cup with one of the top 5 wingers of the modern game.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Some people on here have downright ridiculous expectations for how good players should be in certain roles. Whether it be that they need an "elite 3C" or how Pettersson/Schultz shouldn't be a top-4 D or how the Penguins forward depth isn't terrific, it seems like a ton of people here have ridiculous expectations where every position has to have an "elite" player.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Some people on here have downright ridiculous expectations for how good players should be in certain roles. Whether it be that they need an "elite 3C" or how Pettersson/Schultz shouldn't be a top-4 D or how the Penguins forward depth isn't terrific, it seems like a ton of people here have ridiculous expectations where every position has to have an "elite" player.

Right on. Not to bring up the dreaded goaltender controversy, but I'm perfectly okay with us running a tandem of two above-average goalies and riding the hot hand, because we don't need an elite netminder. Similarly, with the blueline, it'd be nice to run a top pair of Norris candidates, but this team has always had success running 3 pairings of 3/4 guys than having one absolutely star top pairing (though Letang on his game comes close to that, I'll admit).

It'd be nice to be stacked like the old Red Army team, but have had plenty of success (arguably the most in the post-lockout era) without that.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I don't understand his college numbers. 15, 16, 11 point in 35, 33 and 33 games. He did not improve offensively in any one of his college years. Sure, he played behind Fox and did not get PP time but I would have expected some improvement from year to year. And I don't get why he's not getting PP time now. Surely he can be better than Pettersson on the 2nd unit.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't understand his college numbers. 15, 16, 11 point in 35, 33 and 33 games. He did not improve offensively in any one of his college years. Sure, he played behind Fox and did not get PP time but I would have expected some improvement from year to year. And I don't get why he's not getting PP time now. Surely he can be better than Pettersson on the 2nd unit.

You don't think that's because his offensive game is still developing as you noted earlier in your post?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Sure but I would think it's already developed to the point where PP2 is merited.

I think that Sully's a bit too conservative for that, especially since it's just his first pro season in general. Though, if this keeps up this year, I'd imagine he'd get a shot at it in training camp.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Marino's already playing 20+ minutes a night with all the team's defensive expectations loaded on him. I know the kid's a freak, but not adding further responsibilities to that right now seems sensible to me. Having him burn out on us would be a serious issue.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Marino's already playing 20+ minutes a night with all the team's defensive expectations loaded on him. I know the kid's a freak, but not adding further responsibilities to that right now seems sensible to me. Having him burn out on us would be a serious issue.
Exactly. His development plan is clearly working out very well, let's not mess with it.

Reactions: Trade and Peat

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Honest question when can we extend him? He's under contract for another year so is it July 1st?

Earlier the better because if he plays this way we need to immediately lock him up. I'm thinking as many years as you can in the 3-4 range would be unreal... hopefully realistic.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't want to exaggerate here, but seriously this Marino acquisition gives the Pens so many options moving forward. He's the real deal. Unless there is some serious regression or something unforeseen (this is the Pens afterall), the top 4 is set moving forward for at least next 2 years. That allows you to move on from Schultz if he doesn't take a team friendly deal and allocate cap/resources elsewhere.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don't want to exaggerate here, but seriously this Marino acquisition gives the Pens so many options moving forward. He's the real deal. Unless there is some serious regression or something unforeseen (this is the Pens afterall), the top 4 is set moving forward for at least next 2 years. That allows you to move on from Schultz if he doesn't take a team friendly deal and allocate cap/resources elsewhere.

Oh yea for sure. Marino's play essentially signed Schultz's death warrant here.

That being said I think they should keep Schultz this year unless they package him and Gally (expiring contracts) for a nice RHS

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

They may not need an elite 3C but they do need one who's consistent. As of now, there's really no proof they have one 100% locked in. Having a good 3C isn't asking for an elite 3C and is just having a proven commodity is not out of the question.

Expectations is to fill each important role with the best you can. 3C is no different.

Like... If your 3C isn't killing penalties, not very good at faceoffs they probably shouldn't be your 3C.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They may not need an elite 3C but they do need one who's consistent. As of now, there's really no proof they have one 100% locked in. Having a good 3C isn't asking for an elite 3C and is just having a proven commodity is not out of the question.

Expectations is to fill each important role with the best you can. 3C is no different.

Like... If your 3C isn't killing penalties, not very good at faceoffs they probably shouldn't be your 3C.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "downright ridiculous expectations". If you think McCann somehow hasn't proven he's a consistent 3C and is more than good enough for what the Penguins need in the 3C spot, you have unreasonable expectations. No, the expectation isn't to "fill each important role with the best you can". That is absolutely unreasonable and it leads to the idea that Pettersson somehow shouldn't be in the top-4 D, McCann can't be the 3C or other ridiculous stuff.

The expectation should be to have good players in every spot, while not having any glaring flaws on the roster. McCann in the 3C spot is 100% good. It doesn't matter if Pageau could be better in the spot, because McCann is already good enough for that spot. Same thing with Pettersson on the 2nd pair.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

At this juncture him hitting the “rookie wall” would be crippling for the blueline imo. I know that’s a bit dramatic but I think it’s true.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "downright ridiculous expectations". If you think McCann somehow hasn't proven he's a consistent 3C and is more than good enough for what the Penguins need in the 3C spot, you have unreasonable expectations. No, the expectation isn't to "fill each important role with the best you can". That is absolutely unreasonable and it leads to the idea that Pettersson somehow shouldn't be in the top-4 D, McCann can't be the 3C or other ridiculous stuff.

Emp, sometimes you are out of line because, if you don't think they can't improve upon guys who don't fill the positions actual job description and just because they got some nice production actually playing more than one position, "you are setting the bar way too low."

Reactions: EightyOne

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
A 3C will always have consistency issues. That’s why they are 3C’s. There will always be some complaints but remember why they are there and why they aren’t getting paid more.

I love Bones but he had his consistency issues too. Although he always was a warrior when it came to playoffs

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

The expectation should be to have good players in every spot, while not having any glaring flaws on the roster. McCann in the 3C spot is 100% good. It doesn't matter if Pageau could be better in the spot, because McCann is already good enough for that spot. Same thing with Pettersson on the 2nd pair.

People just don't understand depth. Both Pettersson and McCann are awesome at their jobs.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

It wasn't just Fox. They have or had Walsh too. Those 2 got the bulk of the offensive stuff and Marino handled the nitty gritty vs top lines no doubt.

I agree with the poster above that said theres no need to add anymore things he has to learn right now in PP'ing. I don't mind him getting some spot duty there(2D up in the 3rd) but let him focus on what he's been doing already.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm just over here being grateful if he can maintain his current level every game. If this kid actually consistently improves than this entire situation goes from "extremely fortunate" to "just fold the Oilers, already."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad